| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Across America
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2003 8:03 am    

A week or two back I asked on the Forum if anyone had tried the new Sierra SL-6 I was thinking of buying - no one had. Well having finally decided that pedals and 8-strings weren't for me, I went ahead and ordered one anyway and it's on it's way across the USA on its way to me eventually here in England. Tracking it via UPS I see it's gone fron South Bend, Fort Wayne, Louisville Kentucky, and rolled into Philadelphia this morning. To someone from England these names just sound SO romantic! Like the lyrics from "Route 66" or "Six Days on the Road" etc!!!
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2003 9:33 am    

Will it float?
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2003 2:34 pm    

Isn't the on-line tracking cool!? I usually check it 2-3 times a day when I'm eagerly awaiting an important package. Your guitar is getting a nice American tour...now, you'll have to come visit all those same cities sometime, Tony.

All the classic steel work of "the masters" (Dick McIntire, Sol Hoopii, etc) was done on a six-stringed instrument. Most of your playing is done on those top strings anyway...the bass notes just add some depth to the chords. But, if you're playing with a good bass player, he/she will be playing those notes for you...

Please keep us posted when you get your new axe! It's a Sierra, so I'm sure it will sound out of this world!
Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2003 11:31 pm    

Hi Tony, you are right about the names. I was playing in Nashville a few years ago (Oh good grief, it was ten!) and we drove down to Memphis, and there was just about a song title on every road sign. I wrote a song about it.
On the other hand there are signs in the UK which will be just as exotic to statesiders. There's one near me which says:-
Dymock, Little Marcle and Trumpet.
Sounds like a story for children to me.
Cheers
Dave
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2003 1:36 am    

Thanks guys - I'll let you know how the Sierra sounds when it gets here. As for place names, Elton John once had a song called "Grimsby" - doesn't sound very romantic to me! There once was a music hall comedian (do you use 'burlesque' in the States?) who took his name from a signpost "Hutton Conyers", and I believe the comedian Boothby Grafoe found his stage name the same way...
Harry Williams

Duncan, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2003 9:27 am    

"England swings like a pendulum do..."

Talking about place names, I love the whimsical names of the pubs in England - e.g. the Pig and Whistle... Do you have any familiarity with these types of locales Tony?

------------------
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2003 1:43 pm    

where do you think conway twitty got his name...