Author Topic:  Opry live for May 27
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 24 May 2000 3:15 pm    

TNN says it is sceduled this week
Jeannee Seeley hosts
Charlie Walker
Gary Mule Deer (comedian)
Phil Vasser (current song is Carlene on Arista)
Looks like steel will be heard

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 27 May 2000 5:22 pm    

I will give the full recap later after the west coast rerun.
However i missed whatever the award was that Charley Walker is receiving with Dale Evens
and posthumusly Bob Wills.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 27 May 2000 5:57 pm    

Wasn't to impressed with Vassar, his song writing is great but it's just another flash in the pan imitation country act. Jeannie Seely seemed brainwashed explaining the reason the new set will replace the old. Even heard a loud no and a sparce applause when she asked if the people like the idea. Sure was good seeing the clip of Paycheck and the opry sure could use him right about now. Sort of a weak show,but I still like Charlie Walker.Tommy did not have much of a workout. But thats just the tv half hour show.

------------------
CJC

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 27 May 2000 6:34 pm    

Alright someone notified me that Charlie Walker will be inducted into the Texas hall of Fame.

maby tommy did not get a workout but the Mrs got him a great camera shot.

My mother was upset when i said a loud remark to Jennie's comments about the new opry set.

As for the songs tonight, Walker and muledeer's were timely

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Bill Sharpe

Hermitage, TN 37076, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 2:02 am    

Gotta' agree with Joe; Jeannie S. acted like the good soldier for Pete Fisher & Co. and Tommy White did sound very good even for the short glimpse with Charlie Walker. Nice to see steel more prominent on the televised portion of the show.

Some very nice steel on the George Jones show too, which aired here after the Opry, by Tom Killen I believe.

------------------

B#

[This message was edited by Bill Sharpe on 28 May 2000 at 03:03 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bill Sharpe on 28 May 2000 at 03:06 AM.]

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 28 May 2000 3:56 am    

Anyone notice the band area is set up differently actually better organized,at the expense of the guest seating stands that were on stage. I wonder if they are eliminating the personal guest from backstage . A tradition for 75 years.I guess it's ok to change the set,The Opry has changed management.You can't tell the set difference on the radio.Got to rest up for my M'coyarama tommorrow,don't want to miss that.

------------------
CJC

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 4:07 am    

The original concept of the Grand Ole "Uproar" was that is was a radio program but had audiences. All the crap that was going on stage, getting the acts ready etch was part of the ambiance, including the stage guests. Much of that has been eliminated and they're obviously trying to make it a live stage show first and the radio broadcast as an incidental part of it.

It may have resembled total confusion on the stage but that was more or less an integral part of being the Opry. And what the opry was and still should be today.

As far as the types of music or the instrumentation, some of that has to evolve but if you take a successful traditional country music venue and convert it to a general music venue you have broke what didn't need fixing.
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 28 May 2000 5:50 am    

Stage sound was way off.The entertainment was nice but the sound department needs something.
Garryharris

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 6:34 am    

I was the "stage" guest of Buddy Harmond a few months prior to his being let go. It was worth the effort but seeing the back of performers heads while they perform is not the same as being in the audience.
My dad told me years ago that the Delmore Brothers were asked to sing more to the Opry audience. They were smart enough to know that the real audience was out there listening to their radios not the few hundred that were viewing them in person.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 28 May 2000 7:43 am    

Jeannie Seely said of the change in background. "Even we don't wear the same old clothes we did 22 years ago". She doesn't even have the same face she had 22 years ago,however she trys.
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 9:35 am    

As far as Phil Vasser! All we need is another non-country&non-steel artist to clutter up the stage! any one agree? kyle