| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Don Helms setup with Hank Williams?
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 11:35 am    

Wow, I think I've had this wrong. I can't find much on the internet about Don Helms Gibson Grande Console other than the tunings,(Brads Page of Steel). I've been thinking Don used a long scale neck because he didn't like to slant, now I've been told Gibson didn't make a long scale Grande untill 56'. Don joined Hank in 1950, so...??? Also, is there a site for Gibson that has information on their steels? Thanks
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 12:50 pm    

Jesse-the Console Grande which Don used in recording with Hank is the short scale model maple sunburst from the late 40's (I believe) the first Console Grandes had the Charlie Christian pickups with two control knobs and three legs-the next model had the rounded edge pickups with pole pieces and three control knobs and three legs-this is the model that he used-the next model had the squarish "P-90" type pickups and four legs-the last Console Grande of the series evolution is the longer scale "walnut looking" finish with the 4-8-4 pickup configuaration and the "cut out switch"-this information is from my own experience having owned each of the four types of Console Grand (except the elusive triple neck) and my direct in person conversation with D.H.

[This message was edited by PAUL WARNIK on 10 January 2003 at 12:51 PM.]

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 1:17 pm    

Thanks Paul, this is just what I needed to know. I guess I have to reevaluate my understanding of long scale verses short scale again. I really luv Don's sound on those Hank Williams records. I guess it's a right of passage to learn his stuff. Is it really true that Don never used slants on those records or played the lower two strings on his 8 string E6 tuning?

Does anybody know who Don was influenced by or does anybody have any cool Hank Williams/Don Helms pics of the two of them playing together?

I think I'll get that Don Helms Tab book that Dewitt Scott is selling, anybody gone through it?

[This message was edited by Jesse Pearson on 10 January 2003 at 02:23 PM.]

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 5:41 pm    

[This message was edited by Jesse Pearson on 08 June 2003 at 05:37 PM.]

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 8:23 pm    

Man, we couldn't get that picture to take. The image space would come up blank, we'd hit the back button and then hit the forward button and it would be there? We finally gave up on Geocities and moved the picture somewhere else. Weird!
Terry Huval

Lafayette, Louisiana
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 10:29 pm    

While Don did not use slants very much, he did use them from time-to-time on Hank's recordings. Examples are found on "They'll Never Take Her Love From Me", "My Son Calls Another Man Daddy", "Why Should We Try Anymore", "Honky Tonk Blues" and "Nobody's Lonesome for Me".

He used the lst 2 strings together on a number of songs, including "Cold, Cold Heart". Don's slants tend to be more like a passing chord to transition to a non-slant bar position to another non-slant bar position.

I hope that helps.
John Hanusch

Benson, AZ USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 9:02 am    

WOW!! I just found new wallpaper for my desktop. Thanks, Jesse, that's a great picture. There's Hank and Don -- is that Rivers w/fiddle & MacNutt w/guitar or who?? Who's the bassman??
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 9:25 am    

Well, I just got off the phone with Don Helms, thanks to Dewitt Scott. Don was very kind to answer my questions and share his feelings about his days with Hank Williams.

Don's major influences were:
Leon McAuliffe
Jerry Bird
Roy Wiggins

The promo picture up above has:
Bass-Howard Watts
Guitar-Sammy Pruett
Fiddle-Jerry Rivers
Steel-Don Helms
Lead vocals/rhythm guitar-Hank Williams

Don said he never could slant like JB, so he learned to work around that. He does slant, but it's more for making a transition.

His Gibson Console Grande is a 22.5" that he used with Hank. He has an extra one that he travels with on the airlines, so he doesn't have to worry about losing the one he used with Hank. Don traded a Fender Deluxe Double 8, with box car pickups to a guy in Baltimore for the Gibson he used with Hank. Don does have the oval pickups with the big pole pieces, which came out after the "Charlie Christian" style pickups. And as "Steve Larios" so eloquently put it,"thus the sound of country music was changed".

Don said he had nothing but fond memories of working with Hank. He said he's gone back to playing the Gibson Grande most of the time (See, non pedal steel really is making a come back. Come on in boys, the water's fine!)

Don is currently working with Hank's daughter Jett. Don just recorded a tune with Hank the third for a Disney movie and said he played with Hank Jr for about six years. Talk about keeping it in the family, too cool! Just like Jerry Byrd, Don doesn't own a computer.
God Bless you Mr. Helms...Thanks

[This message was edited by Jesse Pearson on 11 January 2003 at 08:47 PM.]

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 10:34 am    

Don't get up folks, it's only me again. Thanks to Jesse's comment to me, and with the help of my wife holding the other end of the metal tape exactly, be advised that my Console Grande is also 22.5 scale. Sorry, if I added some confusion when I said 22 5/8.

And, I meant to add that coincidentally my influences were also Leon, Jerry and Roy, but in the reverse order. Must have something to do with Console Grandes!!!!!

[This message was edited by George Rout on 11 January 2003 at 10:36 AM.]

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 11:42 am    

For me one of the highlights of Scotty's show last year was Don and Lloyd Green playing together on all those Hank Williams tunes
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 7:43 pm    

Did you also know that before the double-8 console there was the console with 8 strs. on the inside neck, and 7 strs. on the outside neck? This also preceeded the change to four legs! "Big John"
Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 10:28 pm    

John -- That's actually the Gibson I've got (7 outside, 8 inside) from none other than Paul Warnick.

That's all I play.

Al
Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 11:44 pm    

Thanks, Jesse, for a GREAT post!
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2003 10:30 am    

AL T-that one you got from me is a good one for sure-it has the same type pickups as "The Guitar" that D.H. used with H.W. and still owns!
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2003 11:49 am    

If you want to play Hank tunes right, Don's lesson tab book on the subject is a "must have".
Alan Michael

Winston-Salem North Carolina U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2003 6:21 pm    

Bob...where can we get Don's lesson/tab book?
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2003 6:54 pm    

Dewitt Scott carries the only one I know of, check out his site. Don told me Scotty is one of his closest friends and they go way back. Scotty compiled and edited the book. I'm getting one and it comes with a play along tape. http://www.scottysmusic.com/miscinst.htm
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2003 9:03 am    

The Don Helms book from Scotty is really fantastic- every time I play through it I get more insight into Don's Genius- he really knew his tuning and used it well- Anybody who loves his style wil get a LOT out of that book!
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 3:43 pm    

If it wasn't for Don, I wouldn't be HERE on the forum. He (and Sol and Andy)inspired me to start.
Baz.
www.waikiki-islanders.com

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk