| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The V8 wins again !
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2024 7:51 am    

I got myself an opus one modeling amp and used it on some gigs and spent some time diving into tweaking the presets. I got some fabulous sounds but could never get to feel right or respond to my picking in a satisfying way. I worked with guitar players that regularly use modeling stuff and all that.
I seriously wanted to like it because it would make things easy.
So after all that I took the sim out of my chain and plugged in my Sarno V8 and it immediately ate the lunch of the thousands of digital options. I was cracking up at how simple and perfect it is with absolutely no options. I could get every tone I wanted with my fingers.
I also use “the amp 100” from milkman. It’s awesome too. Anyway , I’ll keep an eye out for the sim stuff as it gets better and if I’m in a situation where it’s necessary I’ll get back to it. The modeling amps are amazing tools but just aren’t as much fun to play through. I might be getting some sort of load box with cab sims in the future but that is another story.

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2024 7:37 am    

Yes sireee Bob….the V8 Octal is a fine preamp…tweak it to your liking and it’s hard to beat. I run mine to the power amp of my 2003 NV 112.
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2024 8:39 am    

What are the requirements of a power amp for the V8 to plug into? For example, can you plug the V8 into a Quilter Toneblock 201 amp?

That is, does it cause any problems using a V8 preamp going into an amp that already has an integrated pre-amp?

Edit: I did find these comments regarding the V8 and the Toneblock 202.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=390119

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2024 3:43 pm    

The V8 and a Jay Ganz Straight Ahead power amp is a killer combination.
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2024 4:07 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
What are the requirements of a power amp for the V8 to plug into? For example, can you plug the V8 into a Quilter Toneblock 201 amp?

That is, does it cause any problems using a V8 preamp going into an amp that already has an integrated pre-amp?

Edit: I did find these comments regarding the V8 and the Toneblock 202.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=390119

I used a V8 going straight into a ToneBlock 200 and it worked fine

Dave
Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2024 8:07 am    

For going ampless I’ve been using a V8 into the Universal Audio OX Stomp. The OX Stomp does the speaker modeling and some other effects, but I still get all the tubey sweetness from the V8.
Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2024 11:12 am    

I haven't tried any modeling amps yet, but It makes me wonder if on pedal steel, because of the use of the volume pedal, modeling anos are not designed respond to the attack/decay or lack of decay that is so different from how most electric guitars signals come in.

gordon
Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2024 3:21 am    

Hey! Let's not leave out the Rev! The Sarno Revelation Tube Preamp has been my "Go-To," pre especially for recording. I just have not found any sound that is as wholesome and satisfying for PSG.

Believe me, I have spent waaaaay too much time diving into and tweaking settings on what can be considered very good digital equipment. To me, at least, it seems I can find a sound that would work... but then, after some time living with the sound, it seems my perception of the sound changes, or I get used to it, or it seems something changes and that particular "holy grail" sound that I have found loses whatever it had. I dunno how to exactly describe it.

However, the fat sound, the harmonic complexity, the warmth and the overall appeal of what I hear from the Rev keeps on coming through.

THANK YOU, Brad!
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2024 11:36 pm    

Gordon Hartin wrote:
I haven't tried any modeling amps yet, but It makes me wonder if on pedal steel, because of the use of the volume pedal, modeling anos are not designed respond to the attack/decay or lack of decay that is so different from how most electric guitars signals come in.

gordon

I've been talking with working guitar players who use modeling gear and they don't really like it either. Some are switching back to amps. I mean they like the modeling gear because it works for the gig and various other conveniences and the multitude of options. Think about being a piano player and having the world of sounds and samples at your fingertips or playing a Steinway grand. There really is a place for both.