| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stevens?
Lindley

Statesville, NC...USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 12:38 pm    

Is there more than one Stevens bar. I read where someone here had ordered a Stevens bar and it was rough or pitted. I hapen to live in a town where there is a store that sells Stevens bars. Today, I looked at every bar he had, and they were all rough or pitted. I have a Scheerhorn S16 ordered, but I thought Stevens was suppose to be a great bar. Many people advised me to use them, as I am a beginner. I couldn't even start to use something that rough on my steel.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 1:05 pm    

That might have been me you're referring to,- I gave them up after buying three bars from three different sources and they were all much too rough and one actually had a cut that made it completely useless.
Unfortunately, where I live there's no shops that carry steelbars so I have to rely on online ordering.

Anyway,- after that experience I started buying Shubb bars, first model 1 and then model 2 which is still my favorite.
I'm now waiting for one of Gary Swallows GS1 bars but modified by him so it has a rounded tip on one end just like the SP2.

When I first started playing lap steel in '99 I used the Stevens bar and found them to be quite good, but it's hard to say if it's the bars that's become worse or me who's become better and more picky.
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 3:15 pm    

The quality of the Stevens is worse now than just a few years ago. Like many products that were the standard, the quality gets worse.
Even so, that rough surface can give a gritty bluesy sound people like.

imho

Ron

Al Braun

Dunnellon, FL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 3:39 am    

I have a couple Stevens bars that are probably 45 years old that are still smooth and servicable, no scars except a couple small dings where I have mishandled them. They were so smooth in fact that I used a needle point punch to roughen one up where the end of my forefinger rests and also the thumb groove. The chrome is wearing thin and the brass is beginning to shine through along the bottom. I guess they maybe don't make things like they used to. I use them occasionally for Dobro. AL
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 4:03 am    

I'll go along with Stienar on that!
I have a Steavens thats about twenty years old...not bad.And one thats about two years
old...peice of $#!*.I really like the shub/pearse bars.the SP2 in particular.
If a peice has a lot of pull-offs I turn it around and use the straight end.Every one of them I'v seen has been good quality.
Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Larry Robbins
Sho-Bud ProII,
Morrell lap steel,Reagl 75 dobro and Marshall half stack(I know,I know)

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 4:50 am    

A few months ago my teenage son wanted to learn some blues slide licks using a bar. We looked at all the Stevens bars in the store, five or six samples. Each one we examined had minute and not so minute scratches.

Steven's quality has gone down.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 6:45 am    

I'm so used to the bullet nosed bar, I use it when I play acoustic steel. I have a stevens bar, but never use it...it gets caught in the strings too much since it's flat on the end. I find bar slants to be more difficult with the stevens, too.

If you're used to the bigger pedal steel bars, you might try a smaller, light weight bullet nosed bar, so it will be easy to pick up for hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Hope this helps...

Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 4:31 pm    

Try the Jim Dunlop LapDawg (no bullet, but larger radius on the curve) under $20. and smooth as silk. The newer Stevens are junk. I have several older (pat.pending) great bars and some newer that don't compare. www.Lapdancerguitars.com
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 7:05 pm    

I also have seen far too many examples of extremely poor finish on the newer Stevens. What can a manufacturer be thinking when they let one of their flagship products, and one that's almost an icon in the reso industry, slide so far downhill? This one is a real mystery to me.

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com
My Bands: Sugarland Kate and the Retreads Kecia Garland Band Shane Bridges Band Dell Conner Blues Band

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 7:16 pm    

Loni Spector is correct, he has your answer. The Dunlop "stevens Copy" bar.