| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd rejected by Hawaiians
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 12:59 am    

I'm sure that, with this message, I am toying dangerously with a can of worms that has been opened one too many times.

I recently got back from a hula competition where my band played for a number of dancers. While there, I met another Hawaiian steel player (a mature man who I think was in his 70s). I was of course excited to meet another steel player, as rare as they come. The two of us instantly hit it off talking about our steel heroes, our favorite guitars, etc.

Smack in the middle of the exchange the man said to me (in a very "father to son" sort of way), "I don't want to tell you what to listen to but whatever you do, don't go listening to Jerry Byrd. Once you get that stuff in your playing you'll never shake it."

And this was not the first time this had been expressed to me. I have been approached by so many other Hawaiian steel players and non-steel players alike, of many different ethnicities, telling me the same... Jerry Byrd does not sound Hawaiian and that he is misleading people (albeit unintentionally, of course) into thinking that what he plays is Hawaiian music... that it has caused me to wonder.

I personally have never doubted Jerry Byrd's unparalleled command of the instrument. However, I was wondering if someone might offer a break-down of exactly how and why Jerry Byrd's playing is "not Hawaiian".

I truly hope the answer is beyond mere bigotry.

------------------
Jeff Au Hoy
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 2:11 am    

I ain't touchin' that question with a 10 foot pole.
Ricky
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 3:38 am    

I'll touch it with a toothpick. David Kekii, Barney Isaacs, Mell Abe, Sonny Kamahele,Alan Akaka, Greg Sardinia, Kamamka Tom, Kuipo Ah Sing, Genoa Keave, and the list goes on, Billy Hew Lin etc all think Jerry sounds Hawaiian when he wants to and those endorsements are good enough for me. CC
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 4:02 am    

One more and I'll keep my mouth shut. Jarry plays other music too. Country, pop, blues,etc; He does not try to sound hawaiian playing that type of music. Another example of this was Ernie Tavares who played haw with several haw grps. When I was in Cal I saw Ernis several times playing with western swing bands and he purposely did not sound hawaiian playing that type of music. Hesure sounded hawaiian when the song called for it just like Byrd. In regard to abother post, I have not played the excel frypan, I do play a shobud frypan in addition to all my other guitars and it is a great guitar. I do respect the opinions of everyone. I'll now shut up and just fade away. CC
Jim Vogan

Ohio City, Ohio 45874
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 5:16 am    

If I ever get that stuff in my playing, I don't want to shake it. Jerry is my favorite steel player. He always has been and always will be. He's been my hero over fifty years, heroes don't last that long these days.
Jerry plays so many types of music and plays them well. Jerry sounds exactly the way he wants to, he sounds like Jerry Byrd.
Long live Jerry Byrd!

[This message was edited by Jim Vogan on 05 November 2002 at 05:17 AM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 7:32 am    

An authentic ethnic musician can only play one way.
Jack Byrd

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 7:38 am    

The topic of this thread "Jerry Byrd rejected by Hawaiians" is stated in a way to inflame response and is one I must touch upon. I can use many events and happenings to prove this is not accurate in the least as many Hawaiians do and have embraced Jerry for many years, but I will choose only one. Others could be added but I see no reason to pile more wood on the fire. I'll leave that to others.

A recent film came out entitled "Waikiki In the Wake of Dreams". It won several awards nationwide. It is a rare historical look at the most famous beach in the world. It was produced in association with the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau, The Ohau Visitors Bureau, The Queen Emma Foudation along with other organizations. There was only one steel player featured in the film and that was Jerry Byrd. He was also the only non Hawaiian featured. Do Hawaiians reject Jerry Byrd. Some do obvioulsy, but that is nothing new in the world. They cetainly did not reject him when it came to this documentary on Waikiki. I told a friend just recently, its a good thing not everyone likes the same thing, there wouldn't be enough of Jerry Byrd to go around.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 7:38 am    

My wife let me start postin' again if I promised to keep my replies positive, informative and humerous (I try anyway).....

And to never engage in any discussions of JB's "Hawaiian-ness" again ....

But she said nothin' about the topic of Hawaiian steel evolution ... so ...

Single string playin' dominated the early years of Hawaiian steel .... as players started addin' more and more harmony notes to the melody .... the sound became more "Lush" and less "Driving" .....

Of course the "Great Ones" can do both ... depending on the situation

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 7:44 am    

Quote:
"I don't want to tell you what to listen to but whatever you do, don't go listening to Jerry Byrd. Once you get that stuff in your playing you'll never shake it."

Jeff,

My response to this statement, if I were conversing with that gentleman, would have been to ask the question, "how do you know that; do you copy his playing?"

I have been listening to Jerry Byrd all of my life and my playing does not sound like his. I intentionally play in a higher staccato tone and I purposely change some of the phrasings that I hear Jerry play to try to develop my own style.

Given the choice of sitting in the audience and listening to myself play Hawaiian, any other Hawaiian player that I've ever heard, or Jerry Byrd;___I'll choose Jerry every time.

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick Collins on 05 November 2002 at 03:53 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 8:20 am    

I don't in any way claim to be a Hawaiian player, but how long has Jerry been living in HI... 30 years? And he's been working there constantly, teaching and performing, no? And are not some of his most famous students, like Owana Salazar, Alan Akaka and Casey Olsen, revered players in HI?

Jr. Brown lived and played in Hawaii for awhile and he told me that the anti-haole racism amongst some musicians there is astounding. I've not spent enough time there to see it, but that's his take on the matter. Perhaps some of you residents can discuss the situation.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 10:24 am    

Quote:
don't go listening to Jerry Byrd. Once you get that stuff in your playing you'll never shake it.

I'm not a Hawaiian player, but the above comment is narrow-minded and unprofessional.
The guy who said that sounds like a one-trick-pony who probably doesn't perform that one trick very well! I'll bet he would cut off his right foot if he could play like JB.

There's a lot of BS in the music biz, and it's important to sort out the BS from the truth. Everyone has an opinion, so consider the source when you hear comments like the one above. It's tunnel-vision and nothing more.

Buddy Emmons once said that in his mind Jerry Byrd stood "head and shoulders" above the others. That's because of Jerry's TOTAL mastery of the instrument IMHO.

------------------
My Site - Instruction | Doug's Free Tab | Steels and Accessories

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 10:59 am    

I'll go there....JB IS acknowledged as a GREAT steel player...he CAN play Hawaiian style....but, as a teacher, he has little Aloha...I've taken lessons from a LOT of Hawaiians...and never ONCE was the criticism totally negative to the point of making me want to give up the instrument....JB DID that to me...luckily, I got over it and found a better teacher.
Mike
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 11:03 am    

-

[This message was edited by Ray Montee on 19 November 2002 at 07:34 PM.]

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 1:09 pm    

In the early 50's I listened to Hawaii Calls
faithfully every Sunday nite and had a special arrangement with my parents to do that as it aired at 11:30 p.m. I was only 12 or so at the time and had just started taking Hawaiian guitar lessons. To me Hawaii Calls represented the traditional sound of Hawaiian Guitar.I also started listening to Jerry around the same time and his was a different sound on steel guitar even on the Hawaiian songs like "Drowsy Waters", "I Regret to Say Aloha" etc. Jerry's sound was one of excellence and precision and has remained so
throughtout the years.
His technique is a blessing to whatever style he chooses to play. There is none who can "touch" the man on the instrument in my opinion and I know he is not concerned about his critics.
He is one amazing musician!
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 3:48 pm    

I can't comment on that, but WILL say that there's a pretty big reggae movement in Hawaii lately. Some call it "Jawaiian." Whatever... it AIN'T reggae. Should they stop playing it because it isn't authentic? Nope, not IMHO, anyway.

All I can say about JB is that it's the most amazing playing on the non-pedal steel I've EVER heard. I sure as hell can't get close to doing that. Is it "authentic" Hawaiian? I dunno. I'm not Hawaiian and I've never lived there. But, what I DO know is: it makes me smile.

Is there ANY better reason to make music? Not for this steel hacker.

Long live JB.
TJ
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 4:30 pm    

Whoever said that is full of "POI" and thats
that "sticky stuff".

Byrd Flies like an Eagle over those sparrows.
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 5:43 pm    

James Brown, a student of mine brought me two videos which he wanted me to see. Both featured Jerry, Barney Isaacs, Slack Key artists etc. The tapes were compiled and offered by Mike Ihde.
At the time the tapes were made in Hawaii it states Jerry's age at 80 years. The man's playing is better on these tapes than in his younger years. He has lost nothing. Quite the contrary.Truly unbeleivable!!
Jerry loves Hawaii and Hawaiian music. He plays it the way he feels it and straight from the heart.
Getting back to the original question I think he has extended Hawaiian Steel Guitar music and some just don't understand it perhaps.It's a sound that is not easy to come by when you try to emulate it. I suppose that
can be annoying to some people

------------------
http://www.clictab.com/royt/tabmenu.htm
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 5:51 pm    

There are purists, who consider even the slightest deviation from the original art form, a travesty and proclaim it to be tainted.

This occurs in all facets of art. It's a natural progression to extend the limits, if there are, at all, limits. The same thing can be said of country music, right?

The bottom line of all this is,....Does it really matter?
Warren Slavin

Southampton, PA, 18966. USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 6:38 pm    

Jerry Byrd is a Muscian's Muscian -- He is a master of one of the most complex musical instruments known to man. True, there are Hawaiian Steel Guitarist, past and present, that are great -- some of the greats today were taught by Jerry. I am a great admirer on David Keli'i, Dick McIntire, Jules Ah See and others. In 1972 Jerry emigrated to Hawaii to revive the Hawaiian Steel Guitar. As I hear, he was not happy with the direction of country music and Hawaiian music was truly in his heart. The Steel Guitar was on an downward spiral (the home where it began). And Jerry brought it back -- I'm not saying that if Jerry wasn't there it would have gone into oblivion like the zither and the accordian, but the fact remains that he WAS there and today the steel guitar is robust and healthy in Hawaii. In the early days, 40's, 50's, I did not have the money to collect recordings but one day I came across the Album "Satin Strings of Steel" and the the album "Hawaiian Beach Party". These two albums made me a quick convert and I looked for any JB album I could find -- I only have a few but he does justice to the instrument and Hawaiian Music.

Jeff, I'm sure we would like to hear what your friend, who made the statement, would say after reading all this commentary.

------------------
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 6:48 pm    

Quote:
The bottom line of all this is,....Does it really matter?
Howard,

It matters;___because Jeff apparently didn't try to set the gentleman who made the statements straight.

The two statements are not only bigoted, the last one is untrue.

Rick
Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 6:58 pm    

My two penneth worth has to be a visit to Hawaii in '77 when I used to work for a domestic Australian airline. I got offloaded in Hawaii because there wasn't room on the connecting flight (the price of flying cheap). I was racing to the States to chase pedal steel guitar but I knew about Jerry and so looked him up. He picked me up from the YMCA and took me to a luau and I also saw him at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Apart from seeming a bit gruff (probably a 27 year old's perspective at the time)he was a perfect gentleman. He played beautifully with his Hawaiian friend/musicians (although it didn't mean much to me then).

The thing I remember most though was his deference to the native steel players. I was asking about harmonics and he played down his own ability and instead pointed me in the direction of a native player somewhere else in the Hawaiian islands (wish I remembered who). He was sincere ... I know this for a fact. He loves Hawaii and its people and its music. He may not ever shake his haole origins but he's done a reasonable job on fitting in.

Graham
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 7:28 pm    

Jeff Au Hoy: In another thread on this Forum, I mentioned to Buddy Emmons a quote made by Louis Armstrong when asked by an interviewer "what Jazz was ?" He replied:
If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

And about Jerry Byrd: If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand......

Regards, Paul
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 8:56 pm    

Good Post Paul. Your'e getting better all the
time.

Howard,,you should run for office. The Mens
Room.

"May The Byrd Of Happiness Fly Up Your Nose"

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 05 November 2002 at 08:58 PM.]

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 11:31 pm    

I hear Jerry Byrd and I hear what Jerry wants me to hear. If Jerry doesn't play Hawaiian Music in the true Hawaiian style, I would like for someone to explain why and send me an MP3 or a recording that will enable me to understand the differences.

Jody: I need to talk to you. Send me an email or your Ma Bell number. Thanks...

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 7:13 am    

Can someone please recommend the definitive Jerry Byrd CD?

I have to admit that I've never heard a single lick of his music. But considering all the passion brought out by JB-related Forum threads, I think it's time I did ...