| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  FYI:Old Time Hawaiian MP3 CD
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2001 5:23 pm    

Saw this listed on the San Francisco Weekly web site, on a nice article about steel guitars:
Dave Stewart is a collector of 78 RPM Hawaiian records who has assembled a one-of-a-kind "Waikiki is Good Enough For Me" MP3 CD, containing 188 songs from Hawaiian 78's originally recorded from 1925-1938.
This CD will not play on your stereo; only on your computer. More details available on his web site.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

David Siegler

Mill Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2001 7:32 pm    

Brad,

Thanks for the heads up. That's a lot of music! :-0

David
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2001 8:07 pm    

Thanks - looks like a Christmas present is headin' my way!!
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2001 9:02 am    

Thanks, Brad! This looks cool.
Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2001 1:25 pm    

I just got the CD and have been listening to it off and on for the last week. It's a blast. If you like vintage Hawaiian music you should get it.

The audio quality is surprisingly good. There is some surface noise and pops, but I don't find that it interferes with my listening enjoyment. I'm impressed by how much detail you can hear in the recordings.

The performances range from great to not-so-great, but it's not as though the CD has a lot of junk filler. Anyway, the lesser performances make you better appreciate the good ones.

The liner notes are minimal - it is just a list of titles and artists. It would have been nice if it included the year of the recording. I wish the CD contained track lists sorted by title and artist. Winamp lets me generate a track list sorted by artist, but I can't easily generate a list sorted by title.

If you don't own any vintage Hawaiian CDs then you're probably better off getting the collections of Hawaiian 78s on Rounder or Folklyric. Those are worth it for the detailed liner notes and the fact that they contain representative collections of some of the better recordings. But if you've already got those CDs then this CD is a really nice supplement. I find it absolutely fascinating having 180+ recordings and 9+ hours of vintage Hawaiian music to pick through.
Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2002 12:50 pm    

If you bought this CD or are thinking about buying it you might want to know that Dave Stewart has updated his website to include a discography. It lists the dates and personnel for all of the recordings.

Go here and scroll down to the discography section: http://www.beerrecords.com/waikiki.htm

[This message was edited by Gary Anwyl on 10 July 2003 at 09:31 AM.]

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2002 12:58 pm    

Thanks for the tip, Gary. I agree wholeheartedly - this is a great collection and most of the cuts are pretty good. Heck, I would've bought the CD just to have Ralph Kolsiana's version of "Who" and "singin' in the Rain" done on acoustic steel.
Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2003 8:29 am    

There is now a Volume 2 available called Rhythm of the Waves. The webpage is here: http://www.beerrecords.com/RhythmCD.htm

It's another 10 hours of Hawaiian Steel 78s!

I just got mine and gave it a listen. There's plenty of good stuff - about 35 Sol Hoopii tracks, 18 King Bennie Nawahi tracks, more Johnny Noble Brunswick recordings, Kalama's Quartet, two Jim and Bob tracks. There's some country stuff as well, but I even find that interesting to listen to.

By the way, Beer Records now has it's own website at http://www.beerrecords.com

I've been playing in a trio that is working on some old-time and Hawaiian tunes. The Waikiki disc has been an great source of tunes and examples of the musical styles from that period.

[This message was edited by Gary Anwyl on 10 July 2003 at 01:57 PM.]

Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2003 9:55 am    

I thought I'd mention two things I did to enhance my listening pleasure of these CDs.

One thing I did was buy a CD player that plays MP3s. I find it nicer to listen on music a CD player rather than on my computer. Nowadays you can get MP3 CD players for under $30.

The other thing I did was rearrange the tracks. The Waikiki CD has the tracks ordered by Record Label number. That's a good way to organize it for archival purposes, but it's not the best way to listen to it. I copied the MP3s from the CD to my hard disk, put them into separate folders based on the artist and then burned that onto a CD. I think it's a more natural way to group the tracks. I found it easier to absorb the music if I could listen to all the tracks by one artist. It also makes it easier to navigate the CD.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2003 11:59 am    

Thanks for the update ... I really enjoyed Vol 1 ...

------------------

www.horseshoemagnets.com
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2003 1:38 pm    

I put my MP3's in my DVD player. Another alternative if you have a newer version DVD that plays MP3 and .jpg files etc.

If you don't - you may get a better deal upgrading your DVD player vs. buying a CD/MP3 player. Just depends on your prefered listening habits.

chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon"
www.book-em-danno.com