| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Music From Ray Price
Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 10 May 2000 6:58 pm    

Just recieved this from Doug Davis' Classic Country Clips: New Music From Ray Price -- Country and pop veteran singer Ray Price has recorded a new album set for a May 16 release. According to the New York Times, the 75 year-old's first new album in a decade is titled Prisoner Of Love and is being described as a pop project on the Buddah/Justice label. Ray Price enjoyed much success as a country and crossover artist issuing such country classics as "Crazy Arms" and "For The Good Times." Both songs were pop hits as well. Price gathered several of his favorite classics to record for Prisoner Of Love, including "What a Wonderful World" and "Fly Me to the Moon." The big-band styled album is being called pop, but, as Price told the Times, "It's really not that differant than what I've been doing for years. The songs are different[but] the music really isn't."
Just curious, as to what some of the reactions about this are around here.
Truthfuly, mine are mixed. I think it's great, and no doubt, he sings them well. But, I'm gonna bet that there is "very, very little" pedal steel guitar on this.
If not: another "missed" opportunity for pedal steel guitar.

------------------
Tommy Minnier
JCH S/D10 3&4

[This message was edited by Tommy M on 10 May 2000 at 07:59 PM.]

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2000 6:31 am    

I agree, it's great for Ray. I'm glad to see him still going strong and still recording. That's what really counts.

A pop album is of little interst to me. I'd go for something along the lines of "Ray Price and the Cherokee Cowboys Reunited". That had some good country stuff like "A Different Kind of Flower".

------------------
HagFan
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2000 9:08 am    

Amen!
Garryharris

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2000 5:43 am    

A music store owner told me this story.
It seems that a friend of his, a steel player had always wanted to play for Ray Price and finally his dream came true. He arrived for a practice session early and eagerly awaited the arrival of "Mr. Big". Ray came in and didn't even bother to speak to the newest member of the band.
Brian Nelson

St.Paul
Post  Posted 15 May 2000 11:40 am    

Junior Brown sits in on a few numbers - see his webpage- juniorbrown.com for some other info on Ray's new album!