| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster leg clutch problems
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2002 11:50 am    

Hey kidz! Say, does anyone know much about the clutch design of a "mic stand" style Stringmaster leg? One of my Stringmasters came with legs that are screwed up, and I'm tired of fighting them.

The problem? It seems the clutch just wasn't keeping the legs from slipping down when it was set up, so, the previous owner put little rubber "O" rings near the top of the inner shaft, to provide friction. Did that work? Well, yes and no. It DOES keep 'em from slipping. However, it's also REALLY hard to pull those inner shafts out (not to mention push 'em back in when I'm done playing). I tried taking the rubber O-rings off, but then the legs slip too much. Setting up and tearing down for gigs is getting to be a big drag.

I see that there is a brass ring around that inner shaft that I assume is supposed to get squeezed (?) when the adjustment nut is tightend, but it doesn't quite get it done.

Any suggestions? I don't want to replace all four legs, because they are otherwise fine. I gotta believe that Mr. or Ms. Innovation out there in steelguitarland has encountered this problem before, and knows a simple, practical and cheap solution!

Thanks y'all.
TJW
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2002 12:46 pm    

Hi Todd,
Mine does this too on one leg. The legs on both my d8's are different - must have changed over the years, so I can't swith out legs to make one good set The 'clutch' on the one that has a bad leg is a set of two small, sort of dish shaped half round metal collars that get squeezed up against a flange. (sort of look like small flat fresh garlic segments) Not sure if it's brass - have not opened it for a while. I cut a piece of heavy plastic to put in there, also tried bending a round washer to simulate that shape. It sort of works, but often fails at just the wrong time. A buddy suggested I take apart an old 60's ATLAS mic stand and see if it's got parts to use. Trick is finding one.

Other option is to buy all new legs from Bobby Seymore in Nashville, or from Sierra guitars. It would run you about $75 a leg. But they are nice new legs. Trick there is you may have to re-route the leg socket for them to replace exactly. Or be stuck with a bigger hole - depends.

If you figure out something let us know.

Chris Kennison - Fort Collins, CO
"There is no spoon"

[This message was edited by seldomfed on 20 November 2002 at 12:47 PM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2002 1:37 pm    

Ok don't go buyin' new legs.....here's how it works and here's the prob.
There should be that metal ring and a plastic spacer around the insert leg.
The metal ring should go against the outter leg then the plastic spacer; then the hand tightener.
Here's why your legs are slipping....
Over years the threads of the hand tightener...will strip small metal shavings from the threads...and also get dirty....and this will create a bad connection and will never stop the insert leg from moving; no matter how hard you tighten.
Here's how to fix it.
Loosen hand tightener all the way off threads. Take rubber foot off. take hand tightener off. Take leg insert out.
Get some 3&1 oil. Clean the insert and metal ring...making sure they move freely on the insert leg. Same oil on rag.....clean the threads on outter leg till it shines clean. Same oil on rag; insert into the hand tightener and clean clean clean.....
Ok put back together by putting leg insert back into outter leg and make sure metal ring hits outter leg first and plastic spacer is behind it; put hand tightener back on.....but rubber foot back on; tighten for prefered leg length....and walla....it will never move on you again.
Have fun.
Ricky
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2002 1:42 pm    

If Ricky's tips don't help, you can order new parts here: http://www.blackaudio.com/atlaspts.htm
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2002 3:03 pm    

Right On Ricky
Oh Todd,,tell Jim Atlas I sent ya,,otherwise
you wouldnt have a "leg to stand on"
Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2002 3:49 pm    

Ricky,
Thanks for the concise info, this is something I've been meaning to ask about too.