| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Heads up for PayPal users
Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 8:01 am    

I've been getting emails from guys wanting to buy My Blonde Pro 1...well it is not for Sale! and now on a sour note:I'm sorry if this is not the proper place for this but I wanted everyone to see this.I'm sure many of you who use payPal get bogus email from paypal saying to up-date your personal info??? Well most of these are Scams from somebody trying to get your Bank or credit info.... NEVER open anything that says its from PayPal UNLESS the email address' you in person....For Instance " Hello Jory Simmons". Hope this helps some of you not to get scammed! Jory

[This message was edited by Jory Simmons on 11 April 2006 at 09:02 AM.]

[This message was edited by Jory Simmons on 11 April 2006 at 09:03 AM.]

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 9:31 am    

Jory. a good heads up. I have received many of those alerts from paypal.

also, be aware that credit card scams work the same way.
I have received an equal number of alerts from my credit card compnay. upon checking with the compnay Ive learned they were indeed scams.

it is becoming hard to believe anything these days.
paypal, Chase bank, Santa, Easter Bunny, Bush.
the list is endless.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 9:58 am    

Anytime you get a request that appears to be from PayPal and you suspect it MAY be legit, rather than clicking the link in the message, log into your PayPal account and update your personal info or whatever is asked. Most of those requests send you to a site that is NOT a PayPal site at all. Hover your mouse over the link and look CLOSELY. Most of them do not go to paypal.com, but to a 'spoofed' URL that may include 'paypal' in the text but does NOT take you to PayPal.

Caveat Emptor

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 10:56 am    

I usually get a couple of these a day. I forward them to spoof@paypal.com. If they are legitimate, Paypal will send you a reply telling you so.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 11:07 am    

Just to add a note here. This is a technique called Phishing. It is common across the board from Banks to Paypal. Watch out for them from anywhere.

M.
Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 11:50 am    

Just a reminder to SGF members, if you receive what appears to be a blatant scam email pertaining to items you have posted for sale on the SGF, I would appreciate it if you would forward those emails to me as attachments (not plain old forwarding). If you are using hotmail via your browser it will not allow forwarding as an attachment, but it does provide options that let you reveal the full incoming headers. Once you can see the headers of a scam email, forward it to me. The same goes for Yahoo! browser-based users; set your options to display the complete headers, then forward them to me.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to helping me keep scammers off the SGF.

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF
Hunting down Slimeball Game
Reporting member of SpamCop

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 12:19 pm    

These are also really common. I get them for banks I never heard of. Paypal ones come daily, Ebay ones almost as often.
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 12:33 pm    

thats why i dont use pay pal or e bay
mabe i can keep out of harms way
but thanks for the heads up
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 1:14 pm    

Even if you don't use e-bay you are still subject to getting the phishing messages. They don't include your name, which is another clue that it's a phishing message.

I get them for banks I dont and never have dealt with, too.
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 2:19 pm    

How about the newest ones. In really bad english

"I have paid for your (non exsistant)item when are you going to send it to me? I will report you to non payment blah blah" or

"I would like to buy your (non exsistant)item please tell me where you want me to send the money blah blah"

Any legitimate communications with either Ebay or PayPal will be in you account summary on their respective sites. And, by the way, I don't have a Chase card so I can't be compromised? And I don't want to look for you an 8 room flat to stay in while you are in my country???

Still, I bet a lot of folks continue to fall for these scams. If not they would quit comming.

------------------
Chuck
Country Fever Band

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 8:50 pm    

Those spoofs hav nothing to do with either eBay or Paypal - even non-member get them sometimes. It's not a reason NOT to use them.

I get them from "Chase"...and I've never banked with them. But it wouldn't keep me away, because it has nothing to do with Chase.

FWIW when you DO get those eBay or Paypal ones, do as suggested and forward them to spoof@ebay.com (or paypal.com - same company). they hav a department of people that works with authorities chasing down the spoofers, and they can't stop 'em if they don't know about them.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2006 2:25 am    

It's never a bad idea to keep this topic fresh and hot.

I especially love the emails I get that start with..

"Thank you for your purchase. Please log onto our site to check the status of your order "

Another piece of free advice, change the passwords on your financial accounts often.