| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ray Price on Louisiana Hayride?
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 7:28 am    

I'd like to share an email I received yesterday:
quote:
Dear Bobby:

My name is Joey Kent and I am the owner of the Louisiana Hayride. Ray performed on our show a total of eight times in the fifties and sixties. I have archival recordings of ten songs of his from shows in 1958 and 1962 that I am wanting to release as part of a sixty + album series I am doing with Music Mill Entertainment and Time-Life. Ray has just become aware of the project through Step One Records which does not want the project out. Plus, Ray has never released anything that has not been done strictly in the studio and is leery of the quality of the material. He and his attorney are reviewing the decision to let the material out or not and I will respect his wishes either way. With over 3000 songs to pick from by all the top names in country music, I can easily fill the void in terms of product but not in terms of artistry. I think it would be a shame for me to chronicle the history of the Hayride and leave out someone as vital as Ray. I am writing you today to appeal to you and the fans at large to encourage Ray to allow this material to be released. It is all wonderful stuff and I can assure you I am legitimate as are the labels I am involved with: all royalties will be paid in a timely fashion. It has taken me too many years and dealings with too many less than reputable outfits to get this far and my standards are very high. I would encourage Ray to contact former Hayriders like Tommy Hill or Jim Ed Brown to enquire of my character. For now, I have pulled the product from the lineup (it was to come out in May) but will reinsert it if Ray wants me to. A copy of some of the material has been overnighted to his attorney for assessment. If you are so inclined, please do what you can to encourage Ray that the Hayride anthology series and the airing of these historic early performances is a desirable thing among the fans. He would be in good company. A partial listing of other featured Hayriders include: Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Jim Reeves, George Jones, Johnny Horton, Jimmy Martin, Hank Snow, Wynn Stewart, Kitty Wells, Roy Clark, Minnie Pearl, Loretta Lynn, Ferlin Husky, Webb Pierce, Slim Whitman, and on and on. The tracks I have on Ray include:

City Lights
Crazy Arms
I Wonder If I'll Ever Hold You Again
I'll Sail My Ship Alone
I'm Getting Tired
Letters Have No Arms
Oklahoma Hills
Release Me
Take These Chains
You Done Me Wrong

If you can help in any way to "sway the jury", I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Joey Kent
The Louisiana Hayride
2001 Pepper Ridge Drive
Shreveport, LA 71115
(318) 797-8975
joeykent@shreve.net

I had never heard of Joey Kent before getting this email. He sounds like he's on the up-and-up. I know I would love to hear those recordings! Comments?

------------------
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)
Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 1:00 pm    

Bob,
I worked for the Hayride in the mid 70's. At that time David Kent was the owner. David passed away a few years ago. About a year ago I tried to contact Frank Page at KWKH to see if any of the old show tapes, during the time that I was employed, were still around. The station manager sent an email saying that Frank was trying to get some of the old tapes together. A few months later I got an email from Joey Kent, David Kent's son. He said that he did not have the tapes for the years that I played there, but he had other tapes that he would share for a nominal fee. That's the last contact that I had with him. I can't speak for his son because I've never met him but David Kent seemed to be an alright guy.

I hope this helps.

Ken

[This message was edited by Ken Williams on 01 March 2000 at 01:07 PM.]

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 6:48 pm    

The question is: "What can we do?"

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
www.sinkler.com

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 7:22 pm    

That's what I was wonderin' Richard. Kinda like askin' the wagon to pull the horse!!

[This message was edited by Tommy M on 01 March 2000 at 07:23 PM.]

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 3:46 pm    

It's my opinion to leave this alone. I had a few words with Herb Steiner and gave it some serious thought.
This is not a case where a label is cutting an artest out of royelties etc.
The folks doing this series were good about
going thru proper channels and Ray's refusel
should be his choice.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 4:49 pm    

I agree, Janice. I'm hoping that the recordings themselves will change Ray's mind. I'd love to hear them, but the artist should have the final say in whether a recording is released or not.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 6:57 pm    

I agree that it's fitting Ray should have the final say.

I like Ray because he couldn't stay retired due to his love of performing his music.

I wish I could find the original "Ray Price and the Cherokee Cowboys Reunited" on a CD.

------------------
HagFan
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:23 pm    

You know, I always thought I was wrong on a lot of things, until one day I found out
I was only mistaken.
But I do plead ignorance on this one, everyone.
What is/was the Louisiana Hayride?

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 2:03 pm    

Chip,
I'll try to give a "short or small" answer about the "Hayride".
Kinda' what the Grand 'Ol Opry was to WSM and a lot of folks east of the Mississippi, the Louisiana Hayride was to KWKH and a lot of folks west of the Mississippi. It was just a big shindig show put on every week, just like the opry only out of Shreveport. Many and most of the same big names on the Opry would appear on the Hayride too. It was a "grand" production in its' own right and gave many an artist his/her/they (groups) their start to fame. It was "down home" and not nearly so many "politics" involved as with other shows, which will go unnamed, but I'm sure of which you know that I speak. I've heard, but don't know for sure, that it may be started/starting back up. If this is true, it can be nothing but a big plus for country music and its' fans.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2000 6:18 am    

Thanks BB, that is about as good an explanation as you can get. It's a shame...
someone out there oughta try and bring it back...give THAT other place a run for the money.

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5
Moon in Alaska

Kasilof, Alaska * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2000 10:12 am    

B0b, I got an E-mail fron that guy. He is the son of David, who used to own the hayride. He give me a link where some old hayride CD/cassettes are available == www.musicmill.com I thought someone might be interested !

[This message was edited by Moon in Alaska on 04 March 2000 at 10:14 AM.]