| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  74 Emmons D12
Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2005 9:26 am    

I'm selling my Birds Eye Maple, Emmons D12 after a recent purchase of a Black 68 Emmons D10. I bought it about 2 years ago from Bobby Seymore. He had done a complete refinish/rebuild on it before I bought it. Excellent condition with only a couple of small bar dings. It has never left the house. Includes a new case, the same one I got from Steel Guitar of Nashville. As soon as my wife shows me how to post pictures, I'll put them on. I'm asking $3,000. I also have an interesting story about how I came by the black 68, if anyones interested.
Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2005 12:05 pm    

Patrick,
Tell us the story about your new steel.
Rich Jackson

Cleveland, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2005 12:30 pm    

Patrick, like Gary said, tell us the story. I'm interested! Rich Guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2005 8:01 am    

From the top. Soon after I bought this D12 from Bobby, I picked up 2 instructional videos. Bruce Bouton and JD Maness. Incidently, both play "black Emmons P/P D10's", so OF COURSE I new I must eventually have one. I looked on the web all the time and there were some to be had, but the price was not what my wife had in mind.

It's been a year and a half now since the Black P/P Emmons fever started. Several weeks ago my daughter Ashley and I were in the pet store in the mall in Casper Wyoming looking at dogs and talking about wanting to get a dobro for my son, her younger brother Patrick, and were over heard by a man who asked if I played the dobro. I said no, but that I've been hacking on a steel to which he blurted out "I've got a steel". Now this is the first person I've met that either has or plays a steel. He explained that he had inherited it 12 years ago when his father passed away. I asked if he played it and he said "no, never had it out of the box." I asked "what kind." He said "Emmons." Trying to remain calm, I told him he should learn to play it and that I would come back down when he drug it out, put some new strings on it and tune it up. A week or so later he called to say he had got it out and confirmed it was a Emmons and that it was black. From the ser# I found out it was a '68 model. 30 minutes later I had made the 130 mile trip from Gillette to Casper. I re-strung it, tuned it and told him if he was just gonna throw it back in the closet, there was a "remote" chance I "might" be interested in buying it, and left. Man that was a long ride home without that guitar.

About a week later he called and said he would like to sell it. After some brief haggelling, we settled on a price of $1,300.00. For which I got the guitar, original case, Emmons volume pedal, bar, Goodrich super sustain and a little Boss Tone atatchment.

It does show some wear and is a little loose but it plays great, stays in tune and the tone is killer. I couldn't be happer with it. And that is why I'm selling the D12.

My sife is getting the pictures ready, so I will post them shortly.

Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2005 8:29 am    

I'm having trouble with posting the pictures so if anyone is interested, I'll email them to you.
Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2005 2:12 pm    

Quote:
30 minutes later I had made the 130 mile trip from Gillette to Casper.

That would be driving 260 MPH.

Did you take your Formula One car?

------------------

Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2005 6:16 pm    

Well I may have stretched that one a little, but it seemed like only 30 minutes

------------------
T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2005 7:03 pm    

Here ya go Patrick. What a beaut!

TC
Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 10:39 am    

Just a little more info. Guitar has the original pick-ups, 8 & 4 with the standard Emmons set-up. Will throw in a "like new" Goodrich volume pedal.
Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2005 5:01 am    

If anyone would like more pictures or information, please e-mail me at work, it's where I seem to spend all my time these days. Address: playher@bucyrus.com
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2005 9:11 pm    

Patrick did you wear a Mask When You Robbed That Poor Sod Buster? Just Kiddin Great Deal.Steelin in San antonio.
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 6:09 am    

I ,by no means, mean to sound rude but this guitar has been up for sale sveral times out here on the forum. Is their anything wrong with it? tuning problems? Is it just the twelve string factor? It is one of the most beautiful guitars i have ever seen. Just curious. hope I have not offened you Patrick

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 7:14 am    

There is nothing wrong with your steel. I have a Black Mica D-12. I would rather have yours anyday!!!! I love the look and sound of Lacquer instruments. I spent quite a bit less than $3000 on mine because it is not a D-10. Most guys don't want a D-12. It is just that simple. I still am woodshedding mine, but am playing my D-10 out. I will probably feel more comfortable in about 6 months. I believe if you adjust the price it will move. I have about $3100 (probably more I can't remember) into mine AFTER Mike Cass worked on it. ***NOW-to those of you considering the switch from D-10 to D-12. There is a lot of amazing things you can do with the extensions on these necks. It just takes a year or more of commitment to the instrument. I do not practice on my
D-10 anymore- only the D-12.

[This message was edited by Buck Dilly on 10 August 2005 at 10:05 AM.]

[This message was edited by Buck Dilly on 11 August 2005 at 09:06 AM.]

Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 9:58 am    

Hi guys, no offense taken. I asked these same questions when I bought it. How come the 12's are less than the 10's? Whats the advantage/disadvantage of 10 vs 12? I've decided to sell ONLY because I got a great deal on the D10 and nothing more. Having just started playing steel less than 2 years ago, it bugs my wife that there is 5K worth of guitars in the living room.

Like I said, this guitar got the whole treatment by Bobbie, is tight and right and sounds great. I'm new to the sport, but from what I can tell, there is only advantage by having the 2 extra strings. You have greater range and options. If it takes time to learn the other two, who cares, you don't have to use them.

Tone. This 12 has alot "warmer" sound than my 10. I think it is coming from the overtones of the "fat" 11 & 12 stings. It gives you a nice place to support your wrist too.

Drawbacks. If you've been playing the 10, then the other two strings may throw you off a little on your picking as far as individual strings within the group. But after some time thats not an issue. I am by no means proficient on the steel, but I alternate back and forth between the 10 and 12 with no problems at all.

If you enjoy full, warm, BIG sounds on your steel, this girl does it. Her name is Sylia and everyone likes it when the "Fat girl sings"

Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 10:05 am    

Randy, Truthfully, I did feel alittle like Butch Cassidy as I left with that guitar. But once I plugged it in that all went away.

Another one of my typo's. I named this guitar "Sylvia".
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 1:28 pm    

Thanks Pat I like 12's but I started on a uni so I am used to the feel of 12 under my hands. in fact i dont think I have ever owned a 10 string bar and I play a D-10. Thanks for the info guys.

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Buck Dilly

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2005 8:04 am    

It is all about demand. Fewer player want to make the leap to Universal or extended tunings. I am getting more and more dependent upon the downward extensions on the E9 and the Upper extensions on the C6.
Hey guys, take the leap- this is a gorgeous Push Pull for a good price.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2005 12:23 pm    

Just want to add my enthusiastic support to the cause of D-12 steels. Patrick, this guitar is gorgeous! I'd be tempted, but am very happy with my Mullen D-12; and I'm a knee lever-o-phile, it would cost me another $1500 to add the extra pedal and 5 KL's I have on mine! And I am also push-pull-phobic, don't think I could hack the mechanics of a p-p Emmons.

My descent into 12-string madness is all the fault of Pete Grant's black mica Emmons D-12 p-p, circa 1976. That sound with big fat low end was the end of me!

It's not very hard to go from an E9 10 to an E9 12, like others say, it's easy to just avoid the low strings until you build up some confidence using them. It took me some time, but now I've got big fat low end grips wired, and they're my absolute favorites.

I hope Sylvia finds a good loving home, soon, Patrick, she sure deserves it! Ironically, my friend Silvio was sort of thinking about this guitar, frankly just based on looks; now that I know her name, I'll tell him that Silvio needs Sylvia. Ha.

------------------
E9 lessons
Mullen D-12/Webb amp/Profex II

Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2005 1:34 pm    

I hear you guys! I'm not in a rush to move it, and I know I will miss it should it sell. Thats why I havn't been pushing it that hard.

I agree with you that it's one of, if not the MOST beautiful pieces of mechanical majic I've ever seen. I often enjoy just wipping it down and looking at it.

I also agree that if people would try it more often than not they would like the 12 strings. As a beginner, 10 strings affords me all the challenges I need.
Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2005 4:26 pm    

I will be out of town for the weekend (Aug.12,13,& 14). I respond to your replies when I return. Thanks, Pat
Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2005 6:00 pm    

GORGEOUS guitar. Wife says no unless I get rid of one of the 2 D12 PP's I already have.
Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2005 6:14 am    

I have a bunch more pix ready to send if anyone would like. I have also lowered the price to 2750.00. If that doesn't sound good, let me know and I can raise it 3250.00. It's whatever you guys want. Haha.
Patrick Layher

Buffalo WY, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2005 1:05 pm    

Guitar has been sold. Donation to be sent shortly
Buck Dilly

Post  Posted 18 Aug 2005 2:00 pm    

I congratulate the buyer.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2005 2:06 pm    

Thanks!