| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thanx Baz!
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2003 10:37 pm    

Just a quick note to tout the kindness of the forum's own Basil Henriques, a man who went out of his way and expense to aid me in replaceing a misgrooved bridge for my B8. He not only sent an original and correct match, but included a few of his fine CDs! Many mahalos Basil!

------------------
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 9:46 am    

Mahalo Nui Ron,

Never mind the bridge ... what did ya think about the C.D.'s
I still find it hard to believe that I sounded like that when I was 23 and not a lesson from anyone.
You see It's a bit of a wilderness over here regarding the instruction and the likes.
Quite difficult regarding spare parts , you might have read my comments regarding Emmons, but In the case of "Ricky's" not so much of a wilderness, in 1963 in just the Solihul area of Birmingham, I knew of 8 hawaiian guitarists 6 of whom owned "Ricks" one of them had a Fender Stringmaster Quad and another had a Gold-silver-Aluminium Bronson.

Hawaiian music has always been popular in the U.K. in the fourties Felix Mendlessohn and A.P. Sharpe's Honolulu Hawaiians and the Waikiki Islanders did tons of broadcasts and theater shows, in the fifties it was the Blue Hawaiians and the sixties was the era of the new Waikiki Islanders.

John Marsden has an article in the latest issue of Aloha Dream about the early years of the BBC and Hawaiian groups broadcasts,
A particularly interesting programme is listed for April 1st. 1925, from Belfast. Commencing at 7.30p.m, a two-hour extravaganza entitled “April Folly” includes amongst the performers the Keech Brothers and “Kekuku” {Songs with the Banjolele, Banjo and Hawaiian Steel Guitar}.
Among the pieces they played were “Hawaiian Hula Melody”, “The Rosary”, “My California”, “My Hilo Girl”, “One two three four “ and “Follow the Swallow”.

Joseph Kekuku, of course, is credited by many with inventing the steel guitar, and he had come to England with the Bird of Paradise show. He broadcast again from London on July 16th, 8.00-9.00p.m, in “Way Down South” - the Southern Trio in Negro Spirituals and syncopated songs; Kekuku in Hawaiian Steel Guitar solos, accompanied by Danglada. I found one further broadcast, also from London, on Monday Sept.21st, 1925, 9.45p.m.-10.00- Kel and Alven Keech, assisted by Kekuku with his Hawaiian Guitar. He is always billed by his surname alone.

It seems they attached quite some importance to playing to the "Colonials" and in fairness their shows were greatly appreciated. The UK contingent regularly visited the Islands of Aloha, it became the epitome of paradise.

The aforementioned players were in no small way responsible for this anual emigration

With the EMI albums I may have helped somewhat in the sixties, but have NEVER been to the Islands myself

Edwin Pouncey of EMI-Time Warner/AOL records says on the sleeve notes of one of my albums ,
quote:
"In the same way that US masters of exotic music as Martin Denny and Les Baxter transported their listeners to mysterious tropical islands and ancient civilizations, Birmingham born Basil Henriques and his Waikiki Islanders managed to re-create a similar mirage on these two albums from the EMI Studio 2 series. Henriques destination was Hawaii, the unmistakable sound of which he expertly summoned up from the strings of his steel guitar, an instrument that was perfectly adapted to capture the mood and romance of the South Seas - with its golden beaches, palm trees and dramatic burning sunsets - and transport it into thousands of suburban homes across the UK. Basil Henriques was, for many mood music fans, the main supplier of instant sunshine. His vast repertoire included favourite songs from films such as Dr. Zivago and The Sound of Music, old favourites like "Strangers in The Night" and "Moon River" , together with popular hits such as Dusty Springfield's "Just Lovin' You" and Acker Bilk's eternal "Stranger On The Shore". For the latter Henriques imitates the sound of a soaring seagull with his instrument, an evocative and atmospheric touch which evokes dreams ( or maybe memories ) of balmier foreign climes.

Edwin Pouncey."

I might be wandering away a little from the crux of the matter but I just got the idea that I may have a go at beating Jody's record for long posts.
On second thoughts I think it's a no contest.

baz.
www.waikiki-islanders.com

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

[This message was edited by basilh on 04 February 2003 at 09:48 AM.]

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 10:29 am    

You should bring your group to the islands! You could enjoy Hawaii and we could get some great music. What a unique flavor and feel you give to the tunes you chose. You had it happening at age 23, and with no tutoring, wow! Keep us appraised as to your upcoming releases, love to hear more of this.

------------------
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 1:43 am    

Glad you like the music.
BTW when I play I LIFT the bar off the strings to damp them, I believe this is incorrect and suposedly NOT the way. (according to some)
I also use pick blocking extensively and rarely palm block.
Rolling the hand to the left to raise the bar off the strings seems the most natural way to stop strings from sounding when they shouldn't.
Please don't get me wrong , I'm NOT suggesting that others should do this , but I will ask the question "Am I doing it wrong"
and is the end result any worse for the way I do it ?
Baz

[This message was edited by basilh on 05 February 2003 at 08:49 AM.]

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 2:24 am    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 16 Jan 2018 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 10:20 am    

Good music is what it's about, and you certainly know good music Baz. There are many ways to skin a guitar, so whatever works is what I'm willing to enjoy. Bob Brozman does everything 'wrong', thank God!

------------------
Harry Dietrich

Robesonia, Pennsylvania, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 12:40 pm    

Baz
I've been doing it that way too, for 54 years, so I guess we are both wrong. LOL!!

Harry