| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Height?
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2024 10:24 pm    

I find myself sometimes not hitting the bottom when I depress my A pedal, ending in a flat note. the only thing that's changed is my age! I was thinking maybe I need to raise my pedals a smidge. What is the measurement on your A pedal, floor to top of pedal?
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2024 1:02 pm    

Pedal height is mostly a personal preference.
From the floor to the point of contact with my foot is ~1.75 inches.
The easiest way to see if you need an adjustment to is try a few positions (without locking one in) and then when it feels right, lock it in. Everyone's mileage will vary......
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Eventide, Pigtronix.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2024 3:36 pm    

The important thing is that adjacent pedals bottom out together. This may mean that the resting heights vary and look untidy.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2024 8:30 pm    

I am guessing you play Emmons Setup. A pedal on left. With the A pedal sitting that far left. Some players raise the A pedal higher than B (2nd pedal). That Setup allows your foot to be angled slightly. Hard to put your foot level on pedals A & B at that angle and shove them straight down. With your Left knee between the Left Knee Levers, And you can't move your knee and foot for perfect straight down pressure.
Especially if your ankle joint has been hurt at some time.

Many of us Day Setup players, Pedals C-B-A. Raise our C pedal higher than the B pedal, So when we combine C & B pedal, Both pedals hit the pedal stops together for well tuned notes.

Good Luck Happy Steelin.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 12:19 am    

I should have declared that I play Day.
Bobby explains it very well, as usual.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 3:54 am    

'Day' here, and I have raised my #1 (C) pedal quite markedly.

And yet: it's still an anxious moment, going from covering my B and A to raising C and B, There's a momentary loss-of-fluidity that can dissuade me from using that combo.

I can't avoid it, of course - C and B, along with the 9th string, then releasing the pedals and lowering 9 (and, perhaps, engaging the B pedal) is a magic combination.

If I had a function for a #1 (zero pedal) to the left of my C pedal, perhaps that would solve it (my foot would feel more centered), but I can't imagine what I could do with that zero pedal. My P4 raises the 6th a tone, but that has to be adjacent to my A (3rd).

What do you 'Emmons' guys have on your P4 (on E9, of course)? Anything?
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 5:40 am    

With the 4th string E>F# change on LKV, I find very little use for the C pedal. Haven't come up with another change for it, though.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 3:41 pm    

I don't use the C pedal much. It was important in the pull-release era as the means of lowering 3 and 6, but since the advent of multiple changes it's a bit redundant. Still useful if you want to raise 5 but not 10
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2024 7:32 pm    

I like my A and B pedals to bottom out at about the same angle that my left leg is angled or maybe a little less. So the stopping point for the A pedal (Emmons setup) is slightly higher than the B pedal.

On the C pedal subject.. If you play strings 4 and 6, using B&C pedals together and also the F lever by itself and go up the neck diatonically… you get the same harmonies you get when you play strings 8 & 5 with A pedal and F/Eb levers, just up an inversion. I didn’t see that for a long time. There are lots of early E9 sounds with that combination.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 8:20 pm    

I use the B-C pedal combo quite a bit. Mr. Green uses the C pedal a lot, I have not found a lot of his uses.

Playing in a house band most of the summer, Filling in for a friend with right hand problems, I got a lot of songs thrown at me, They named song and key on stage.
I play 3 songs, Some Day Soon and Unchained Melody, Also a fiddling friend throws in Ashakon Farewell.
These songs keep my ears and Left foot trained to finding a 6th minor chord and notes at 5th chord position with the B-C pedal combo.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 10:32 pm    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
These songs keep my ears and Left foot trained to finding a 6th minor chord and notes at 5th chord position with the B-C pedal combo.

There’s a great sounding 4 chord in that position with B and C pedals. Strings 6, 4, and 2 (lowered a half step). If you can get it tune… it sounds really cool pedaling into B&C, or split the pedals either way and it’s all diatonic notes.