| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Owana Salazar Coming on Strong in Hawaii
Jack Byrd

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2003 6:03 pm    

I met Owana in the most unusual way. I didn’t know what see looked like in the least. While we were attending the Merrie Monarch Festival last year in Hilo, Hawaii we were checking out the crafts on display in the Civic Center and on one of the tables I spied a CD display which had a CD of Owana’s. I picked it up and was telling my daughter that I thought see was one of Jerry’s past students. The gal behind the table overheard our conversation and asked if I knew Jerry. I said yes I did that I was his brother. She came running from behind the table and grabbed my daughter and started jumping up and down with excitement and said I am Owana Salzar. After that display she came over to me and put her arms around me a give me a big kiss. We then had the most beautiful conversation for some time. Needless to say she didn’t sell anything while all of this was going on.

Owana is the only female who has graduated from Jerry’s course of instruction. She is a wonderful musician and vocalist, playing steel, slack key and uke and with a pure clear voice that is just great. Her latest CD “Wahine Slack ‘N Steel” won a Na Hoku award this year. It is a great CD in which all of you who love Hawaiian music will surely love. She is a comer on the Hawaiian scene, a great gal who is starting to make her mark in the islands. A great person who puts her all into her music. Give it a listen on www.mele.com. She produced the CD herself, plays slack key, uke and steel backing herself up and also plays a steel solo, “How D’ya Do”. I am listening to it while I am writing this and just love it.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2003 9:35 pm    

About 15 years ago, Owana was featured in Jerry's Ho'olaule'a and she played some mighty nice stuff on her JB Frypan. She is also an exceptional singer and slack key artist. Owana has been on the Waikiki scene for many years, recently completed a tour on the mainland where she wowed many audiences with her multi talent. A lovely lady who, I think can trace her heritage back to Hawai'i's Monarchy which probably makes her a Princess...(I stand to be corrected.)
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2003 3:34 pm    

You see, Jack !! It all comes back. Be a nice guy and look what you get..... Wow !!

Regards, Paul