| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Copy Or Replica Of Fender Volume/Tone Pedal
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 2:08 pm    

Hey guys, I can't fork out the dough needed for an original Fender or Bigsby Volume/Tone pedal, but I would like to experiment with the sounds they produce.

Does anyone know of any new V/T pedals being made today? Or in the past few years? It seems like DeArmond made some different pedals that did specific things, but I dont remember if one of them was a V/T or not.

I am playing in a Hank Williams tribute show and many of the songs use this effect. It sure would be nice if I could find something that gave me the sounds I need.

Has anyone tried to build one?

Thanks, God Bless,
Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 3:48 pm    

As far as I know, nobody is making a combination volume/tone pedal currently.
You should be able to duplicate that type of wah effect using the tone control on your Fender, but I'm sure it will take a bit of practice.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 4:08 pm    

If you have a wah pedal, you can easily do a mod to transform it into a tone pedal. If you're interested, I'd be glad to tell you how to do it.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 12:51 am    

I suggested thet Keith Hilton do an update of this pedal with modern cicuitry but he didn't seem to think the idea had merits. I still do, and you seem to also. Well that's two anyway.
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 12:53 am    

I do use the tone pot on my Stringmaster to get that effect with western swing, but the way the Hank stuff is executed, it has to be done with the pedal. I suppose that an extra "Tone Pedal" would work. I don't want to modify my wah pedal, but I do have a Dunlop Hi-gain volume pedal that needs a pot that I can't find anywhere. I suppose I could rig that to work. I just hate the thought of forking over $300.00 smackers for a pedal.

Thanks, Michael T.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 4:28 am    

Michael I can relate. I'd like to try a volume/tone pedal, but $300 is a lot of money to me. But if someone was making repro V/T pedals they'd probably be at least $250, eh?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 6:16 am    

Actually, you'd be able to do the mod easily with any pedal, including the Dunlop High Gain, you'd just have to be willing to disconnect the existing circuitry. The Clarostat pots for that pedal are readily available online.
Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 4:25 pm    

Doesn't Ernie Ball make a stereo pedal that has a dohickey sticking out the side for pan? If that's how it works, just rewire it.
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2003 11:32 pm    

Here are some photos of the potentiometer in my Dunlop Hi-Gain Volume pedal. This is the only one I have seen like this. If you know where to get one, I need a new one. It is not a Clarostat.
Here are some of the numbers:
NL6187-116A
Mexico 9444 SL
Dunlop MFG CH00245
CCW
Terminals are marked:
CCW, CW and VD or VO
BI or BL appears to be the manufacturer.

With the PC board construction, I am not sure that it is possible to convert this into a tone pedal, but let me know what you think.

Thanks, Michael T.