| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Advice on Pickups
Clyde Willis

Denham Springs, LA 70726
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2003 4:05 pm    

I am in the process of building a double 8 (C6 & E9) with a 24" scale, and I'm looking for a Stringmaster, type sound. I have the the body and hardware designed, but the pickups have me stumped. I'm on a somewhat limited budget, but I know from experience that it's not always wise to seclect gear from the standpoint of price alone. There are so many pickups to choose from in a wide variety of prices, and I want to make the best choice for the available bucks. I would really appreciate some advice from you experienced player/builders out there.
Thanks!
Clyde
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2003 5:48 pm    

WEll how much avaliable bucks do ya got???
There is only one guy in the world that could do what I wanted on my dream steel.....and his name is Jason Lollar.
I am a huge Fender Stringmaster nut.....and I wanted to build my own (non-corners cut) steel....and Jason came through BIG TIME on the stringmaster style pickup system w/blend control.
It is the most awesome sound and response that my guitar can imagine.....why here's a picture of it right here>

Here is Jason's Site> http://www.lollarguitars.com
Here is Jason's E-mail> info@lollarguitars.com
...and Here is the best advice I can ever give>
JASON LOLLAR IS DA'MAN

------------------
Ricky Davis

My Homepage
Rebelâ„¢ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@aol.com

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 7:12 am    

Seymour Duncan makes them as part of their Antiquity series of pickups. I've used their Antiquity Strat, Tele, P-bass, and P90 pickups and they are excellent recreations of the originals (I have some of those too). Price is pretty reasonable.
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 7:17 am    

I second - Jason Lollar! www.berkleyguitars.com
------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon" www.book-em-danno.com

[This message was edited by seldomfed on 13 June 2003 at 08:18 AM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 7:56 am    

A couple of problems, Clyde---

1) I think you are mistaken---there aren't all that many pickups to choose from (8 string)

2) You already have a sound in your head (a good one)you wish to achieve so just any old pickup won't do.

Forgetting about string spacing for a moment, some people have tried PSG pickups and it can definitely work but it will probably have a hotter, wider sound than that Stringmaster twang. In other words, more like a modern pedal steel. A couple of Telecaster type pickups, staggered, might get you closer. Lower quality ones can be had for under $40 apiece. But string spacing becomes an issue, in terms of getting the pole pieces lined up with the strings. An alternative would be rail-type instead of pole pieces.

Bill Lawrence also makes an 8 string Pup.

This is obviously an important component. I'm with you in wanting to watch the budget but this is a hard place to cut corners.

Just some thoughts.......
Clyde Willis

Denham Springs, LA 70726
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2003 9:21 am    

Many thanks for the input. Ricky and Seldom fed, I checked out Jason Lollar"s site and he has just what I'm looking for..... but sadly two set of two is out of my price range. Mike,I looked at the S/D Antiquity series, but again they are a bit beyond my range. Jon, I agree that string spacing is an important consideration and that 8 string pickups are not so available as the 6,10 & 12 string types, but I was hoping that I might have overlooked a source of supply.
I built an 8 string about two years ago and used a Bill Lawrence pickup and it worked like a champ, but I wasn't thinking Stringmaster when I built that one. Considering that I'm old (and in the way), have been "outsourced", "downsized" and have my last child in collage, I don't have the bucks to do it up right. So it seems to me that I should just drop the Stringmaster concept and go for a more modern psg type pickup and get on with life.
Again, many thanks to all of you for taking time to help me out.
Clyde

[This message was edited by Clyde Willis on 16 June 2003 at 10:38 AM.]

Jackie Anderson

Scarborough, ME
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2003 10:51 am    

I know how you feel -- I have a D-8 project that I would love to try a couple of Jason & Rick's Ricky horseshoes on, but for having kids in college (not to mention being old and/or in the way). The solution? You should ask Jerry Wallace about making you a couple of pickups. You won't be emulating the Stringmaster sound -- you wouldn't be, anyway, if you weren't using the same wood (now aged for upwards of 30 years) and metals that Leo used -- but you'd get a heck of a good STEEL sound, for a lot less money.

[This message was edited by Jack Anderson on 16 June 2003 at 11:58 AM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2003 12:21 pm    

http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com/pickup.htm

I totally forgot about Jerry---he does make an 8 string. But even at a nice price, 4X adds up.