| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The definitive Junior Brown?
Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2002 4:57 pm    

After all that talk about "guit-steels," I think it's time for me to hear some Junior Brown.

Any recommendations for a first CD?
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2002 5:34 pm    

All of them are great, but Semi Crazy doesn't have as much steel guitar as the others do. If you like Blues, check out Guit-Steel Blues off of the "Guit With It" CD - it's outta sight!
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2002 9:44 pm    

Junior High...
Mikey
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2002 5:53 am    

His first two CD's, Guit With It and 12 Shades Of Brown were my introduction, and I think still have some of his best work on them.

Check his tour schedule out on his website at http://www.juniorbrown.com If he's coming to your area, buy a ticket and GO. You won't need to know the tunes already, because you'll be too busy putting your eyes back in your head, and picking your jaw up off the floor to care.

TJW
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2002 8:08 am    

You can't judge Junior by his CDs. Nothing can come close to his performances. Drive for two days if you have to. Get there early and get up close. You will relive the whole history of country music, Western swing, rock'n'roll and blues, and hear all the connections (possibly in a single song, possibly in a single verse). You will realize the small box you have been playing in, and be born again.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2002 9:37 am    

His wife plays guitar with him, doesn't she?
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2002 11:12 am    

Quote:
His wife plays guitar with him, doesn't she?

Erv -- she used to.

Not sure why she's not anymore, but the poor fellow sitting in on rhythm guitar at the show I saw last week wasn't "getting it," as far as Junior was concerned. Junior kept giving him dirty looks, and went back to adjust the guy's amp several times. At one point, Junior yelled to him "Simple! Keep it SIMPLE!" I guess the guy just was trying to do more than the song called for.

Junior DOES like the bass, drums and R.G. to be VERY simple, because with what Junior is doing, it would be a cluttered mess, otherwise. Still, I felt sorry for the poor SOB. He seemed to take it in stride, though.

TJ
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2002 1:38 pm    

Tanya Rae has not been touring with Junior for awhile now-It must take alot of endurance to power strum an acoustic guitar for 90 mins behind him-I really like "Long Walk Back" as about my favorite C.D by J.B.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2002 2:58 pm    

Yeah, what a gig--holding down bar chords, strumming up and down, AND getting hollered at by some guy in a Jimmy Martin hat!
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2002 5:56 am    

I would not want the job as J.B.'s rhythm player-He has had four of them (incuding Tanya Rae) since I have known him-However I can think of alot of worse jobs to have-Anyone here who has ever played backup on stage knows that sometimes you have to just "grin and bear it"