| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JB Instructional Material
Stewart Laird

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 2:23 am    

Being new to steel guitar I'm looking at buying some JB instructional material. I notice that JB has a book/casette course and also a video course. Can anyone recommend the best one to go for. Should I get both or would that be overkill?

Thanks
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 3:38 am    

There is no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to J.B.! It's only a matter of {can I afford it} If you can, go for the whole kit and kabootal! You'll enjoy it and he will appreciate it as well. There' nothing like earning from the "Master"! "Big John" http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/doc http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/doc0
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 8:36 am    

Definitely get both! The video will 'show' technique and go into more detail. It's a perfect complement to the coursebook.
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 8:36 am    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 16 Jan 2018 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 12:06 pm    

Stewart, I suggest you drop whatever you are currently doing, get on a plane, boat, astral project or whatever and get to Oahu and learn directly from Jerry, now!. You will not regret it! You'll learn in one year what it took THE MASTER 50 years to perfect. From that point forward you can then play with anybody and in any style you wish with complete control of your hands and mind while getting the very most out of the instrument possible. It's up to the individual as to where they wish to take it afterward, there will be no limits other than those you impose upon yourself. You don't have to be a JB clone, but you will have that opportunity(should you posses that amount of talent)and be able to take it to a level that you may never otherwise attain and still keep your individuality. All the while having a blast and an experience you will never forget. The video and book only hint at what you will glean by sitting next to one of the smartest, nicest and fun persons you will ever meet. Plus once you are here(you may never leave)you'll hook up with the other local talents to digest what they have to offer as well as hearing the vast array of Hawaiian music(past, present and future)which cannot be conceived of without hanging here for a while. Do it now! He's waiting. The same goes for all others who say they wish they could have learned from Jerry. It's never too late to greatly improve on your already immense talents unless you continue to wait til the final inevitability. Your choice. Do it now!

------------------
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 12:21 pm    

Stewart, Jeff's reply reminds me of the guys who say that learning theory will ruin there playing. That's just a lame excuse and it shows in how they sound. Jerry Byrds instructional course comes with tapes, so you can copy the feel of what this master does. The tab makes it very easy to combine these two approaches for fast results. I started record copying at a time when there was almost no tab around. I have a very good ear and sense of groove because of it. But make no mistake, nothing beats having tab in front of you, that is correct and the actual recording to go by. It saves alot of time and depression. There is hardly any free tab on the inter-net. that is worth a damn, especially for lap steel. Sorry Jeff, but I'm a very obsessive compulsive type and I've looked hard. And yes, I have the JB instructional course and it's great. It's well written and the tapes sound great. Maybe Jeff is really a classical music kind a guy? I've met a few that are reliant on notation and can't remember a piece of music they have played a hundred times. But, the bottom line here is, Jeff's constant problem with JB demonstrates that it's Jeff, "Whose ear's are not tuned to what he or she is doing on the instrument"
Tough love bruddah...peace

[This message was edited by Jesse Pearson on 15 January 2003 at 01:18 PM.]

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 1:55 pm    

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 2:17 pm    

Lord, If I am wrong, please forgive me for this.

Jeff you are nothing but a cry baby who was put down by the master (probably for GOOD cause) and you epitomize the ole saying,

"Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open thy mouth and remove all doubt".

ANY thinking person who has grown up with the evolution of the lap (and PSG) KNOWS what you are trying to do. And your lack of credence shows through EVERY single post you make. It is not working. NO body is paying one bit of attention to you in your non-stop vendetta against the world's greatest lap steel player.

You could not carry his case, let alone try and convince ANY one that you have an ounce of credibility when it comes to JB. All you do with your venom is to dig your grave deeper.

Jerry Byrd is LOVED the world over. He has been since we first heard him. He comes the closest to sounding like the original Hawaiian steel players of ANY non true Hawain that has EVER lived. His touch and tone is unprecedented in the history of the instrument!

And everything he has ever played or written; and most of what he has said is worth its weight in Gold to anyone aspiring to the steel guitar. In addition to thousands of us who respect the unbelievable and incredible achievements of this man.

ONLY Buddy Emmons, is in the league with what JB has meant to the steel guitar. These two geniuses stand alone in the history of our beloved instrument. They are to the lap and PSG what soo many of the greats such as Vladimir Horowtitz, were to their chosen instrument.

There is NOT a single true Hawaiian guitar player living or dead; that could touch him. NOT one! And many of them will attest to that, except those like you, who have been given constructive criticism. Or those that are simply prejudiced against a non Hawaiian.

For you to continue to use this forum with your trite, "out of order" and totally false sarcasms against Jerry, makes you sound like a man overboard yellin for water.

So cool it Jeff. No body cares a tee tinkers about the verbal diahhrea that is coming out of your keyboard.

God help us all from having to listen to such garbage, trying to malign a man you are not even in the same universe with; let alone same field.

b0bby, IF ANY of the above is out of order, please delete this post.

carl
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 2:47 pm    

Gentlemen, let's keep on topic.

Although Jeff has a point (steel guitar is relatively easy to learn by just sitting down and playing it), I think you'll do far better by obtaining training through whatever means are available to you. This is especially true if you are interested in learning to play in a particular style, be it Hawaiian, country, blues, Indian, or whatever.

Obviously having an experienced player show you how to play would be the best way to learn. Since that's not an option for most of us, videos and tapes such as those offered by Mr. Byrd are the next best thing.

I do have a copy of one of Mr. Byrd's earlier methods published by/for Rickenbacker. It's great, and I have no reason to think that his other material is of any lower quality.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 2:49 pm    

Stewart Laird

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 3:18 pm    

Thanks for the feedback guys! I didn't think such a simple question could generate so much interest.

I think Ron has the best idea.
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 3:40 pm    

Jeff, look at your own words, "Speaking about JB is speaking the language that a lot of people here can relate to". Why, maybe because this is the "language of the common practice period of contemporary non pedal steel". You say you play bebop piano right, show me one bop musician worth his salt who didn't study note for note their idols who distinguished themselves above the rest, (Bird could quote Lester Young note for note). So, when you tell an admitted new comer interested in JB to forget about one of the best instructional courses out there and advise this new comer to just basically learn how to tune their instrument and go for it with a tape player on their own, how can we not wonder what's wrong with this picture? You are putting your own needs and wants on a higher plateau then that of another mans best interests, not to mention insulting the rest of us who speak this "language". JB is a great teacher and player and he doesn't deserve being disrespected.
Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 3:52 pm    

Just think how great Mozart could have been if he hadn't been taught music by his father.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 4:02 pm    

If Stewart or anyone else who jumps on my idea of coming to Oahu for the best deal in steel, I'll be happy to lend you a steel and amp while your here to accomplish your goal. And fellas, lets lighten up on ol' Jeff, he really is a nice guy and will no doubt one day be adding to the legacy of the finest instrument ever made by man. I think I have a good idea where he's coming from and is no where close to being the demon portrayed. A little devil is good to have in us all, especially musicians, what a boring candy ars world it would be if everybody was soooo nice all the time. Back to topic, at $25 a lesson(I even got a $5 rebate one time!)to sit one on one with JB once a week, how can you refuse?! If you could learn from whomever else you thot was the best at your(other)chosen instrument at that price, would you say no? It took me 20 years to finally decide it was time to stop goofing around and hook up with Jerry, please don't let that happen to you. Time is running out!

------------------
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 5:03 pm    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 16 Jan 2018 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 6:10 pm    

Stewart, I'm waiting for Jerry's instructional cook book...with all the recipes tabbed out...you'll learn a lot faster than if you used the hunt and peck method of adding ingredients until you finally get it right...

...and get the video too...it'll show just how much vibrato should be used when stirring the ingredients...like, chocolate chips should be added one at a time for accuracy until you can natually drop them into the mix at an even tempo...as the chip falls into the dough, it will make a 'p-tah' sound upon contact, which is the desired effect...keep practicing until you can hear the 'p-tah' with each new morsel that is added...you wouldn't know you're doing the 'p-tah' correctly unless you get the video too...

woops...I think I posted this under the wrong thread....sorry guys..

Stewart Laird

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 6:36 pm    

Everyone has differnt ways of learning and whatever works is the best way for you. Like most things in life it's never a simple either/or answer.

I'm sure there's a lot to be learned from both the video and book. I'll work on those while saving for my ticket to Hawaii.

I really appreciate all the feedback - Thanks
Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 8:15 pm    

A(nother) Jerry Byrd controversy? A sure sign that Jeff Au Hoy is back on the Forum!

I guess it's a good thing that you weren't in a crosswalk when you saw JB driving around Honolulu, Jeff!

That would have been a lot more painful than getting trampled by a flock of sheep ...

(Welcome back, Jeff.)
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 9:20 pm    

I know a good way to settle this. Lets have a cutting contest up in L.A. Jeff, are you still gigging at that restaurant? Why don't we plan our own little west coast convention. We can let the music do the talking. It would be alot of fun and Russ, you could bring your sheep dog! E-mail if this sounds like a plan...Thanks

[This message was edited by Jesse Pearson on 15 January 2003 at 09:23 PM.]

Gary Slabaugh

Scottsdale, AZ
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 9:32 pm    

Go away for a few days and look at all the controversy again! Not my thing.

I bought the Jerry Byrd Steel Guitar Course for Serious Players (real title I think) a little less than a year ago. I worked in a very dedicated fashion and found great results. I got bogged down at the point of learning scales, but know that is a worthwhile effort (Book 3 , advananced).

If someone has a lot of music theory already they will cruise through some sections faster than I did. I liked the fact that I was playing some songs with the particular lesson, so it did not get boring. I did not always start out liking the music selections (my musical palet had not grown to fully appreciate Hawaiian at that time), but it was still good.

I have since picked up a Mel Bay course on Dobro and have just ordered some George Board cousese on "Blues" which was why I wanted a lap steel in the beginning. I have also gotten tab from a few members on the forum. Learn where you can. I would buy the JB course again to get what playing improvement and instrument knowledge that it gave me (with work).
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 9:49 pm    

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 10:05 pm    

Never met anybody before who said they played bop and didn't understand the meaning of a cutting contest. Ya'll what to talk about sheep, well how are ya gonna do that if you can't get out of the chicken coop? I'm a student of JB and I'm calling you out and anybody else who thinks his students can't put up.
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 11:50 pm    

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 12:12 am    

No one said we were normal folk, just passionate. Cool Jeff...!
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 6:31 am    

Carl's post above reminds me of the Hag's
ole song:
WHEN YOU'RE RUNNIN' DOWN A COUNTRY HOSS,
YOU'RE WALKING ON THE FIGHTIN' SIDE OF ME

Jeff you really have your hands full.

Fifty years ago at 12 years of age I heard
Jerry for the first time and that sound stuck in my mind like bees to a hive. It immediately became my focus and the standard that I would strive for in my playing.
There was no tab back in those days. I recall trying in vain for two years to learn Jerry's chords on my straight A major tuning.
When I was finally introduced to the C6th tuning, the sun came shining through. There was still no tab but I could play a lot closer to Jerry's sound through hard work and practice.

If I was starting to-day and wanted to play like the "maestro" I would not hesitate to
buy his Course(s). It would save a lot of time but I don't know if it would replace the benifit of the work I had to do back in the lean 50's.

Roy

------------------
http://www.clictab.com/royt/tabmenu.htm

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 16 January 2003 at 06:33 AM.]