| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  In Color - Jamey Johnson
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 10:50 am    

Has anyone figured out the solo steel part at the end of "In Color" by Jamey Johnson. It starts around 4:33.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUJ9rJHBD64
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 2:25 pm    

Thats a nice outro Richard. I thought I would give it a shot. The third lick where it goes to the 5 chord was a bit tricky to get because of the droning top note and the lower note descending but I got it on my guitar by picking the second string and let it ring while picking the 5th string with C pedal down, lift the C pedal and lower the 5th string a half tone. I have the LKV which lowers 5 a half on my guitar. I couldn't really find another way to achieve this lick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE13QBsuBMg&feature=youtu.be
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2015 10:07 am    

The recording I have of In Color fades out into acoustic and electric piano, then just acoustic.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2015 10:14 am    

There are different recorded versions around. I'll have to look at the video again. This video is not the official video. It's probable that it had a steel player (maybe the one who posted this) add the outro to the video. I never looked to see if it was a video made by someone else. But the band I was going to fill in for, asked if I knew the ending steel guitar part, and sent me the link to this video. It happened so seamlessly, that I never suspected it was the original recording.

I was hoping someone would post the tab in time for me to look at it and take a copy with me to the gig. It didn't come in time (no fault to anyone, as it was a pretty tall request) for me to print it out and take it to the gig. This was my final gig before I retired from playing. But I will still learn this just for the sake of learning it. Thanks Quentin.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Barrett Williams

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2015 9:05 pm    

Cowboy played a BMI Universal on that outro (I own the guitar used on that outro). I would contact him on Facebook. Robby Turner played the rest of the song, however. Hope this helps some.

New Braunfels, TX
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2020 6:19 pm    

Did anyone put any tab together for this song?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2024 6:50 am    

I'll bump this up to ask again if anyone has tabbed out just the outro or define what that last chord lick is.

I'm tasked with doing this outro next week. I can probably figure it out but I'm strapped for time. If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it.

Did you find it Richard?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2024 4:22 pm    

Anybody? Where's Jeff Garden. I bet he can do it for me. Winking