| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Logic Pro X
Joe Bill Moad

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 10:14 am    

Does anyone use the Logic Pro recording software now a days? I have it on my MacBook Pro and find it very confusing and difficult to produce recordings. I am by no means a sound engineer. Please let me know.

Respectfully

Jbm
Magnum D-10 Pro Select , Hudson S-6 Pedal Steel, Fender 1965 Vintage Blackface Bassman Head, Fender 70’s Whiteface Head, Fender 1965 Vintage Bandmaster (1), Fender Tweed 1959 Kit Amp-2 -12” mojos, Twin Reverb Tonemaster, Peavey Mark 3 Bassman Head, Peavey Combo Bassman 300 Amp, Vintage 1947 Hammond B-3 Organ, Vintage Fender Cab with 2 -15” JBL’s, 2 vintage Fender cabs w- mojo 12” speakers, Fender Strats (3), Fender Tele’s (2), Gibson Les Paul Standard, Gibson Les Paul Jr, Allen Heath 13 channel board (2).
Charlie F. Brown

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 10:23 am    

Hi Joe,

I have a few DAWs I go between. Logic is one of them, but I don’t use it as often. Happy to help if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Sierra SCM-14SE
Gibson L12
Henriksen Bud
Victoria Ivy League
Joe Bill Moad

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 11:57 am     Whew!

Charlie

I thought I was the only culprit that bought this selection of recording Software? It worries me that you don’t use it as much maybe as others? Is there something out there better in quality or maybe more user friendly? Logic has so many engineering decisions (I thought) that it leaves me behind. I wanted an old analog recording system but Digital is where we are at.

Thanks

Jbm
Magnum D-10 Pro Select , Hudson S-6 Pedal Steel, Fender 1965 Vintage Blackface Bassman Head, Fender 70’s Whiteface Head, Fender 1965 Vintage Bandmaster (1), Fender Tweed 1959 Kit Amp-2 -12” mojos, Twin Reverb Tonemaster, Peavey Mark 3 Bassman Head, Peavey Combo Bassman 300 Amp, Vintage 1947 Hammond B-3 Organ, Vintage Fender Cab with 2 -15” JBL’s, 2 vintage Fender cabs w- mojo 12” speakers, Fender Strats (3), Fender Tele’s (2), Gibson Les Paul Standard, Gibson Les Paul Jr, Allen Heath 13 channel board (2).
Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 12:30 pm    

I am most comfortable with Logic! It does everything my simple brain needs. And I paid for it I don’t know how many years ago and it keeps on updating.

I feel no need for anything else!
Charlie F. Brown

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 12:33 pm    

Joe,

Mostly I have been using one called Luna by a company called Universal Audio. See the thread here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=402302

They have free and paid features and it is more closely in line with analog equipment. I have one of their interfaces and this enables a lot of features. That said, I’m not familiar with the free option.

All of this said… what kinds of things are you recording? How many tracks? Are you wanting to use effects? Are you using an interface? What kind of computer are you using? Etc…. Maybe we can hone in on the setup that’s best for what you’re going for!

Thanks,

Sierra SCM-14SE
Gibson L12
Henriksen Bud
Victoria Ivy League
Phillip Hermans

Berkeley, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 12:39 pm    

I use Logic Pro quite a bit, it is the devil I know, so that is the main reason I stick with it.

In general I would say that Logic Pro is great for home studio songwriter's and composers. It has some great plugins and synths that come with it and you can do pretty much everything you want without having to buy any extras.

I say this in contrast to Pro Tools, which I think is great for tracking bands, mixing and mastering. If you wanted to compose with MIDI or fill out a bedroom studio recording, you would probably need some additional plugins...

There are also many other options these days depending on what you want to do. I hear lots of good things about Reaper but I haven't used it much.
Joe Bill Moad

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2024 12:34 pm     Charlie to answer your question. Sorry it has been this long

Charlie

I use all Apple equipment. MacBook Pro, with the Logix downloaded on it. I have an Allan Heath 13 channel board, a Focusrite (Red). Mike sold me these items except the laptop explaining these would get me off and running. I can mic my guitars, B3 Hammond Organ, snare drum set, fiddle, Hudson Steel, through the system above (one at a time) laying down tracks for a project which is real confusing for a beginner trying to accomplish this feat! I have all but given up but still don’t understand all the functions on the logic program to make a quality recording. Mike told me at the time that this was the way to go. There is just not much engineer on me I guess? I thought I could walk and talk with this recording setup but not happening, I hate to fail at anything.

Respectfully

Joe Bill Moad
Phillip Hermans

Berkeley, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2024 12:44 pm    

Joe, that setup sounds sufficient. Logic Pro is perfectly capable of tracking those instruments and allowing you to mix/master.

Here is a useful forum specific to Logic Pro: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/

There are numerous Youtube tutorials for getting started with Logic Pro...

I also came across this LinkedIn Learning class: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/logic-pro-essential-training

LinkedIn Learning requires a subscription, but you may be able to get free access through your local library. I know many libraries offer LinkedIn Learning access with a library card.

It must be overwhelming to see all of the different menus at first, but with a bit of effort you should be tracking and mixing just fine.
Joe Bill Moad

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2024 2:39 pm     Thanks Phillip!

Appreciate the help.

Respectfully

Joe Bill Moad
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2024 10:48 am     Logic Pro Video Tutorial Series

Joe Bill Moad,

What version of Logic Pro are you using? Groove3.com has two Logic Pro video tutorial series that will get you on your feet with setting up and using Logic Pro depending on the version you use. There is a series for version 10.5 and higher and an older series for 10.4 and lower.

Each video in each series is short and all are well documented so they also make a good reference resource down the road. Check out the links, look at the outlines and the sample videos to see if you might find the course helpful.

Here's the link for Logic Pro version 10.5 and higher: https://www.groove3.com/products/Logic-Pro-Explained#productContents

Here's the link for Logic Pro version 10.4 and lower: https://www.groove3.com/products/Logic-Pro-X-Explained

There are also video tutorials that describe new features in versions 10.7, 10.8 and 11 but I did not include links for them since they are about new DAW features and nor so much about how to use the DAW.

Testimonial:
I purchased and downloaded Groove3.com video tutorials for Band-in-a-Box, Cakewalk by Bandlab and an obsolete DAW. I like having the files available for viewing on my smartphone or tablet while I'm using Band-in-a-Box or Cakewalk by Bandlab. That way if I need a refresher I can view the necessary video while I'm using the program. I also like the way the tutorials are professionally prepared and presented. There is no wasted time.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW
Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2024 12:50 pm    

I’ve been a ProTools user for decades, also have Studio One, and older versions of Cubase. and Reaper. I’ve had Logic on my Macs since 9 but have been reluctant to learn it, as I was comfortable with PT.

However, with ProTools getting weirder all the time, Studio One’s future looking kind of shakey after being bought out by Fender a few months ago, etc, I forced myself to learn it. After my initial fears, it’s pretty intuitive, really, and has a lot of very handy features.

Give it a shot

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX
Joe Bill Moad

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2024 2:15 pm    

Yes Sir I have the older version. Mine will not update because of my MacBook Pro 2015 model. However I have not came close to mastering the older version anyway. I appreciate all the help on here and the links that I find very helpful.

Thanks Again

JBM