| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  passing chords
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2010 4:41 am    

I am learning Commander Cody's Wine do Yer Stuff and the steel player is playing lots of passing chords. Is there a book or video out there somewhere that could show how these background lines are typically played. I like the way the steel part is always moving instead of just staying on whatever chord is being played by the rythm section. sounds to me like diminished chords or maybe dom 7th chords. I can transcribe a lot of it on guitar but am unsure how they are played on steel. Im hoping someone could point me in the right direction to begin incorporating this kind of thing into my own playing. If someone could take a listen to the tune that would be especially helpful. I plan to work on this tune tonite in preparation for thursday's band rehearsal.

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2010 9:32 am    

A diminished chord or even a regular 7th chord will add "suspense" to a song. It will pull you into what's coming up next.
Both of these chords can be accomplished with the knee lever that raises the 4th string for E to F.
The diminished chord is repeated every 3 frets so you have a lot of options.
If you are using the A & F combination, to get a 7th just ease up on the A pedal and hold the F knee.
If you are playing an open chord, slide up 3 frets and engage the F lever.
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2010 9:56 am    

Karen,,sometimes people have different meanings for "passing" chords. I hear what you are asking as being "instead of holding in a chord, how can I color it up?" This is an example of how to stay in, say, D for 2 or 3 or ?? measures, "passing" from one inversion to another. Strings 5 and 8 on 3rd fret w/ D lever, press A pedal, let off D lever, slide up to 5th fret, maybe up to 8th fret (no pedals) w/ D lever, then to 10th fret no pedals or levers, then maybe press and release the A pedal. These would all be scale tones "passing" from one inversion to another,,,and could be identified as parts of any number of altered chords but they would all fit over a D chord. As to what sequence, it would be like coloring a picture,,,and just choosing which color of crayon you think would look best. Could also be done on strings 4 and 5.
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2010 3:30 pm    

good suggestions. I will try a few

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2024 9:57 am    

Does anyone have tabs to the 2009 version of this song? There are some really good licks in there I want to learn.
Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 8:25 pm    

Is this the version of "Wine, Do Yer Stuff", you folks are referring to?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVTnrO-9jgs

Recorded: 2008 LRS Recording Studio, Hurley, NY - Commander Cody (Commander Cody [vcl/piano], Chris "Tiny" Olsen [steel].Released 2009 Blind Pig Records

- Dave