| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Possible Fraud!!!!!!!
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 11:23 am    

I hope I have this under the right spot. If not I guess they will put it there. Jerry has a guitar on the forum for sell. We got an email from a PETER ANDERSON. If anyone gets an email from him wanting to buy something please watch out. Here is the email I got from him after we had sent him pictures of the guitar.
" Hello"
Thanks for your mail, I am interested in purchasing it. Concerning the shipment, my shipper will come and pick it up from your location as soon as we seal this transaction. A client of mine is owing me some funds ($7000) I will instruct him to issue the postal money order in your name and you will deduct the cost of the (GUITAR) {$2895} and send the leftover by western union transfer for immediate shipping arrangment of your goods as well as many other goods in several other location. If this is okay with you do get back to me immediately with your information as listed below for me to instruct my client to issue the postal money order in your name. Hope to hear from you soonest.
NAME:
ADDRESS:NOT P.O.BOX
CITY
STATE:
ZIP CODE:
TEL NUMBER:
Best regards
peter
NB:I WILL COMPENSATE YOU WITH 20DOLLOARS TO GET THE ADVERT REMOVED FROM THE INTERNET AND CONSIDER IT SOLD TO ME.

I HAVE BEEN HEARING ABOUT THIS KIND OF THING FROM SOME OF MY FISHING BUDDIES. THAT IS WHY I THINK IT IS A FRAUD. Donna

[This message was edited by Jerry Lee Newberry on 22 April 2005 at 12:25 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jerry Lee Newberry on 22 April 2005 at 12:28 PM.]

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 11:44 am    

Donna, you may have seen this already, if not there's some pertinent info here:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum13/HTML/001207.html
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 11:52 am    

This is definately a SCAM proposal, anytime you see the word 'Advert" or someone claiming that someone else owes them money simply ignore or report it to someone, these type of scams have hit the Forum before.
Perhaps advise your Moderator and they will take the appropriate action necessary.

Bronco Billy
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 11:52 am    

Hey Donna...this is the same person who wanted to buy Corky Owens Emmons p/p I posted for him. After recieving the same stupid email offering to send the money order, I requested info on who he is as it is getting real easy to spot these crooks...haven't heard from him since...
Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 1:32 pm    

I'm convinced.......I also got an e-mail from the SCAMMY.This guy is truly a ???? ???.Lucky for me,I had already sold what I had for sale,I can't beleive this guy.
Stephan Franck

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 1:42 pm    

Last I heard, the king of Lyberia wanted to buy a zum steel. He'll double your asking price too. Only problem is he only carries $1,000,000 bills ('cause he's in exile, see), and he asks that you send the change first...

Apparently, PSG's huge among exiled sub-saharan dictators. And by the way, if you care to put your life savings into a suitcase and send it to them, I hear the king knows a sorcered who can double it for you. And I'm not talking risky stock market stuff-- I mean good ol' magic that works everytime-- Must be true, heard it on Coast To Coast.

------------------
www.mojaveroad.net

[This message was edited by Stephan Franck on 22 April 2005 at 02:43 PM.]

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 1:43 pm    

I noticed Dan Cormier got the same email on his Pedalmaster thread in the instruments for sale forum.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

John Phillips

Camden, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 2:34 pm    

I got A very similar E-mail this morning on my BMI S-10.Put it in file 13 where it belongs.Don`t even think about responding to these scams.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 6:41 pm    

This forum is being watched .,.I get these all the time... I just DELETE them !! bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 22 April 2005 at 07:42 PM.]

Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 7:20 pm    

i don't know if it is one person or more than one but this has been going on sence last august that i know of. it isn't only insturments but amps or anything of value. he sends you a phoney check you send him a good one for the remainder of the amount he gets the good money and your sitting there holding the bag for the full amount. i have contacted yahoo and many others about this jerk or jerks and no one is doing anything about it that i can see. the wise thing to do is make a person use their real e mail instead of a yahoo.com address and make them use a postal money order and if they are going to have it picked up try to get the name of the company that is going to pick it up. i have seen many times people putting something up on the forum about this and i also have posted it a couple times when i was selling things everyone should know about it by now. just my $.05 worth. thanks doc

------------------
zum SD10 peavy vegas 400 peavy session 400 steelseats they are great at sales@steelseats.com
if its not a zum steel it isn't real

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 7:34 pm    

Watch it guys,they are getting smooth,just sold the pro1 sho-bud,got email saying i will take all your stuff you got for sale,tell me where to send money order. and will contact you soon. i know it wasn't the real thing. farris
Robert Salomone

Carefree, Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 7:40 pm    

I've received several of these scam emails since listing stuff for sale.
When they write, I tell them the price is triple what I listed it for and they stupidly agree.
Once you tell them to send payment by Western Union and you don't allow any local pickup they disappear,
These are the same scammers running the 419 scams/
Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 9:44 pm    

Please read this thread, here - http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum13/HTML/001207.html - if you receive any scam emails about goods for sale on any of the SGF Forums, then forward the original email to me. I will trace the bastard and ban his ass from the forum.

Strong language for a strong problem involving Nigerians, and their direct neighbors, who have nothing better to do than run scams on our members, and others trying to make an honest living. Financial fraud appears to be the only occupation in Nigeria. Even the highest officials are involved. It is the most corrupt nation on the face of the earth and a disgrace to all of the rest of humanity.

All of these scams come from Africa, with 99% coming from Lagos, Nigeria. With your help we can ban them all from returning ever again, but you must learn how to FORWARD original scam emails, or how to extract and send me their headers.

They may contact you via a hotmail or yahoo address, and claim to be in the UK, or "out of the Country," but they are browsing the Forums from Nigeria, via satellite ISPs (New Skies Satellite Service), which we are blocking, one at a time. Most are scamming you from Internet Cafes.

Nigerians, I'd advise you to go elsewhere to run your scams. I am watching for you. I will hunt you down, one at a time.

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF
Hunting down Slimeball Game
Reporting member of SpamCop
Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2005 6:46 am    

Talked to Wayne Brown and he got one from Mr. Peter Anderson about his JCH.

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
Desert Rose Lacquer D-10
PedalMaster Lacquer D-10 Sessions 400 Limited ,ProFex II
http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

Curtis Scarrow

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2005 11:20 am    

Got me too...
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2005 6:20 pm    

I guess those idiots never get tired.I wonder if any of those caracters actualy plays steel guitar.

Db

------------------

"Promat"
~when tone matters~
http://hometown.aol.com/damirzanne2/PROMAT.html

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 5:47 am    

No, but they certainly try to play steel GUITARISTS.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 7:10 am    

I wanted to say that I admire Bobby Hunter for not just telling us to file these emails away & ignore them. I get these all the time on my online business & have to ignore them because Yahoo & others won't even try to get rid of them. Bobby is working very hard to actually do something about this problem & needs all of us to help him by sending him those emails and headers. Thanks Bobby and keep up the good work. Before long, the word will get out to the Nigerians that the steel forum people won't put up with their scams & they will move on to easier targets. If every website would work at actually finding these people & blocking them they would go away completely. I vote we post a permanent warning about these scams at the top of every page in the "for sale" sections. There are always going to be new people who have never posted anything for sale that either fall for the scams or think they are a new thing.

Thanks again Bobby for making it your mission to get these people off your website.

Dana Stewart
T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 8:16 am    

I got the following message from Peter Anderson after my post was locked.

HELLO,
I'M INTERESTED IN BUYING YOUR GOODS SO LET ME KNOW IT PRESENT CONDITION
AND IT AVAILABILITY. ENDEAVOUR TO GET BACK TO ME WITH THE PICTURE AND
THE LAST PRICE OF THE GOODS PAYMENT WILL BE MADE BY POSTAL MONEY ORDER,
CASHIER CHECK
REGARDS,
PETER

Also, the post clearly stated that my push/pull was only available to forum members. The way to deal with this pest.... Hit the old "skeeter deleter"!
TC
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 9:52 am    

I got one from the same guy about my Sierra D-10. The Sierra ends on eBay today (Sunday) buy the way.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Sierra Session D-10

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 2:06 pm    

I believe we have blocked this guy now.
Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 7:28 pm    

Thank you b0b

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
Desert Rose Lacquer D-10
PedalMaster Lacquer D-10 Sessions 400 Limited ,ProFex II
http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2005 2:27 pm    

I just want to make sure you folks don't confuse him with Peter Andersson, a fine young steel player and decent guy from Sweden, as Ricky Davis and myself can attest.
Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 2:59 pm    

I got a similar proposal from a guy named Jankins Brown on an item I was selling. I forwarded his emails to Bobby. They're still out there.

-Don
Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 5:36 pm    

Shoot Don, I was gonna sell my Marlen to Jankins Brown.