| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who made this scale/mode tape?
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2005 9:41 am    

I've got a cassette I got somewhere for C6th scales and modes. It says on the tape
1983 Pixenbar Music Co.
Hendersonville, Tn. There is a book that comes with it that I never had and would like to find. It seems to be a good learning tool but the book would make it complete. Anyone here know who made this tape? I don't recognise the voice.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2005 3:05 pm    

Jimmie Crawford
Part of a C6 seminar he put on from time to time.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2005 3:12 pm    

That was by Ken Albert & Jimmy Crawford - I bought it a few years ago (still on my "to-do" list ), probably from Tom Bradshaw.
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2005 3:41 pm    

I guess that could make getting the book a little tough! I'll make do with just the tape I guess.
Charles Turpin

Mexico, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 1:01 pm    

I think Mickey D is write. If it is written in Jimmey Crawfords style of tablutare. The book has a picture of Ken Albert sitting at his steel on about the 2nd or 3rd page of the book. That is one of the few books i have found on the C6th neck that explains all the Scales on it and not as much Chord scales in it. It has one song in the end of the book , Where Ken has typed how he used each individual type of scale in the song. The only thing i see the matter in the whole course is where in the solo he talks about He uses The different scales but he doesnt say if he changed to like F Blues scale on a certain number page. He says he used the Blues scale there but he didnt explain whether or not he went to the temporary Key scale of the type. But it is a very good course and a great reference for like a scale dictionary.It will sure make you think in a different way when you are single note playing

------------------
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 2:21 pm    

just curious
what's a 'Chord scale'?

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2005 8:28 pm    

Just curious. What happened to Ken Albert? I have that book somewhere. But I haven't seen it in maybe 20 years.......bb
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2005 9:45 am    

Yeah... I was wondering about that, too. Where is Ken these days?
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2005 10:20 am    

My last known address for Ken Albert was right here in the St. Louis area. Florissant, MO. I have the address but hesitate to post it. I will send him a post card and see if the address is still accurate and will find out if he still has any of his C6th books.

I have the book "A Manual Of Style" by Jimmie Crawford,Terry Bethel, John Hughey and Weldon Myrick. It has two 45 rpm records with it. There is a section on each of the players and in their tuning which may vary from a stock tuning. Lots of solos and exercises. Edited by the late Winnie Winston.
Scotty
John McGann

Boston, Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2005 12:59 pm    

Hi Larry- at Berklee, they use the term "chord scale" to contextualize what scale to use on what chord when

For example- a Dm7 as a 2 in the key of C would get a dorian mode/scale, but if it were a 3 in Bb it would get a phrygian mode/scale-otherwise you'd be getting non-diatonic notes (from outside the home key of Bb).

So an A7 has a bunch of different "chord scales" depending on context- is it A7b9 13 (4th mode of harmonic major) or A7 9 13 (plain old D scale) or a substitute for Eb7 going to Ab (lydian b7) or whatever.

Believe it or not, people (and/or their parents) pay good money for that stuff

Seriously, if you think and hear this way, that stuff comes in handy. I took a course in writing for horns with the great trumpet player Herb Pomeroy back in the '70's, and the first few weeks were dealing with (i.e. filling notebooks and being tested on) chord scales in all 12 keys in every situation imaginable (well, in a modern jazz context anyway)...a lot of work, but well worth it.

Quit snickering, I'm talking to Larry Bell!

The Crawford tape/book is excellent BTW.

------------------
http://www.johnmcgann.com
Info for musicians, transcribers, technique tips and fun stuff. Joaquin Murphey transcription book, Rhythm Tuneup DVD and more...

[This message was edited by John McGann on 20 December 2005 at 01:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by John McGann on 20 December 2005 at 01:05 PM.]

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2005 1:55 am    

Thanks guys, I found one! Merry Christmas to all.