| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Prewar Square neck Dobro f/s
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2005 9:08 pm    

Mid-30's Dobro brand Model 45 square neck reso guitar in good to fair condition,
w/older 'gator covered soft case.
Nicely aged 2 way matched spruce top,ivoroid bound and bookmatched mahogany back and solid mahogany sides,slotted headstock,bound square mahogany neck(straight,no bow)featuring solid ebony fretboard w/flush frets,9 hole 3 ply maple soundwell.
Original Dobro decal missing,with newer replaced tuners and new tailpiece.
Showing normal playing and environmental wear to original chrome plated screens and coverplate,but no brassing per-se. A pickup appears to have been installed at some point resulting in several small extra screw holes in the edge of the coverplate,but all
corresponding holes in spruce top have been plugged.
This instrument appears to have been played
a good deal and then left idle for a time, (which was probably due to some minor seam separation/binding issues that developed on the back). This area is on the bass side of the upper bout starting 2" to the left the neck/body joint and going approx 4",also one 3" crack on treble side near the tailblock area which has been repaired by AJ Nelson,as well as the aforementioned seam separation
and binding issues. Repairs also made to back veneer near bottom,w/light lacquer overspray.
Fresh resonator setup w/new maple bridge inserts,new bone nut. Resonator is original 8 lug stamped cone w/small 8 leg spider bridge.
Guitar's finish shows normal+ playing wear...it looks its age
Cosmetically,this isnt a mint,near mint or even very,very good condition instrument which is why,with the repairs that have been made,I'll take $1250.00 in U.S.funds which does include shipping+insurance anywhere in the lower 48.
The Model 45 Dobro is rare in a square neck
and regarless of its overall cosmetic condition this is now one structurally solid,
fine sounding old Dobro.
For referrence,one of these in very good and up condition would sell for $2500.00 or more.
Im offering 24 hr approval though,due to the cosmetic condition,asking only that return shipping+insurance be paid if not satisfied.
If youve ever wanted an old square neck Dobro but the prices scared you off,this is your chance. First $$ gets it. Forum fee to be paid upon finalization of transaction.
Thanks for your time.
sincerely,
MC
Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2005 6:58 am    

Mike, I tried an Email to you this AM. It got bounced back for some reason, not sure. I will have to try again after work, I guess. Sorry about my newbieness on this web stuff. ~JZ~
Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2005 9:13 pm    

I bought an old Dobro from Mike ten years ago. It's by far the best deal I ever made even though it seemed like alot at the time. He knows a good sounding guitar.
BB
Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 3:50 am    

Thanks Bruce. However, after several Emails sent, and 1 try thru this forum's format--where it told me no Mike Cass was identified, I am puzzled to say the least. Maybe I left something out, but I have gotten no response at this point.
Gotta head out early today, and my Net-Zen son is in Arizona. Mike, I will check later on in the day. Best to you.

[This message was edited by Jon Zimmerman on 31 December 2005 at 04:00 AM.]

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 6:57 am    

Jon,
sorry youre having trouble. I sent you an email on friday thru your forum link. Also recieved one of yours in the form of spam..?
I checked my forum link,it works.
Try removing the add that came with your email.
MC

[This message was edited by Mike Cass on 02 January 2006 at 07:00 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 7:15 am    

If Mike says a dobro is a happening horn, take it to the bank. Or rather, go to the bank and get the cash. Mike is also asking a very reasonable price for this guitar. Pre-war squarenecks are quite rare.

As a recommendation, I've got three pre-war Dobros that I got from Mike and they're cherished by me.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 8:55 am    

three?? how did that happen? I usually allow just two to a customer
sale pending, more to come.
MC
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 12:51 pm    

Quote:
three?? how did that happen? I usually allow just two to a customer

On one deal I used a phony name and wore a mask, MC.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 1:13 pm    

Herb:
Does that mask thing mean you are the loan arranger ? If so call me please..lol
Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2006 3:33 pm    

Mike;
Every message I Emailed came back with: "Mailer-Daemon@AOL.com " then: "Returned mail-user unknown--" with some kind of 'fatal error' explanation I am not familiar with. Some Emails do this to me, some don't. My son is the netspace rabbit --I just plod along mostly, when the kid's not around, I flounder. Sorry I missed- out. Best to you Anyhoo..JON BTW--No Emails came my way from you.
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 3 Jan 2006 9:44 am    

Jon, thats just plain "hinky", but I used your forum link to reply.
HS, you can buy as many as you want, but you shouldve gotten this one.......
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2006 12:00 pm    

Pending sale terminated,and Im withdrawing the old dobro from Buy & Sell.
I shouldve known better. The fellow who recieved it never even tuned it up!!! unbelievable! I wouldve thought that the sound would be somewhat important in making a decision whether or not to buy a certain musical instrument,but what do I know?
And folks, it dont really look all that bad!
Claiming issues with the cosmetic condition,
the buyer did however admit that it might've behooved him to pay a little more attention to my(lengthy)first post up above.........
well,thats just real nice.
This is the first(and last)time I ever send a guitar w/o getting the $$ up front, but as I posted,I was willing to forego that stipulation this once as I never want anyone to get stuck with a piece from me that they dont want,hence my great pains in accurately describing guitars' conditions when offering them for sale on here, and usually again over the phone.
I wont risk shipping this guitar again as Im not willing to add another dreary post to the forum thread on "Shipping Woes" should the carrier do its usual thing.....so,
my dobro? I think I'll keep her
Damm shame for y'all because this would've made a nice old hounddog for someone who didnt want to lay out muy denero for something that might or might not sound good once properly set up. This dobro however does not suffer from lack of tone or volume, but it does have more than a few dings. So be it.

b0b,lets wrap 'er up, thanks.

[This message was edited by Mike Cass on 07 January 2006 at 05:06 PM.]

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2006 7:00 pm    

Ouch! Mike. I just got a new Email setup, with my son's help, but now it's a little late. I was looking for a Tut-Taylor style 'player' not a Runway Model. Sooo, if you change your mind, I could be ready to go again at the end of this month. Keep me in mind and think it over anyhoo.. and Thanks! JON.