| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobroism Pre-amp
Bob Bleifus

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 4:47 pm    

Hello, I am a fairly new member and have been reading the forum quite regularly but this is the first time I have posted. I am waiting patiently for a Deluxe SXL Lap Steel from The Smith Family Music Melobar Company. I was interested in the Dobroism Pre-Amp but the are out of stock, with Ted"s retirement I don't know if and when they will be availible. Can any one tell me if there is a way to duplicate that effect with any other product or effect settings.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 5:04 pm    

Hi Bob. The Goodrich Matchbro is as good as I've heard (I use one). It will never satisfy hardcore acoustic purists--I mean, there's simulation and there's the real thing--but it does an uncanny job. Think of a reso-guit w/ pickup thru an amp. Then if you really care (which I don't--I'm a pedal player and I still use pedals even with this box), think dobroistic in your playing style. It also comes with a plastic bar to kill sustain. I sometimes use it, sometimes not. If you bought one new you would be buying a Superbro, the latest version. I don't know how it differs from the older ones but someone else can help you with that. I've never heard any other effect or eq setting that comes close to the effectiveness of this unit (and consequentially, it ain't cheap). Most steel dealers sell this--I know Carter does--
http://www.steelguitar.com/

Hope this helps.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 04 February 2003 at 05:05 PM.]

Bob Bleifus

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 4:24 pm    

Jon, Thanks for the information. I went to Carter's and did a search of Goodrich Matchbro and did not come uo with any info.Can you supply me with a dealer or another location. Thanks
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 4:42 pm    

Hey Bob--you caught me in front of my monitor. You needed to search for Superbro. Here's their order form and you can click on the Superbro for their small description.
http://www.steelguitar.com/accessor/orderfrm.htm

Not a lot of product info but...

The only other 'bro simulator that I've heard good things about (but never heard) is the Duane Marrs Catcan---I think it's called something like "the Marrs RGS"--I'm not sure of the actual name. Someone told me that this sounds as good as the Goodrich. It is a complete neck with an actual built in resonator (an honest to goodness cat food can). But it is an instrument, not a sound processor. I've never heard anybody talk about the Melobar Dobroism thing (I've seen it on their website and always wondered.) I'd be interested in hearing feedback about that one.
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 2:42 am    

Herby Wallace has the SuperBro as well as Bobbe Seymour, and I'll bet that Bud Hall has one too.
www.herbywallace.com
www.steelguitar.net

Bud Hall's Guitar Town
1065 E. Baseline Road
Evansville, IN 47711
812-867-3569

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger