| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rob Ickes
Lindley

Statesville, NC...USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 12:51 pm    

As I've said here a few times lately, I'm trying to learn to play dobro. I don't know too much about who the hot pickers are, but I was down at the music store in my town this morning and I found two videos that turned out to be treasures. "Essential Techniques for Dobro" tapes one and two by Rob Ickes. What a great set of tapes. He has to be one of the top pickers. If you're learning, like me, I strongly recommend this series. I have also ordered The Jerry Douglas instructional video. Are there any other recommendations?

Thanks guys...
John

[This message was edited by Lindley on 01 July 2003 at 01:55 PM.]

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 2:23 pm    

Anything by Mike Auldridge from here!

Howard

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT-L

[This message was edited by Howard Parker on 01 July 2003 at 03:24 PM.]

[This message was edited by Howard Parker on 01 July 2003 at 03:25 PM.]

[This message was edited by Howard Parker on 01 July 2003 at 03:26 PM.]

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2003 4:23 pm    

Howard's right on, Lindley. The Douglas video is incredible, but was hard for me to follow. I've never used Mike's videos, but face to face, he explains things so even an idiot like me can understand. Since you're in Statesville, you could arrange to go to Maryland, and take a leson or two. Well worth the money! Just contact Mike via his website. And isn't dobro a wonderful instrument?
Lindley

Statesville, NC...USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 2:29 am    

Steven,
Thanks for the reply. I may just go up for a session. Yes, the dobro is a wonderful instrument. I'll confess, I've never really liked the sound of a dobro. I've been around music all of my life, and much of it was bluegrass, which I didn't care for either. My brother-in-law was a champian fiddle player, and I traveled around some with him when I was younger. I heard lots of dobro, but I never could embrace it as a serious instrument. As I got older, I drifted into country music. I later became a country songwriter. I was writing for, and traveling with Randy Travis. He has a song called "For Ever and Ever Amen". There is a little dobro run in that song that Gary Carter played (little electric dobro thing he placed on his steel for the song. Maybe some of you know what it was.) I didn't pay it much attention, but I did like the run. After some time went by the dobro began to show up in country music in a new form, with runs and progressions that rivaled the steel. I listened closer. I don't really know what happened, but one day I woke and said to myself, "I simply must learn to play that dang dobro". It might have had something to do with the fact that I went to sleep the night before listening to Alison Krauss....Now, I can't get enough of it. Good luck with your playing..

John

------------------
Steel crazy after all these years.
Emmons Lashley Legrande 111 S-10, Nashville 1000, Peavey Stereo chorus 212, Peavey Classic 50/410, Lexicon MPX 100, Crafters of Tennessee Virginian reso.

sliding bill

UK
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 12:30 pm    

The Homespun tapes from Stacy Phillips are a worthy addition to your collection.
I also gained a lot from Doug Cox in terms of blues type phrases.
I can also highly recommend Sally Van Meter's tab book and CD --- I wish I could get near her amazing tone and timing.

Cheers,

Bill in UK
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 8:39 am    

i've got a mel bay deluxe dobro tune book by stacey phillips....is there a record or tape that goes with it? it would really help since i don't know lots of the tunes.
Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2003 9:45 am    

I've seen the Bob Brozman hawaiian guitar video and it's very good. I've heard that Kelly Joe Phelps' video is good too. They're not pure "Dobro" videos (in the sense that they're not country or bluegrass) but Brozman and Phelps have their own unique take on the lap guitar--more oriented towards solo playing.

-Travis
Bob Storti

Matthews, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2003 8:02 am    

Hi John

You may want to check out Rob Ickes' tab book that covers all his solos on the first three Blue Highway CD's. It available through Homespun and it's just great. Blue Highway is my very favorite bluegrass group and Rob is really the heart of the band. I saw them earlier this year at Denton NC: great band and great people to talk with.

Best of luck with this wonderful instrument!

Bob