| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bluegrass tunes on C6?
Steve Pierce

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2002 4:56 pm    

Hello All,

I have been playing C6 on my six string Lap Steel for a while and I am about to purchase an acoustic slide guitar with the intention of learning some bluegrass tunes. Would it make more sense to learn these tunes in G tuning, or is it just as easy to learn Bluegrass in a 6th-style tuning?

Sincerely,
Long-time reader, first-time poster

------------------
Steve Pierce
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 12:01 am    

If you're really wanting to learn to play bluegrass, use open G tuning. You'll be able to play using C6 tuning, but it won't fit as you (or others who are familiar with bluegrass) might expect.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 4:48 am    

Ditto to open G for bluegrass. Most of the indigenous bluegrass harmonies and tunes are based on bluesy 7ths, drones, and myxolydian scales. There is just about nothing in the whole bluegrass vocabulary that is based on 6ths. If you play a mixture of bluegrass and old-time country, open D or open E -- as Shot Jackson used on many old recordings -- could be an alternative for ya. Yes, Mike Auldridge plays instrumentals on an eight-string tuned to G6, but they sound more like accoustic swing than hardcore 'grass to me.
R. L. Jones

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 7:05 am    

I play a lot with the "Blue Grass" groups, I always play in G, as GBDGBD, I dont remember how to tune up in "E", I think I know but am too unsure to try it. I am just protective of my instrument I guess.

R. L.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 12:24 pm    

Yep, G is the way to go. Since so many bluegrass tunes are in either G, A, or B, you may want to find a good capo as well. And those three-finger rolls are hard to do in F, although Rob Ickes manages, doesn't he?
Steve Pierce

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 3:32 pm    

Thanks guys.

New tuning here I come!

------------------
Steve Pierce
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 6:52 pm    

Not to mention that the benefit of learning a new tuning is two fold...you'll gather an even better understanding of C6 afterwards...you'll learn patterns that you can compare to the C6th neck.

C6th is just an evolution in tuning...G major (I actually raise it to A), E, C#Minor, etc are all located on C6th, but in a different place. Since it's played on different string combinations, you sometimes can't get the full chords needed like you could in A or E. And with Bluegrass, that sixth gets in the way anyway. G or A is a great tuning to learn...it's popular and widely used...which makes finding instruction material a bit easier, too!

Just my .02 worth!

[This message was edited by Jeff Strouse on 03 November 2002 at 06:54 PM.]