| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 Speaker Recommendation?
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2024 5:56 pm    

I had the PF speaker in there but too darn heavy. I have a blue Marvel now (not OEM) but thinking one of the older 12" BW speakers might be a good in between solution?

What was the model of the old 12" BW that a lot of people liked? I had 2 of the PV cabs with them but I sold them.

thx

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2024 6:08 pm    

Looks like I need PV 1203-4 if anyone has one?

Not the cab, just the speaker
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 3:42 pm    

I put a TT12 in mine. A massive improvement over the stock Peavey speaker, which I heard is a Blue Marvel.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 4:42 pm    

I have TT-12 speaker for sale. Played thru maybe 6 times. I'm retiring from playing anymore.
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 5:14 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I put a TT12 in mine. A massive improvement over the stock Peavey speaker, which I heard is a Blue Marvel.

How would you describe the difference. This amp is really sensitive on the tone controls. The mid shift just a smidge makes too much difference. I'm used to my original Session 400 with spider logo BW so maybe I'm expecting too much?

thx

bob
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 5:15 pm    

David Decker wrote:
I have TT-12 speaker for sale. Played thru maybe 6 times. I'm retiring from playing anymore.

pm sent
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 5:54 pm    

Some observations Bob. Don't mean to confuse or throw a monkey wrench into your plans but I think you should be aware of some information concerning the 1203-4 speakers...

Firstly, they are not featherweight. Weight is app. 16#. I don't know how that compares to the PF speaker you had.

Also, the 1203 speaker that you show in your photo is in a 90s era Nashville 112E cabinet configured for steel guitar. They were also used in earlier 80s models of some guitar amps. These speakers have been out of production for years now. No chance of finding a new one unless someone has a NOS or perhaps a used one.

Here's the rub. Not all 1203 speakers are equal. The ones in your pic had a paper cone with no Kevlar and were designed for musical instruments namely steel guitar.

Later models were sound reinforcement speakers for FOH, monitor etc.

Anything past the 1203 Super models are not steel guitar speakers. This is not to say they won't work just that they may not meet your expectations.

Unfortunately, I don't know any real way to tell the difference among the different eras except that the most recent models with the redesigned baskets are definitely designed for sound reinforcement.

You might shop around on ebay and reverb.com if you don't have any success here. Just be aware of the difference in models.

I have used these for years and I think, like you, they are great sounding speakers. I have a couple in use but they are not for sale. OTOH, I have one of the early era 1203 8 ohm drivers that I can part with if you are interested.

I am not up to snuff on any of the new neo speakers so I don't know how or if they would compare to the old BWs.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 6:42 pm    

Bob Snelgrove wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:

How would you describe the difference. This amp is really sensitive on the tone controls. The mid shift just a smidge makes too much difference. I'm used to my original Session 400 with spider logo BW so maybe I'm expecting too much?

thx

bob

It sounds tighter and clearer. Midrange is easier to tame. I will say that if I had the money, I would be searching the world over for a JBL D120 or a K120.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 7:43 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Some observations Bob. Don't mean to confuse or throw a monkey wrench into your plans but I think you should be aware of some information concerning the 1203-4 speakers...

Firstly, they are not featherweight. Weight is app. 16#. I don't know how that compares to the PF speaker you had.

Also, the 1203 speaker that you show in your photo is in a 90s era Nashville 112E cabinet configured for steel guitar. They were also used in earlier 80s models of some guitar amps. These speakers have been out of production for years now. No chance of finding a new one unless someone has a NOS or perhaps a used one.

Here's the rub. Not all 1203 speakers are equal. The ones in your pic had a paper cone with no Kevlar and were designed for musical instruments namely steel guitar.

Later models were sound reinforcement speakers for FOH, monitor etc.

Anything past the 1203 Super models are not steel guitar speakers. This is not to say they won't work just that they may not meet your expectations.

Unfortunately, I don't know any real way to tell the difference among the different eras except that the most recent models with the redesigned baskets are definitely designed for sound reinforcement.

You might shop around on ebay and reverb.com if you don't have any success here. Just be aware of the difference in models.

I have used these for years and I think, like you, they are great sounding speakers. I have a couple in use but they are not for sale. OTOH, I have one of the early era 1203 8 ohm drivers that I can part with if you are interested.

I am not up to snuff on any of the new neo speakers so I don't know how or if they would compare to the old BWs.

Thanks, Jerry

Good stuff to know there. It might be more the amp than the speaker, those Sessions were very easy to dial in and I kinda forgot the BW's could be heavy too. I never really played through the PF speaker because the N 112 was pretty heavy and my back not so good anymore.

The Blue Marvel that I put in there was from Ebay and I never got to hear the amp with the speaker it was designed around, apparently all Blue Marvels are not created equal.

bob