| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boomer Castleman CD!!!!
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2000 7:07 am    

Sleepy John - I'm working on getting the material together for another album. I'd like to write a little more of the selections on the next one, but still keep a balance between originals and standards. I've written one I think is going to work pretty well called "Pedal Pushers"; I've got my eye on some standards, but when my brain tells my hands which ones they are, there's a major fight in my body amongst those body parts Best, Boomer
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2000 10:27 am    

Hey Boomer,
The nearest I can find out from my weak sources in So.Cal is that Bonnie Price is still alive but living in a nursing home somewhere in the L.A. area. She was a great old gal! If she liked you and you'd ever worked for her before she'd find a place for you in the band somehow. Remember that big old house of her's outside the back door? I loved that great big old club with it's great bandstand and sound. Those were the days when the mixer was off the bandstand and not being touched by some soundman who didn't know squat about how a band should sound. No instruments were ever miked but you could hear everything great in that club as the pickers knew how to do their own sound. I got some good experience as Billy Mize would just walk up and start singing without ever telling the band what key or song he was doing. We'd just have to jump in and wing it.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2000 10:04 pm    

Jerry If you can find out the name of the nursing home she's in sometime in the forseeable future, I'd like to drop her a line just to say "hi" and "thanks". She was always really nice to me anytime I was playing at the Foothill. Thanks, Jerry. Best, Boomer
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 1 May 2000 9:26 pm    

Boomer and everyone, the promo CD is hot stuff.
When this sucker comes out tell everyone, Boomer is definately in the top pickers in the world, a fine set of songs and arrangements.

Well done Boomer!

------------------
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2000 8:15 pm    

Thanks for the plug Jason: Let's get something going with "Personal Notes" down under so I can book something there next December/January while its cold here and warm there. Best, Boomer
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 3 May 2000 1:37 am    

Yeah that would be cool, and with the Australian dollar at an all time low {groan}, the pay side of it wouldn't be too exciting, but everything else would be pretty cheap!

Seriously though, it's a great time of year to come out, although it has been a little hot the last couple of years. Definately keep in touch on this subject Boomer.

------------------
Joel Glassman

Waltham MA USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2000 10:13 am    

Yes Boomer!
I really have enjoyed listening to your CD-
especially Workingman's Blues which is played with a lot of fire and San Antonio Rose.
Your playing is inventive and original--
there is a very beautiful steel lick in Rose. Also the music is varied but is programmed
well (I've heard so many instrumental CDs which are just a hodgepodge of styles...)
Best of all it has a good country feel.
Congratulations---Joel
ROBERT LEE CRIGGER

JOHNSON CITY, TENNESSEE
Post  Posted 3 May 2000 3:32 pm    

BOOMER--My name is Robert Crigger--I used to go by "Bobby Lee" in Calif. I played 7 nights a week for a year at the foothill club for Bonnie price--Billy Mize fronted the band and Cliff Crawford joined us on fri. and sat. nights, and ran the band on monday nights. I had a lot of good times in those days--I played an after-hours jam session with Al Bruno, Archie Francis, Dale Bennet, and sometimes Tony or Larry Booth at the Imperial Inn in Sante Fe Springs for 4 years. I met you a few times around S. calif. in the late 60's early 70's--didn't know you were in Nashville--I play piano for Jean Shepard on the Opry every weekend--good to hear about the old gang--Glad to hear you survived them too--ha-ha- you know what I mean--will be watching the forum for more stuff about the good old days--Do you have Sammy Master's and Carl walden's and Eddie Drakes e-mail addresses? Would like to hear from them---ROBERT LEE CRIGGER
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 7:45 pm    

Joel - Thanks for the plug on "Personal Notes" I think "Rose of San Antone" is one of my personal cover favorites as well.
Dixieflyer, Bigsby sold out just this past year to Gretch Guitars (Ted McCarty, the president of Bigsby is in his early nineties and blind), so it was the right thing to do. The best I can tell you to do is to call Gretch to find out the status of the various Bigsby lines. Robert, its been a long time since those days in Southern California. I remember the Imperial Inn with Al Bruno, Bill Hoffman (may he rest in peace) and all of the others. I miss those days, and, unfortunately all of those clubs are gone now. Best, Boomer