| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tut Taylor brand Dobros
Bob Kononiuk

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2003 9:43 am    

I went by a local music dealer the other day, and thay had a beautiful Tut Taylor dobro there. Until then, I have never heard of that particular brand ( I have heard of Tut Taylor the player before though)

Has anyone played one of his instruments before? Do they play well? Any opinions?

Unfortunately, the store was busy and I did not see what the price was. I will call later and see.

Bob Kononiuk
Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2003 10:22 am    

Bob:

Take a look at http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/u/guild80/tut/ ...
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2003 11:10 am    

Bob K-I recently got a Crafters of Tennessee Tut Taylor Carolina model spruce top Dobro-I bought it so I could "retire" my 1929 model 66-it sounds good and I like the traditional look and construction of Tut's guitars
Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2003 8:18 pm    

A freind of mine just bought one after he had to give up Banjo because of cutting off some fingers. I liked the instrument. It played well and had a more "loose" tone than the Scheerhorns and Clinesmiths.
Good luck,
Pat
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2003 8:42 pm    

I've got a 72 model and I love it. Good warm tone and loud!
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2003 9:29 pm    

For Christmas I received a Tut Taylor TTT Tennessean...It has a Pre-war Regal Body shape...Mahogany, ebony board...abalone inlay..and a wonderful warm,round rich tone...I tune C6 even for Dobro and it took a couple of days to setle in to the tuning and I have found some reso's just don't sound "right" in C6...I'm happy to report the Taylor is perfect for Hawaiian music...it has actually starting "breaking in" quicker than any instrument I have ever owned...it actually is becoming warmer as each day goes by...actually in about another couple of hours..(after my daughter goes to bed) I am going to have a recording test and put it up against all my other resos, even my Tri-cone...it sounds that good...I want to use it as my "main" guitar and if it passes sonicly after living w/ the recording for a couple of weeks...( I play the same song in unison on my 8 track w/ a bunch of guitars and pan back and forth and sideways!)...and I'm thinking I will be able to pre down the collection and just use the Taylor..It sounds taht good to me, I'll just get a different perspective on the recording(tape doesn't lie)...but...I love mine..it has exactly the tone I am looking for in a reso and I'm sure in G it would make a great bluegrass guitar...I give mine a 10 and it was a 2nd!!!!
Mike
Peter Mosco

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 7:44 pm    

I HAVE A TUT TAYLOR FR0M THE 70'S. SERIAL #9
IT IS A GREAT SOUNDING DOBRO BETTER SOUNDING AND CONSTRUCTION THAN THE OMI DOBROS OF THE TIME.
Fred Brown

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 11:12 am    

Last Fall, I bought a Crafter's Tennessean (model TTT like Mikey's). And I love it to death. I am a total newbie. So I had Erik Waynesmith look at it while he was in Austin for the Austin ResoFest. He gave it all kinds of praise ...one of the best he'd seen. I think they're great.
Fred