| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The pot metal bug finally bit me
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 5:21 am    

Well, after ten+ years of playing an '81 Super Pro as my main steel without incident, I had my recently refurbished '82 Super Pro out on its second gig yesterday. Middle of the first set, I couldn't figure out why my E-F change wouldn't stay in tune. Went to test it with the tuner in the middle of a song and, *clank,* down went the lever to the stage floor.

Made through another set and a half without that lever, but it was revealing how much more I use it than I realized!

Before the second set, I had already contacted Barry Coker and ordered a new set of lever brackets for this steel. And if I were really smart, I would have ordered a set for my '81 SP. I need to check how many Michael Yahl ones are already on that steel.

Not to be deterred (or, perhaps, unwilling to learn my lesson), I popped in a replacement pot-metal bracket last night, and will head back out for another gig today.

Parts falling off mid-song notwithstanding, I'm really liking this '82 SP; plays and sounds great.

Last edited by Dan Beller-McKenna on 15 Sep 2024 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 6:35 am    

Ugh! Glad you had a spare hub to get you going.

I'm taking my chances, I guess, with my Fender Artist Dual Pro which has the same mechanics as SB. Gotta go play a big pic-a-nic this coming wkend so we'll see.

I've read that several players have played guitars with these pot metal parts for years without any issues, so I'm counting on that too.

My friend has a Carter I could play but I wanted to debut this Fender and see how it does in a band situation.
Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 7:00 am     steel guitar parts

Barry is definitely the person to see for those. He does a fantastic job.
Thanks
wayne
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 7:14 am    

Well I checked my '81 and discovered one reason this never happened on that Super Pro: I put in all new Michael Yahl brackets when I got the guitar. I vaguely remember doing this in 2013 when I acquired the steel and did a complete re-rod.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 7:27 am    

The Pot Metal Bug hit me when I was in the studio control room. I was in discussion and playing phrases for the client and engineer when all of a sudden the E Lower lever fell to the ground ! HOLY CRXXP Batman ! So there it was . the pull system and the lever. Uhmmm... Now what ,as I am in the middle of a session.

The engineer looked at me and asks, is that something you need ? I of course managed to say, "well its an option but not necessarily needed".

So the rest of the session I modified my playing and phrases around NOT having an E Lower lever.

I loved that little S10 Sho Bud , I ordered parts from Michael Yale and fixed it.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 7:32 am    

Wow, Tony. I think if it had been my E lower instead of my E raise yesterday. I would’ve simply burst into tears.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 2:51 am    

I played a Super-Pro for 25 years. I remember one night at a gig hitting my E-Eb knee lever and not understanding why nothing happened. I looked down to discover linkage and rods hanging all in a jumble. “WTH!!” was my reaction. Come to find out the KL bracket had broken.

Back then I didn’t know who to calll or where to get a replacement part. Heck, I was just a lone steel player in rural Indiana who didn’t know other players or what to do or where to go. Of course, there as no “online” or “internet” back then but I figured there might be someone in Nashville TN who could help. Somehow I got Bobbe Seymour’s shop” number, called and talked to the man himself. He was familiar with the “pot metal “ problem and even had milled aluminum replacement brackets and bellcranks on hand! So, I ordered a couple of each and in short order I was back playing the Bud again.

Came in handy when I broke a pot metal bell crank a year later.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 4:22 am    

Well, I made it through my set yesterday without incident. But I pushed those levers a little more lightly, and I cringed every time I hit the LKL!

It's going to be a chore to replace these brackets; I'll have to pull all the rods on the C6 neck. But well worth it not to have to worry about it. If I can find someone up for doing the rivets, I might just order a new set of aluminum key heads from Barry Coker. Heck by the time I'm done, I might have to call this steel a "Sho-Barry"!
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 10:33 am    

Steel guitar are not the only precision machines Pot Metal has been used in to cut cost in production.
Working in machine shops and repair shops many of our jobs was making and replacing broken Pot Metal parts. They had used cheap cast Pot Metal parts, To cut machining costs in production.