| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String suggestions?
Lindley

Statesville, NC...USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2003 2:04 pm    

I just bought a new Crafters Virginian. I want to put some new strings on it, but I have no idea what the better strings are. I'm sure there are different opinions about this. I'll be playing mostly country, (when I learn to play at all) and I have not a clue. Heavy gauge...light gauge...Are there strings that break on dobros like the 2nd string on a steel. I'd appreciate any help with this. Has anyone seen the Paul Beard "Set Up And Maintenance" video? Would it be of any value to a new player?

Thanks guys..

John
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2003 10:02 pm    

John,
Assuming you are tuning GBDGBD (lo to hi) and your guitar is around 25 inch scale squareneck, there are some prepackaged sets that are very good. I can recommend D'Addario "flat tops".
They are phosphor bronze wound and then flattend. (not flat wound) Flat so they are quiet while sliding. Anyway they sound great and last a long time.

Elderly Instruments website has lots of dobro sets to choose from. Also, juststrings.com has many.

I don't think you can make a bad choice. Some like nickel, some like phosphor bronze.
There are no light gauge or medium gauge sets like there are for a regular six string geetar.
As you search you will see that individual string sizes will be slightly different from one mfg to another. Not to worry.
String breakage is not a problem for me.
(your mileage may vary)

Ron

------------------
Stringmaster T8, Benoit 8, National Tricone, MSA U12

[This message was edited by Ron Randall on 24 June 2003 at 11:12 PM.]

Wayne Carver

Martinez, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 4:07 am    

Could someone explain flat strings. I've always wondered how you get the flat side up to make sliding quieter/smoother.
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 5:47 am    

I think you'd like heavy strings for bluegrass G tuning, as you'll probably find yourself pushing harder with both hands for acoustic volume when playing with other instruments in an ensemble setting and you don't want to bottom out. That extra physical "oomph" is part of the bluegrass sound, even if you have a loud Dobro to begin with. A heavy first string (D) is especially desirable, and many players like Uncle Josh Graves use the same gage for the first AND second strings. This also gives you a relatively slack 2nd string, so you can do behind the bar bends with your ring finger -- pulling the B string up to C as a suspended 4th within the major GBD triad. I am using Beard Special 29's on my prewar Dobro, which are very heavy -- something like 0.018 to 0.060. They sound great and they don't break.

Regarding the flattened strings, I believe that they are wound with round wire, and then the wound "assembly" is flattened for 360 degrees around -- so that they look and feel something like the old flatwound or tapewound strings that we used to buy.
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 8:06 am    

(reread your post)...and even if you plan to play something other than bluegrass, I'd make the same basic observations.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 12:12 pm    

D, or?, are they ground or pressed to flatten?

------------------
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 12:36 pm    

I like D'Addario's EJ42's for bluegrass&country and just about anything else as well .016,.018,.026,.035,.045,.056
phosphor bronze.
my 2 cents,
Larry

------------------
Larry Robbins
Sho-Bud ProII,
Morrell lap steel,Reagl 75 dobro and Marshall half stack(I know,I know)

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 2:30 pm    

The D'Addario's are ground (all the way around) to remove the peaks and valleys after winding. It produces a round string that is very quiet under the bar during slides. Smooth and powerful enough. It is not clunky like a flatwound. Check their website.

The Beard Specials and John Pearse's reso strings (nickel wound) are loud and clear.

Lots of choices, and no bad ones, IMHO.

------------------
Stringmaster T8, Benoit 8, National Tricone, MSA U12

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 4:26 pm    

All the above plus my own favorites;
Newtones 'National' strings, .016-.059.
Very little stringnoise, big sound and relative low tension because of their round core.
They also work well on weissenborn guitars, as does their 'Aloha' strings (.015-.056).
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 7:03 pm    

The J42's, for sure. They're round-wound, phosphor bronze, and they last pretty good. I like to substitute, and use .017, .018, .027, .035, .045, .056. If you play bluegrass, you'll appreciate the heavier third. The windings separate from the core, and the bigger string lasts a little longer.