| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Syndicated Country Music T.V. shos of the 60's and 70's
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 7:59 am    

What Country music series of the earlier days , BC (before cable) do you remember? In my area these shows were syndicated and shown usually at odd times, and frequently preempted. Some I remember are, Country Carnival with both Billy Walker and Del Reeves as hosts, Hugh X. Lewis' Country Club, Purinas That Good Old Nashville Music, Etc. Any thoughts or memories?

------------------
"Oh the girls all get prettier at closing time"
Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 3:05 pm    

Someone posted here back in 1997 about the Porter Waggoner show, which I got on Satellite for a while thanks to the heads-up.
There was a good one out of LA long ago, with the likes of The Collins Kids, Joe Maphis, and James Burton (et al).
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 3:30 pm    

Bill Anderson had a show, with Sonny Garrish on steel. I went to a couple of the tapings they did - I believe it was Channel 8 in Nashville (that was 30 years ago and I hope I remembered the correct TV station they did the taping at).
S Pickens

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 5:05 pm    

How about The Buck Owens Ranch Show? Or, The Marty Robbins Show? Or, The Jim and Jesse Show?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 6:42 pm    

Those were great days in my opinion. My dad and I started watching on Saturdays at 2 in the afternoon and watched until 10 that night here in Okla. Shows included Billy Walker show, Porter Wagoner, Wilburn Brothers (with Hal Rugg), Buck Owens, Billy Parker (Tulsa show and once a Texas Troubador), Bill Anderson, Ernest Tubb, Mathis Brothers (OKC show), Jude and Jody (OKC show), and must be others as that isnt 8 hours worth ! Maybe my memory has exaggerated the time frame! Anyway I have dozens of reel to reel recordings of these shows that I cant play anymore because I dont have a working reel to reel. If I did I would put them on CD. There is some great early stuff by Merle Haggard and Waylon being backed up Tom Brumley, and Faron Young in the same setting, as well as other guests who were on these shows. I need to buy a reel to reel I guess and get to work recording these. By the way I did have a small amount of them copied onto cassette and gave the Hal Rugg instrumentals to him at one of the steel shows once. He was very gracious and appreciative of it. What a great player and person he is.
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 9:00 pm    

Anyone remember the Bonnie Lou and Buster show? They ended up in Pigeon Forge, Tn. and from there, I don't have a clue. Also, one summer, back in the 60's, instead of showing reruns, Dean Martin had an entire summer of nothing but Country Music. I don't remember the name but I do remember it was in color and it was solid country. Hank Thompson also had a series where in the opening credits, he flies into his ranch in a helicopter. The Brazos Valley Boys also had twin steels.
Randy Gipson

Poteau, ok.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 11:38 pm    

Does anyone remember the Rusty Draper show from the early 60s. I believe Roy clark was a regular on that show. Use to come on at noon when I was home from school in 3rd grade.
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 10:03 am    

I barely remember the Porter Wagner show(Stu Basore) and Marty Robbins...That Nashville Music....
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 10:55 am    

Weren't they showing this type of thing on the Outlaw Channel? Seems I heard it went belly up? Just my luck, right before I got a satellite system.

David
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 11:22 am    

David,
Yes, they were showing that stuff on Willie's Outlaw Music Channel, but...
You can still watch the same programming via the internet at ]www.broadcast.com/concerts/willienelson/nationtv/
Lot's of good stuff there, like Hal Rugg on the Wilburn Brothers Show, etc...

Lem

[This message was edited by Lem Smith on 04 April 2000 at 12:33 PM.]

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 1:20 pm    

Jim Ed Browns,"The Country Place"1968-71
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 3:09 pm    

Hey Earl...
Wonder why you remember that???
Seriously though...man, you did some great pickin' on that show!!!

Lem
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 4:49 pm    

Lem,thanks so much for remembering.Didn't think anybody ever saw that show.It was fun to do.Do you remember Blake Emmons? Just before the show canceled,Chrystal Gayle was the co-host.
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 5:56 pm    

Earl,
Although I don't remember it from it's original airing, I always looked forward to them running in on the Outlaw Channel when it was on satellite.

Yeah, I remember Blake on that show. Always wondered if he was any relation to Buddy Emmons? One other thing Earl...I've got a few of the episodes on video tape if you don't have any, I'll be happy to send you a copy of 'em.

Lem
Tommy Mark

Port Perry Ont, Can.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 6:26 pm    

Didn`t Blake Emmons host one called Funny Farm. It was a take off of Hee Haw.
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 6:52 pm    

Lem,Tommy,I doubt that Blake is related to Buddy.Blake is from Canada and after the show was canceled I never knew what happened to him.He played a few package shows with us and I never saw him again after that.Never heard another word about him after all these years.Dam...that sounds like a great song title.
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 8:09 pm    

Earl, I remember that show. What was that steel guitar you were playing at that time? It seems to me that there was something different about it. Tim R.
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 8:12 pm    

Tim,I was the guitar player on the "Country Place". Hank Corwin was the steel player.
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 8:27 pm    

Thanks for setting me straight on that Earl. I learn something everyday. I admit it was a long time ago, I guess I was in the 8th or 9th grade back in 1968 and never was a very bright child. By the way Hank Corwin is a wonderful player, I wonder if he ever participates in this forum--I don't recall seeing his name on any posts here in the recent short time I've been participating. Tim R.
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 9:03 pm    

Tim,Hank and I keep in touch by phone every couple of months.We don't live close enough to visit.He has a computer but his wife uses it mostly. He told me he looks at the forum from time to time but won't post anything.
Don't know if you heard this but Porter fired Hank a couple of months ago and hired Fred Newell to play steel.Hank doesn't play much anymore.He and his wife are in the dog show business and Hank goes to poker tournaments.He is a very good poker player.
Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 11:03 pm    

Hank Corwin is a great guy! I consider him my freind and respect him greatly for what he knows on steel guitar.When it comes to playing chords on the E9th, Hank can play what most people would only try to play on the C6th. I have been after him for awhile now to put out an instructional course on how to play C6th on E9th. Anyone interested in learning chords for E9th should contact Hank. Tell him I told you so!
Hank really got the shaft on the Porter thing! It is a shame, because those who know Hank know what a great player he really is.
We miss him on the Opry.Hank and I used to have some good times talking about steel between "spots" there.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2000 2:41 am    

Earl and I have talked about Hank before on the Forum. Hank attended the Julliard Conservatory of Music and is deep into theory. Every time Hank would come into Little Roy's store I would start picking his brains on C6th stuff (I had only been playing steel about 2 years at the time) and I learned quite a bit from him.

I've seen Hank many times sit down with sheet music for something he had to learn for a session and play it the first time on C6th, then transfer it to the E9th. I noticed in later years he was playing E9th only with Porter.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2000 7:53 am    

Dave,

When Hank was winding up with Jim Ed Brown, and Mike Smith was coming on, I saw them play twin a couple of times, and it was incredible. Both Hank and Mike are talents that sure don't get the recognition they deserve.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2000 12:48 pm    

One show nobody mentioned,Nashville on the road,with Leroy Van Dyke.That good old Nashville Music with Ralph Emery.
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2000 2:08 pm    

Joe,Nashville On The Road was hosted by Jim Ed Brown and Jerry Clower,I was there.The show started taping in the spring of 1975 and I did the first 26 shows before I quit.Leroy was a guest on one of the shows.