| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hal Rugg's triplets ??
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 9:06 am    

I think you'll all know the lick I'm referring to, as it's one of Hal's trademarks.
This year at the ISGC, Mr. Kobiyashi launched into a spurt of them while Hal was watching... Hal acknowledged it by smiling and bowing at the corner of the stage. It was pretty funny. Although there are many examples, one is during Hal's version "Down to my last cigarette" on his new album(s).
I've tried to find some of them, but they're eluding me. Anyone ??
Thanks!
-John
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 9:57 am    

I don't have any Hal Rugg John and unfortunatly wasn't at the convention. Do you have an example sound clip or something I could hear what your refering to? Love to help and now I'm curious.
Ricky
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 6:05 pm    

John,

Sounds like your talking about a Loretta Lynn tune, can't think of the title, maybe Honky Tonk Girl.
Really fast triplets, like 1/16T's.

1/-----17-------15--------12-------10----
2/---------------------------------------
3/--17B-------15-------12B-------10------
4/-------17-------15L-------12-------10--
.....+ a 1.....+ a 2 etc.

1/----8----
2/---------
3/--8------
4/-----8L--

Drew Howard

------------------
http://www.newslinkassociates.com

[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 25 September 2000 at 07:06 PM.]

[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 25 September 2000 at 07:07 PM.]

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 7:02 pm    

I'm going to give this a shot...
I know what lick you're talking about and I'd love to learn it to. I have uploaded a sound clip in mp3 format of the lick to my website. I'll try to make a link to it so y'all can download it.
www.geocities.com/Nashville/Bluegrass/4625/halrugglick.mp3

Don't have a clue if that is going to work or not. If it doesn't I'll keep trying.
I think it does work, but it redirects you to some page that says "Piracy" and says to click "here" to access the file. It seems to work fine when you do though. So I hope someone will listen to the file and figure out this awesome lick....maybe even Hal himself!!!

------------------
Dave Alfstad
Indianola, Iowa

[This message was edited by Dave Alfstad on 26 September 2000 at 08:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dave Alfstad on 26 September 2000 at 08:05 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dave Alfstad on 26 September 2000 at 08:06 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dave Alfstad on 26 September 2000 at 08:10 PM.]

Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 9:19 pm    

Cool clip, Dave! .. What song is that from?

Steve
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 4:20 am    

That clip is Hal Rugg from one of his new CD's. The song is Down To My Last Cigarette from his Sliding For Scale CD. Both of his new CD's, Sliding For Scale and Finally are must-haves in my opinion. They are GREAT!

------------------
Dave Alfstad
Indianola, Iowa

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 4:28 am    

BTW...the lick in this sample is completely extended. Hal does this lick in other places but it is much shorter. I think he just overplayed the lick in this sample to say "I'm Hal Rugg and you're not"
I think it's great, but for practical application I'd like to just know how to play the meat of the lick so I could use it in the context that I would like to.

------------------
Dave Alfstad
Indianola, Iowa

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 4:49 am    

John,

There is another type of triplet that Hal plays alot. The tab and the song are Ricky's tab site.

the song is a Loretta Lynn tune "When the tingle becomes a chill".

The tempo is slow and you should be able to get the drift of how to do it.

Hope this helps.

Mark T.
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 10:18 am    

Dave, That's It ! Thanks for posting that, 'cause I don't know how. He also does a little portion of the same lick in the same cut, at about the 30 second mark or so. I'd be happy if I could even figure the little one out.
Drew, thanks for that tab! that one will take a bit of practice before I can play it smoothly. It's along the same lines - Hal double-stops the first note with another.
MTulbert, thank you, I'll check that out too. You guys are the best!
-John
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 11:32 am    

In the clip that Dave posted; I listened to it but don't have my steel with me. But that section where he goes to the 5 chord and back to the 1 and so forth; Hal is playing the 2nd string and 3rd string together with fingers and bouncing off the 4th string and that should get you started on figuring out that section. Hopefully after the weekend I can actually get my steel out of the van and play through that clip>sounds great and I use that lick quite a bit in variation.
As far as the lick Drew posted; I too use that little "flick" of the strings is what I call it; and the key to that is have your thumb on the 3rd string and 2nd finger on the 1st string before you start; and try and play that thumb then 2nd finger almost on top of each other(very quickly) and as soon as you hit that 2nd finger; reach down and "flick" that 4th string to shut it down>make since?
It take practice but if you think of it as quickly flickin' the strings almost right on top of each other; it comes very easily and quickly.
Have fun. Hope that helps.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
www.mightyfinemusic.com
sshawaiian@aol.com

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 8:28 pm    

Mr. Steele,
If you have listened to John Hughey's new cd "Neck to Neck",he does a Hal Rugg lick in "Makin Plans",I love the way John is doing that lick and I have been trying to woodshed it down but can only get close,really I have all of the song but that lick.

Ricky, (hint Hint) ,You seem to grasp John's licks real good,so if you can get to listen to it,I would be ever so greatful if you could tab it,you save me some grey hair.
Thanks

------------------
Dan Layne

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 9:07 pm    

Well, Ok gang, I kicked this thing around again tonight for a while, not the exact lick that Dave posted, but the simplified one in the same tune at about 36 seconds into the cut. I figured it was a better place to start. That other one is scary
I'm getting a sinking feeling that it may be done with a knee lever that raises string 1 a whole tone from F#-G# and also string 2 a half tone D#-E, releasing it then bouncing off another string in between.(maybe the fourth?) I hope I'm wrong.
I don't have that change I raise the first, but not the second.
Dan, I haven't heard John Hughey's latest album yet. He's great!
-John
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 9:26 pm    

Hey Dan I don't have the CD pal and I would of course need to hear it. Do you have a clip of what you want?
John I wish I could hear what your talking about; the clip that Dave posted; is that the song in question? That solo I did listen to and I think if you play strings 2 and 3 and hit string 4 inbetween; I think you can come up with it. Thats what I hear>man I wish I had my steel and I could pick it out.
Let me know after the weekend if ya got her figured yet; and I can give it a whirl. Or if someone has the clip of that first small section you are talking about; we can look at that one too.
Ricky
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 7:36 am    

John,

Whooops, I was thinking of a different song.
Here, try this, using the E>F raise:

V to I, E to A

2/--15---------13--------12-------10-----
3/--15---------13--------12-------10-----
4/-----15R^13R----13R^12----12^10----10^-

2/-----8--------6------5-----
3/-----8--------6------5-----
4/--8R----8R^6R---6R^5---5---

I've heard Hal Rugg use variations of this without the slide, too.

V to I, A to E, staccato

2/--17-----15------13L----12-----
3/--17-----15------13-----12-----
4/----17-----15R-----13R-----12--

Drew

------------------
http://www.newslinkassociates.com
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 7:42 am    

Let's get the ball rolling. This is what I have so far. Any changes are welcome. Maybe someone can try to finish it off. "r" means raise the 4th string 1/2 tone (the E to F raise). The beat count is on line 10 and matches the hit of the snare drum. I think the best part is how on beat number 3, when Rugg plays 3 sliding notes instead of the usual 2, he puts the double notes on the beat for the rest of the ride. Clever.

1_________________________________________________________________________________

2___18_____________16_______________14_______________16___________________________
3___18_____________16_______________14_______________16___________________________
4_______18_~_16r_________16r_~_14r________14r_~_16r_________16r_~_14r_____________
5_________________________________________________________________________________
6_________________________________________________________________________________
7_________________________________________________________________________________
8_________________________________________________________________________________
9_beat____________________________________________________________________________
10________________________1___________________________________2___________________

1_________________________________________________________________________________

2___14_______________13___________________11_____________13_______________________
3___14_______________13___________________11_____________13_______________________
4_______14r_~_13r__________13_~_12_~_11________11_~_13_________13_~_14r___________
5_________________________________________________________________________________
6_________________________________________________________________________________
7_________________________________________________________________________________
8_________________________________________________________________________________
9__beat___________________________________________________________________________
10__________________________3_____________________________4_______________________

2___14_______________16______________14_______________13__________________________
3___14_______________16______________14_______________13__________________________
4________14r_~_16r________16r_~_14r_________14r_~_13________13_~_11_______________
9__beat___________________________________________________________________________
10____________________5________________________________6__________________________

2___11______________13____________________________________________________________
3___11______________13____________________________________________________________
4________11_~__13________13_~_11__________________________________________________
10___________________7____________________________________________________________

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 12:21 pm    

Ok, I finally got that first little part, at about 36 seconds into the cut. (Dave, could I be so bold as to make a request; could you post it? It's just little ) Hal uses it to walk from the IV back down to the I. (He plays this tune in Bb)
Lord love us and Savus, Ricky Davis....
You've got ears like a damned dog You are of course, correct. It's at 2,3,4 string thing. I bet you could hear a mouse peein' on cotton.
I'll try to post the timing for it too, 'cause it's crucial to the lick. Remember the lick portion is triplets, so there's two dots between each beat. I'll also post the little lead in thingie.
r means raise half tone
L means lower half tone
LL means lower whole tone

(Lead-in bar)
Bb
1-----------------------------|
2-----------------------------|
3---------13b-13b-12b-11b--11~|<---
4--13~13c-13c-13c-12c-11c--11~|this last note
5--13~13c-13c-13c-12c-11c--11~|carries into
6-----------------------------|next bar
1 . 2 3 . 4 .

Eb Bb
{THE LICK ............................)
1----------------------------------------|---
2-----------------10L-------8L--------6~~|6r-
3~11--10b~10b~10b-10b-8b~8b-8b--6b~6b-6b~|6--
4~11--10~~10r~10------8c~8------6c~6-----|---
5~11-------------------------------------|---
6----------------------------------------|---
1 . 2 . . 3 . . 4 . . 1

I knew we'd crack the case, team

Dave, please let me know what you think. I'm pretty sure that's the basic lick.
Now, getting it smooth... that's another thing !
Thanks,
-John

[This message was edited by John Steele on 28 September 2000 at 01:37 PM.]

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 5:50 pm    

Hi all again.
Boy there's a lot of interest in this, that's cool. I am painting my house this week and don't have much time for my steel
but I am going to print these off and try them out next week for sure.
John, sure I can post the little one that you tabbed out.
www.geocities.com/Nashville/Bluegrass/4625/halrugglick2.mp3
Thank y'all for working this out.

------------------
Dave Alfstad
Indianola, Iowa

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 6:05 pm    

I don't think this link is working. I'm starting to think that Geocities may be blocking the file due to copyright infringement. Man, what a crock! It is a sound clip about 5 seconds long...how in the h*ll could I be harming anybody with that?
Guess I can't do nothing without Big Brother watchin'!
If it works for y'all let me know....I couldn't make it happen.
Sorry

------------------
Dave Alfstad
Indianola, Iowa

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2000 5:47 am    

Dave,
Here is the short triplets lick. "r" means raise 4ths tring 1/2 tone. Jeff

1___leadin__________________triplets______________________________________________

2___________________________11______________9____________7_____________6__________
3__13b__12b__~__11b___11____11___11__~__9___9___9__~_7___7__7___~__6___6___6______
4__13c__12c__~__11c___11_________11__~__9r______9r_~_7r_____7r__~__6_______6______
5__13___12___~__11____11__________________________________________________________
9_________________________________________________________________________________
10________________________________________________________________________________

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2000 6:36 am    

Well I'm still out on road; but for what my "dog ears"(I love ya brother John) have heard on the clip; and for what I have copied Hal Rugg and Weldon Myrick many times on this similar lick; I think Jeff gets the "Gold" on this one. Jeff that looks really right pal and your tab and ear looks to be very good. Great tab work by all on this and the posting of the sound clips>"Man what a Team" this is; there ain't anything in the world this section can't accomplish>"I'm proud and impressed and amazed".
Ricky
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2000 6:49 am    

Ricky,
You're embarassing us.
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2000 10:02 am    

Quote:
"I'm proud and impressed and amazed".

I'm printing.

------------------
'66 Emmons D-10 (8x6), Fessenden D-10 (8x6), Franklin D-10 (8x5)
...I'm really broke now.

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 5:42 pm    

Isn't anyone going to try to complete the second half of the solo?
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 1:32 pm    

Jeff,
Thanks a million for your work in figuring this out. I'm still painting my house but I sat down with your tab the other day for a bit and it is right on the money as far as I can tell. I can't wait to be done with my house so I can get back to important stuff like my steel and my computer . Right now I am working on the trim and we went with 2 colors so it is very tedious and a pain in the a$$. Oh well...
Thanks again Jeff!

------------------
Dave Alfstad
Indianola, Iowa

Garryharris

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 7:07 pm    

Several years ago I attended a recording session as a guest of a friend of mine. The artist recording was Mr. G. Jones along with Melba Montgomery. During one of the breaks I was commenting on the beautiful sound of an experimental steel that was featured on the Opry a few days prior to this. This guitar had double strings like a mandolin and the song was "Beautiful Dreamer"and I couldn't remember who played it. Hal spoke up and acknowledged that he was the player. My friend who knows most of the steel players who are contemporaries of Hal says that Hal is underated.