| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lee Ann Womack's "Lonely too"
Niklas Widen

Uppsala, Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2003 7:29 am    

has anyone tabbed Paul Franklin's solo from this tune from Lee Ann Womack's "I hope you dance" album. It's a great steel solo, but there are some changes that I can't really figure out, sounds almost like a bar slant towards the end.

/Nicke Widén
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 5:28 pm    

Niklas, I've been trying to figure it out, I've got close to it. Try this for the last part. L- lowers a whole tone on the 2nd string. This is the G to A part. It's not note for note but it might help.
1)______________
2)________________12L~13L~12L__10L~10__10~10L
3)__15~~~~~~15____12b~13~~12b__10b~~~__~~~10b
4)_____________
5)___15~15a~15

Let me know if this makes sense or not
Tony
Niklas Widen

Uppsala, Sweden
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 8:30 am    

I've uploaded a mp3-clip of the solo.
http://user.tninet.se/~rmz810g/steel/lonelytoosolo.mp3

To me it sounds like he's lowering the third string with a slant for the ending, but I don't have my steel here right now, so I haven't tried anything...I also wonder how you'd do that "lowering" lick that starts 9 seconds into the clip. Why not tab the whole solo? Anyone wanting a challenge?

Nicke Widén
Tony Dingus

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 5:12 pm    

Nicke, try this and see if will help. I don't have all of Paul's changes. I think the string lowering at the 9 sec. is the 5th string from B to A. D lowers the 2nd string a whole tone, E lowers the 4th a half, X lowers the 5th a whole tone. R raises the 2nd a half tone.

3)___________________________10--------
4)___________________________10E~10~10E___
5)________5__5A~7~~5A~~10_________________
6)___5~5B____5B~7B~5B~~10__________________
7)_______________________________________
8)__5___________________________________

4)_12~~~~~11E~10E~~~~10E______10~~~
5)_12~12A~11A~10A~10~10X______10~10A

3)____________________10B___15~~~~~_____
4)_______________________________________
5)__10a~~8~~10~10a____10A___15~15A~15___
6)________________________________________
7)_________________________________________
8)__10~~~8E~10~~__________________________

2)__12D~10~~10R~~10~10D~10__10~~10D__
3)__12B~10B~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~__10B~~~~~

The 3rd string lower and slant you were talking about is the 2nd & 3rd string with the 2nd doing all the moving up and down I think. I hope this will help, Tony
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 7:39 pm    

Hey Tony,
I was about to post it, but you beat me. It looks great and the end is all in the 2nd string like you have it, with the whole tone lower and 1/2 tone raise. And it is a whole tone lower on string 5 in the string 4,5 run, with PF's pedal famous "pedal 4". .. Jeff
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 7:40 pm    

By the way, Ricky, Rebel, and myself are always looking for contributors to the tab web-site. Are you interested in doing some tab? .. Jeff
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 14 April 2003 at 08:42 PM.]

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 8:14 pm    

Paul is using his G# to B (Raise) with the A&B pedals depressed on the 1st part of the turn around. The same notes as Tony has written.Just gives it a little different twist.Just in case anyones interested.---------------bb

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 14 April 2003 at 09:24 PM.]

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 9:30 pm    

Bobby, thanks for that. Since that lick could easily be played the way Tony tabbed it, what were the clues that you heard that told you it was played with the G#->B raise? By the way, do you think the second string stuff at the end is what he's doing? PF could have put a whole tone lower on the 3rd string, and split tuned with pedal B!! The second string note seemed to sound a little different timbre-wise from the typical way that the 5th string would sound with the same run, and it would be unusual to end up on the note he did if it was the 5th string, with the A pedal released, but this is REALLY splitting hairs. On the other hand, it is a somewhat unusual position for such a lick, no? What do you think? .. Jeff

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 14 April 2003 at 10:40 PM.]

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 10:12 pm    

Jeff, I can't play the MP3.I learned the song 2 or 3 years ago.Maybe played it twice.There are a couple of little things that don't look quiet right.I seem to remember him using strings (4 lowered a 1/2),and 5 and 10 with the 4th pedal thing.No big deal.I feel sure he did not lower the 3rd.But I need to try and dig up the CD before I get any deeper into this.All in all this should be a great help for those who can't hear it in there head. -----bb

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 14 April 2003 at 11:52 PM.]

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 7:47 am    

I tore this place apart and still couldn't find the CD.My wife has it at work.I just sat down and played it from memory.Forget what I said about adding the 10th string with the 4th pedal.However, and this is just from memory I don't hear the 2nd string raise.When I first started learning it I tried to add it.It will work there.But I don't think Paul used it.It one of those licks that's not as complicated as it sounds.Like I said I need to hear it.Sorry for the confusion I may have caused.----------bb
Tony Dingus

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 8:03 am    

Thanks Jeff, I wouldn't mind trying to tab some things, keep in touch with me on the subject. Yeah Bobby, I figured he used that lever on the 6th string raise. The only PF change I have is the 1st & 2nd string. I'm glad Nicke posted this, I hadn't listened to the tape in a long time and there's some nice licks in that solo. Hey, it doesn't matter how each of us play the same licks in different positions. To me , thats part of learning any instrument.
Tony

[This message was edited by Tony Dingus on 15 April 2003 at 06:17 PM.]