| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1994 The Professional I
James R Foster

Long Beach, CA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 3:18 pm    

1994 The Professional I.

Please tell me about this guitar. Is this a good or bad year? How would it compare to a '73 LDG? What's better? etc?

thanks so much, in advance!
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 3:42 pm    

I don't think the Professional was being produced in 1994. Sho-Bud basically went out of business in the late 70's or early 80's. If someone is selling a 94 Professional, it is either someone who doesn't know what he is talking about, or a scam.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 16 Sep 2024 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 3:43 pm    

Sure you don't mean 1974?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 3:48 pm    

Skip Edwards wrote:
Sure you don't mean 1974?

That's more like it.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 3:52 pm    

1974 isn’t correct either.

LA,CA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 4:00 pm    

True... '73 would have been the latest.
Then again, you know how Sho-Bud was...
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 4:26 pm    

Gene Haugh provided serial numbers into the 90's. Perhaps it is a Pro I made by that last outfit before it totally went away? The name of the company escapes me, but I remember seeing advertisements for Sho~Bud guitars as "order only.". That would have been after 1996 when I first got a computer. I'm to lazy to do a search, so maybe Ricky D might chime in.

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 4:35 pm    

Yes "Gretsch" bought Sho~bud and built some through the 80's to 1990...not sure if it lasted after that. Parts were SuperPro.
The poster didn't put up any pics of what he's talking about; therefore there's NO MORE INFO> unless he can picture what he's asking questions about.
Ricky
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 5:05 pm    

Well, I wish I could remember who was offering them into the '90's. I was really surprised to see the ads. I do recall that I lost interest when I found out the company had their own brand as well, and offering Sho~Bud guitars as well. Maybe I'll search it later. I do know it wasn't Gretsch.

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 6:07 pm    

Rayline
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 6:24 pm    

Doug Earnest wrote:
Rayline

Bingo!

Long Beach, CA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 7:30 pm    

Kenny Davis wrote:
Gene Haugh provided serial numbers into the 90's. Perhaps it is a Pro I made by that last outfit before it totally went away? The name of the company escapes me, but I remember seeing advertisements for Sho~Bud guitars as "order only.". That would have been after 1996 when I first got a computer. I'm to lazy to do a search, so maybe Ricky D might chime in.

Yes, that's it. "The Pro I" Sorry, I was going off memory. Ser # 18686

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 8:09 pm    

Yep, according to the list it's the last one built in 1994. I've got one built in October of 1981 and I love it! Purchased from Damir, here on the Forum!

LA,CA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2024 5:37 pm    

If it’s a choice between that Pro I and a 73 LDG, I’d go with the LDG hands down.
JMHO…
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2024 6:16 pm    

Skip beat me to a reply...I looked here earlier and noticed that nobody has actually answered your question!

I own three Sho~Bud guitars. My forever '73 Pro II, a '74 model 6139 (single 10), and my '81 Pro I. Of course, I'm partial to the Pro II. It came with 1/1 changer and brass collars, but it got converted long ago at Music City Mfg. to the nylon tuners. As I have got older I have moved to single neck guitars when I play out. The Pro I was the first, and it did take awhile to get used to the one neck. After experimenting with amp settings, I have it sounding as good as the Pro II. I do enjoy the 3/2 changer as it gives me more flexibility with my setup. My '74 is the guitar that James Morehead and Ricky Davis turned into a "prototype" and features bearings on all cross shafts and needle bearings on the changer axle. I call it a "hybrid" because it also has the 1/1 changer with period correct bell cranks and brass collars. It plays like a dream and sounds good with a Wallace TruTone.

What's better? If you want to get that good Sho~Bud tone vibe and have something comfortable to play - You might want the early LDG like Ricky's. I enjoy playing my Pro I a lot, especially after getting it dialed-in and getting used to not having a back neck.

I don't see whether you already have the Pro I, or trying to make a decision between it and an LDG. If you look around here, you'll see the subject of what's best of "this or that" is all over the place. Read and ask questions and make your own mind up, and it will be the right decision!

LA,CA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2024 7:29 pm    

James, I don't know if you're a new player or not, but in my humble opinion having a pad (or a back neck) to support your forearms is a plus. The support that a pad can give you will make it easier to develop your right hand technique.
Again, JMHO...