| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How did the HSGA go over weekend?
oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2002 7:58 pm    

Just waiting to hear from fellow non-pedalers who were fortunate enough to attend the HSGA convention over the weekend in Indiana. How did go? How about the musicians who were featured? Any new faces on the scene? Which guitars seem to be the choice of the present-day pickers? Any Sierra 8-stringers on the scene? Many Excel guitars?

I know...a lot of questions. "Maybe next year."

oj hicks
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 5:12 am    

Last weekend's HSGA Joliet convention was awesome. I will be posting close to 100 pictures on the HSGA website www.hsga.org as soon as I edit them. I'll post on the forum when they are available.

The photos will comprise three categories:

1. Vintage instruments (bakelites, tri-cones, arch-tops, Fender/Rick/National consoles etc.)

2. Performers on stage.

3. Attendees.
-------------------------
In brief, there were stellar performances by John Ely (I want to play like him when I grow up), Mike Scott, Bill Leff, Doug Smith, Warren Slavin, Dirk Vogel, Kay Koster, Ian Ufton, Isaac Akuna, Chris Kennison, Frank Della-Penna, Duke Ching, Wade Pence, Kamaka Tom, LT Zinn, Mae Lang, Ron Simpson, Don Woods... more, etc.

Much more early-style steel this year (Sol Hoopii style).

Vendors - Beard Guitars/Dobros (Chet Houge), Harmos Guitars (Sage Harmos), Berkely Guitars (Chris Kennison), Clef'd Ear Productions - Accessories (John Hatton).

The Friday night John Ely seminar lasted 90 minutes and it could of lasted longer. The attendees kept mining John for information and he delivered it in a knowlegable easy going manner.

A more detailed recap will follow in the next week or so.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 08 October 2002 at 06:47 PM.]

oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 6:35 am    

Thanks, Gerald.

And my apologies to the HSGA for "misplacing" the location of the convention. I knew from previous posts on the forum that it was held in Joliet, Ill. But when ya gits ta be 70 and post at near midnight ya do have some senior moments. My apologies again to the HSGA and all you very fortunate folk who got to take in what I'm sure was a great convention.

oj hicks
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 12:21 pm    

I had a really good time on Friday despite the two hour power failure that ended John Ely's set(glad that it came back on in time for John's seminar)Doug Smith pulled me aside and spoke of the influx of new "younger members" to the association which was apparent-that difference from years past when Doug and I were the only "young guys" there will hopefully bring some extended life to the IHSGA
Doug Smith

Medway, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 4:37 pm    

Joliet was a ton of fun as usual. I think this was the first time evening performing slots were scheduled because so many people came ready to play. Another first -the "Tradeshow", featuring John Hatton's display of Oahu guitars and music. There was more dancing than usual, and I hope Gerald got a picture of the "Singing Steel Guitar"(is that right?) I saw it briefly one morning at the back of the stage It was like a vision...
And I haven't even started on the music-it will have to wait because we are heading out for another festival(Museum of Appalachia) and some other dates in Tennessee.
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 5:16 pm    

I did get a picture of the "Century Singing Electric" that was backstage and I will be posting it to the HSGA website. It's basically a 1930's frypan with metal flanges on the side of the body for stability. It was manufactured in Chicago in the 1930's.

------------------
Gerald Ross

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 08 October 2002 at 07:22 PM.]

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 4:30 am    

Quote:
Doug Smith pulled me aside and spoke of the influx of new "younger members" to the association which was apparent-that difference from years past when Doug and I were the only "young guys..."

I'm really happy to hear this! This is CRITICAL to HSG music's survival. I would have loved to have been there, but I had gigs to play Fri-Sat-Sun last weekend (Doh!) Sure hope to make next year's, though.

Does this mean that the prices of vintage steels will rise? Yep... that's the downside. But, the alternative is a dead art form nobody cares about, and I'd rather pay higher prices, if the tradeoff is a revival of this style of music.

One of these days, I'll get me a Ricky bakelite or frypan...

TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, B11, E13); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6); Melobar SLS lapsteel (open D); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open G)
oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 9:57 pm    

Were there many Sierra 8-stringers at Joliet? I would have thought the Hawaiian pickers would "take up with" these guitars.

Gerald, interesting you mentioned L.T. Zinn. I didn't know he played Non-pedal. He is a real solid "peddler." Saw him at the Knoxville convention a few years ago.

oj hicks
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 4:47 am    

I saw one Sierra 8 at the convention, it was owned by Dick Lloyd.

LT Zinn plays a very swinging non-pedal guitar. At Hawaiian conventions he usually plays his vintage double 8 Epiphone console. His style on non-pedal is a pleasing blend of Western Swing, Country and Hawaiian. He is the consummate performer. His performances are a mix of virtuoso musicianship and old-time vaudevillian humor.

I took a beautiful photo of LT and his Epiphone. I will post it on the HSGA website www.hsga.org within the next few weeks.

------------------
Gerald Ross

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 10 October 2002 at 08:33 AM.]

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 7:17 am    

This was my second trip to Joliet (the first being 2000). Once again I had a fabulous time, and learned a lot just by watching and listening to everyone play. A major plus is the ample opportunity for jamming. No "all-nighter jams" this trip for me but I rarely got back to my room before 2:30am. It's a very inclusive group too - all are welcome and encouraged to play.

What more could you ask for?
oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 9:21 am    

Carl Dixon...where are you?

I remember a post from Carl a couple of years or so back after he had attend the Joliet convention. He was very outgoing in his praise for the convention. One thing particularly struck him, in addition to the excellent picking, was that the sound level was not anywhere near the threshold of pain as it is at some of the peddle conventions. No offense, peddlers, I love your music and wish I could play it. But the one I attended was so loud I had to move to the rear of the auditorium.

Carl stated, as I recall, that it was one of the best steel guitar conventions he had eve attended. I don't mean to be putting words in his mouth...but that is my recollection.

oj hicks
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 9:24 am    

Carl was at Joliet 2000 and did have some great things to say about it. I haven't seen much from him since then though.

Maybe J.D. is reading this and can give us an update.
oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 9:37 am    

I'm curious about how many of the "top guns" still lay the steel on their lap, and how many put it on legs. And if on legs, do they sit and pick, or stand and pick?

I know Kayton Roberts always seems to be sitting when I have seen him on television.

oj hicks
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 11:19 am    

Mahalo nui times ten to the sound crew at Joliet.

Doug Smith, Barb Kuhns and Floyd Alexander go above and beyond to provide an enjoyable sonic experience at the HSGA convention.

Many people in addition to Carl Dixon have commented positively on the quality and "transparency" of the sound this crew achieves.

------------------
Gerald Ross

John Tipka

Reynoldsburg,OH
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 10:50 am    

OJ,

Hawaiian style players stand when they play console type guitars (those with legs).
Single neck Frypans, Bakelites, Sierras, Supros, Fender Deluxes are all played on the lap. Lorene Ruymar is fortunate enough to have a three legged cast aluminum and chrome legged stand made specially for the Shot Jackson Frypan that she plays, and of course, she plays it standing up..

The unwritten rule for Hawaiian style steel guitar played on a console type - stand behind it and play it!!!!!

Lap style - play it on the thighs or lap...

John
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 11:07 am    

This was my second year also. Went in 2000. I will go back every year I can. A very magical place and time. So much to learn from everyone. The best part is that everyone is willing to share what they know and do. No egos here. Lots of experience in one place - it's quite amazing.

Most evenings I was up till 2:30am or 3am listening, jamming and talking.

For the 'stand up' or 'sit down question. John's got the answer. Matter of fact someone told me (perhaps Kamaka Tom) that many venues in Hawaii make it a rule that you stand up. No lap steels allowed at some hotels! Standing is a good thing in many regards - I had a voice teacher tell me once that when you stand and perform you command the audience more. I think you give off more of a professional appearance when you stand. So - another opinion. But for most music I think it's a good practice. (ignore symphony, pit bands, classical guitar etc., and of course limitations of the instrument like a lap steel). Just depends.

btw, anyone know what tuning John Ely used for Panhandle Rag?? John?

aloha,
Christohper 'Berkley' Kennison

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"We can't afford to let Nature run wild" - govt. offical - Alaska
www.seldomfed.com

Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 11:29 am    

The convention was great, it was my 2nd. My only regret is that I didn't spend more time listening to the music, or jamming afterwards. Next year, I'll correct that- I'll pull together enough tunes to play on stage for a little while, and abandon my booth more often so I can listen to others.
This is a magnificent music- it is important to perserve it in it's original style. Fortunately there are folks who are keeping it going in that way. As to my playing, the Hawaiian style is so different from the sacred steel that I've been working on that it requires some major adjustment. Sometimes I find myself throwing one style into the other. Consequently, I'll probably never master the original form. It could throw an interesting twist into an old march though! (Great job on that march, Bill L.)
Everyone at the HSGA is friendly and inviting, I look forward to returning.
Mahalo-
T. Sage Harmos
Harmos Steel Guitars http://www.harmosmusic.com
oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 10:37 pm    

Maybe it is sign of my age, but I am fond of the slow, melodic, and melancholy moods of the Hawaiian music. I'm sure that is influenced by my fondness for the Jerry Byrd style of playing...and Dick McIntire's slow ones. Was much of that in evidence at Joliet?

Don't misunderstand, I like virtually any kind in the Hawaiian repertoire...including the fast choppy tunes. But my first love is the romantic music on the Hawaiian strings .
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2002 11:37 pm    

Has there been a date set yet for next years HSGA convention ?
John Tipka

Reynoldsburg,OH
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2002 5:52 am    

Yes,

OCTOBER 2, 3 AND 4, 2003

Doug Smith

Medway, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 5:34 am    

I had to chuckle at oj's concern about a possible decline in interest in sweet("nahenahe") hawaiian guitar stylings at Joliet. You have nothing to fear-I think every player there played smooth, flowing sweet music-and changed the pace with a march or two now and then.

Thanks for all the nice words about the sound at Joliet. We don't get paid to do it and those compliments, along with all that great music, are reward enough for Barb, Floyd, and me.

You might be interested to know that we offered to do the sound at Joilet quite a few years ago-back in 1991. We were blown away by the quality of the music and the truly miserable sound system. It wasn't really a sound system at all-a few guitar amps and a couple of high impedance mikes. We offered to bring our own sound system(we have a five piece dance band at home) and run it to make it possible for the music to be heard at a balanced and comfortable level. Our system is very unsophisticated-we use reasonably good mikes and run them through a board, and use hot spots for the monitor. This works because the hall is relatively small, the audience is attentive, and we keep the volume relatively low. And we work at keeping the balance right from group to group.
We mike each amp and ask the performers to play at a comfortable level for themselves, and we take care of the rest. Most of the time it's a lot of fun, and we get to hear a lot of great music!

[This message was edited by Doug Smith on 14 October 2002 at 06:38 AM.]

[This message was edited by Doug Smith on 14 October 2002 at 06:42 AM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 11:51 am    

OJ Hicks: Once again I have been reminded of the first time I saw L T Zinn. He was working with the 101 Ranch Boys out of York, PA at a small town carnival in the village of Bernville, PA. The year was '46 or maybe 47 and I was 14. I have never forgotten it....

Regards, Paul
oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 5:32 pm    

L. T. Zinn
Paul...he is some kind of musician. He plays a great rythm guitar. In Knoxville he was playing a big Guild archtop. I purchased a couple of his taped albums...he also plays some great Hawaiian music on his MSA pedal steel. It has been my experience that not many pedalers play Hawaiian music...but then "don't get around much anymore." Did he play any back-up for the non-pedalers in Joliet?

When we spoke with L.T. in Knoxville he was living somewhere in Michigan.

oj hicks

[This message was edited by oj hicks on 14 October 2002 at 06:34 PM.]

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 4:54 am    

LT played backup for many of the steelers at the HSGA convention. He knows his chords and knows how and when to use them.

LT plays a vintage Guild Artist Award Deluxe blonde arch-top guitar with a custom "LT Zinn" mother of pearl inlay on the headstock. I have a photo of the guitar which will be posted on the HSGA website.

------------------
Gerald Ross

oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 6:19 am    

Gerald...that's the axe he had in Knoxville. And, WOW, could he ever play the chords. The only rythm guitarist I ever personally saw who was his equal was Homer, with Homer and Jethro...back when they were playing in Knoxville on the Tennessee Barn Dance and Mid Day Merrygoround--WNOX.

I was also wondering if L. T. played an ukelele. I would assume there many of those in evidence at Joliet. He would be a natural also on the uke.

oj hicks