| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wilde 12 string pup w/ coil tap?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 6:05 pm    

I have a Wilde 12 string pup in my Sierra wired for full humbucker. It has a coil tap wire that I put heat shrink tubing on it to isolate from grounding out. Has anyone used this coil tap and if so does the pup have single coil sound?

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 7:07 pm    

I have an XR-16 on my E9 neck with the red wire wired to a switch to go between humbucker and single coil. It definitely sounds like a single coil. I am about to put one in my C6 neck. I also had one in a Mullen SD12 I used to have.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2024 1:47 pm    

Thank you Richard. I have this guitar at rehearsal so I am going to tip it over and use an alligator clip on the red wire to ground to see what it sounds like before I add a switch. If it has a vibe I’ll have to find a place to mount a switch.

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2024 4:01 pm    

Len Amaral wrote:
Thank you Richard. I have this guitar at rehearsal so I am going to tip it over and use an alligator clip on the red wire to ground to see what it sounds like before I add a switch. If it has a vibe I’ll have to find a place to mount a switch.

Good idea. I mounted the switch under the guitar.

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2024 10:14 pm    

Here is another under guitar switch, To bypass on board volume and tone controls. Used existing holes under the guitar.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2024 9:48 am    

I tipped the guitar over at rehearsal. removed the heat shrink tubing from the pickup tap wire, spliced a wire onto it with an alligator clip at the other end. I attached the alligator clip to the ground shield on the jack coming out of the guitar to the volume pedal. I was able to hear a distinct difference between the full pickup and coil tap.

When I get a chance to bring the guitar home I will add a switch under the guitar. For now, it works and only took 5 minutes.

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2024 10:39 am    

Cool. You'll love being able to switch between single coil and humbucker.