| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1975 Gretsch Country Gentleman
thurlon hopper

Elizabethtown Pa. USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 9:10 am    

Have a nice 1975 Gretsch C.G. that i would like to trade for a D-10 Carter W/BCT if the
carter is in nice condition. Own a Dekley D-10, but it is really HEAVY and i don't like
the idea of taking it out of the basement.If
any one is interested in talking trade just
send an e-mail to me. Also have an S-10 Carter, 2002 model but still like to mess up
trying to p[lay C6TH. Would consider other brands if they are kight weight. Thanks TJH
thurlon hopper

Elizabethtown Pa. USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 12:21 pm    

Oops pardon the spelling, meant to say i would consider other brands if they are light weight. Also sell for $1800.00.
TJH
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 2:33 pm    

Just out of curiousity, is this the version of the country gent with real f holes?
thurlon hopper

Elizabethtown Pa. USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 3:20 am    

Yes Mike this C.G. has the real F-holes. Still have the original strap, case and the
ok card from Gretsch. In very good condition
and plays really good. TJH
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 8:19 pm    

Thurlon, I strongly suggest that you don't sell the guitar. This is the Baldwin version of the country gent that was re-designed by Duke Kramer and Chet Atkins after Baldwin bought the company. There are a number of people, including myself, who feel that this is one of the best guitars ever made under the name Gretsch, even though it was made by somebody else. Possibly THE best. It is certainly superior to the "real" country gents with the painted F holes.

When Fred Gretsch bought the company back form Baldwin, he threw out the new design and went back to building the guitars the old way. Thus there are only a limitied number of this particular model in existance, and as far as I know (and I ask the guys at Gretsch every year at the NAMM show) there are no plans to make any more.

The irony is that people want the "real" Country Gents, and so yours (ours) are not as valuable. But among people who know about these guitars, they are highly prized.

I consider myself very lucky to have one. At ont time I had both this one and a "real" one and there was no comparison. The Baldwin (like yours) was superior in every way. I sold the other one.
thurlon hopper

Elizabethtown Pa. USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2005 6:11 am    

Thank you Mike for the great info, had no idea that there was that much distinction beween the models. Guess i'd better hang onto this one as it is still in great condition. Glad i took such good care of it.
It really does sound and play just great. Also have a Fender Tele and an Epiphone
ELITE model, but the Gretsch is still the best axe i own. Thanks so much for your input. Best Regards. TJH