| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Possible fraud
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 5:03 pm    

Someone named Mark Lee is sending out template
response forms for items for sale on the forum stateing that he will send someone over to pickup the item after he has issued a cashier's check. Please be aware.
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 5:14 pm    

I posted on no peddlers as I got one. I need the scambuster info again.

Ron
Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 5:27 pm    

i got 1 same person i sent mine to wizardodelasteel@hotmail.com he needs for you to forward all of the email message to him in order for him to be able to do something about it
Robert L. Clark

Blountstown, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 5:49 pm    

Thanks guys, I just got two emails from him tonight. What makes you think he's not legitimate ??
Bill Myers

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 5:49 pm    

I got a note from Mark Lee too...It's the same scam about wanting to send to much money and have someone come and pick it up.
Richard Gonzales

Davidson, NC USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 6:02 pm    

What is the problem? He wants to buy my guitar. I told him to send the cashiers check and I will deposit it and no one will pick up the guitar until check clears and I have cash in hand. What's wrong with that?
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 6:32 pm    

I was selling a keyboard last week on an on-line classified, and I got three different offers from three differnt people with this same deal: their "client" wants it, they'll send someone to pick it up, they'll send me a cashiers check for more than the amount of the item and I forward the balance on to someone else. I have seen these things before in the past, but it seems like there's a proliferation of them lately. I'm not sure what the exact scam is, but it smells funny. Maybe this a money laundering thing?
Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 6:53 pm    

It appears that some of the people responding to this thread are unaware of Nigerian 419 scams. This is an overpayment-with-refund kited check scam. The scammer is counting on you to deposit the fraudulant check at your bank, where they will probably tell you that it is a good as cash in hand. You will send the refund to Nigeria via Western Union. Two or three weeks later the check or money order will bounce and you will be out the total amount plus penalty charges. You may even be charged with Fraud yourself.

If you all need more convincing, Google for the words - +419+overpayment+check+scam

I am already onto Mark Lee, who lives in Nigeria, but would be glad to have a look at any new incoming flak, bearing this style of wording. Please Forward As Attachment the original scam email to wizardodelasteel @ hotmail.com (remove the spaces around the @ sign). Search the Forums for my many posting describing how to forward as an attachment, or how to paste the headers into an email to me.

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF
Hunting down Slimeball Game
Reporting member of SpamCop

[This message was edited by Bobby D. Hunter on 15 June 2005 at 07:55 PM.]

Calvin Brandenburg

Springfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 6:57 pm    

I personlly don't know if he's doing a fraud or not.. I will post what he said to just today. Here it is:

Hello,
I am looking to purchase the(item)and will make payment with a Cashiers Check.Get back to me with your asking price for the(item)along with your Full Names and Address and Telephone number where the payment will be made out to.

Full Names:Address:
Contact Phone number :The payment will be addressed to the information you provide as soon as possible.Regarding the Pickup,i have a Private Shipper who handles my shipping and delivery of items and he will come over to your location for the pickup of the(item ) when you might have gotten the payment. Have a blessed day as i wait to read from you soon.
Ron Frederiksen

Van Buren, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 7:22 pm    

Be sure the CASHIERS CHECK OR MONEY ORDER is good before you cash them. If they are not, your bank will come back and make you make them good... I have two $1000.00 Money orders now that are phony as a Clinton
$3.00 bill. The dummy that sent them to me wanted me to cash both of them for a
$300.00 guitar and then western union him the difference. The IDIOT was sure upset when I told him I sent the money to the address in New Yory City, that was on the Money Order. Of coarse there was no such address in N.Y. as was on the M.O.I took them to my bank and they know me so with no questions they handed me $2000.00, then I showed her they were no good and they made notes for all the tellers to look for the bad M.O. and checks. Ron

"steelin is music to my ear"
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 7:22 pm    

Calvin, I don't have to PERSONALLY know it to know it. This is a Nigerian scam. They did a T.V. special on it last week and it works as the above stated! Be forwarned or you will be taken.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 15 June 2005 at 08:23 PM.]

Bert Berthold

Peralta, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 7:30 pm    

Logic says the cashiers check is counterfeit. Later on when this is determined you will have to pay back the money,no one will stop by to pick up the item and the scoundrel has the "extra " real money you sent him in his pocket Beware I don't know if this is the scam but it is one of them Bert
George King

Woodlawn,Illinois
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 7:46 pm    

I just had what I think was a scam email from a guy in canada named Pastor Paul Smith.What he had to say just didn't make sense and was not in detail to what I was selling.Thanks George
Sandy Carter

Edmonds, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2005 7:54 pm    

Hello All, I posted an ad today and got a similar scam note from a "Pastor Paul" wanting to by my item "for his church". There are many variations on this old net scam, and they use all the forums and net classifieds out there to troll. They always offer full price, there is usually an intermediary shipping component, and a bogus cashier's check from the "buyer" is usually tendered if the "sale" is completed. Take care and beware! Sandy Carter
Richard Gonzales

Davidson, NC USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2005 1:44 am    

I also have a pastor Paul Smith who wants to buy my guitar. Maybe I will have an auction between the two guys and have a little fun myself.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2005 6:24 am    

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and has duck feathers, it's probably a duck...(From my Business Law Professor, Dr. Swanz).

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 16 June 2005 at 07:25 AM.]

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2005 6:39 am    

Don't be fooled guys...
It's plainly obvious it's a scam when the email contains things like "I would like to buy your "item"". It's a sure giveaway that this has been emailed to many people.

have a look at www.419eater.com for a laugh.
These English guys bait these scammers and have a field day messing with them. It's hilarious.

On a serious note, I sold a Steel on Craigslist, and got 4-5 scam emails. They'ry all the same.
But hey, you cant blame them, you know what they say, "There's a sucker born every day, and two to take him." Don't be the sucker. If you can play a pedal steel, you're too smart to fall for this old scam.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2005 6:43 am    

Its mind boggling to think that some folks would still believe this is a legitimate deal after being told before hand that its a old tired used up scam.

Rick
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2005 6:46 am    

Who falls for that junk anyway? With all the heads up about it lately, how can anyone even pay any attention to it. Just delete it and be done. Simple. See my post under events and announcements and just look at the counterfeit postal m.o.'s Not rocket science
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2005 6:50 am    

Any time you run across something like this , ask them to send you POSTAL MONEY ORDERS ..... This way , the whole transaction now involves the Federal Government , and we all know how much of our tax dollars the government will expend if they think they've been duped !!..... If they send fraudulant Postal Money orders, they're in REAL hot water !!......For that matter, any time you do ANY money transactions, ask the buyer to send you Postal Money Orders.....First of all they are very inexpensive compared to Certified Bank check's, and they don't get forged like certified bank check's do .... The thieves are not stupid enough to forge government property ....Jim
Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2005 4:15 pm    

James Quackenbush expounded:
quote:

For that matter, any time you do ANY money transactions, ask the buyer to send you Postal Money Orders.....First of all they are very inexpensive compared to Certified Bank check's, and they don't get forged like certified bank check's do .... The thieves are not stupid enough to forge government property

I hate to be the one to tell you, but 419 scammers are indeed counterfitting US and Canadian Postal Money Orders. The counterfitting job is horrible and can be spotted fairly easily, but that may change. At least when you take a Postal Money Order to the Post Office they will tell you on the spot if it is real or forged. If it's forged you should have the envelope it came in and ask if they want to notify the US Postal AG.
If anybody can trace a letter, the Post Office can.

All of the email contacts (offers to buy) being described in this thread are Nigerian Counterfitters and scammers. This is but a sideshow of the infamous 419 scams, and all originate in Lagos, Nigeria, or Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Once again I want to invite all SGF members to send me suspected scam emails, but only if you are able to Forward As Attachment, or know how to display and send me the source Headers. Message bodies are of no value to me in my work here, only the normally hidden source details. See my extensive thread about obtaining and sending emails to me with the headers intact, here: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum13/HTML/001207.html

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF
Hunting down Slimeball Game
Reporting member of SpamCop