| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Please Delete
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 7:47 am    

I'm done. Lock her up boys.

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 7 Sep 2024 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 9:50 am    

I used to play at the E9/B6 Newman Universal tuning. I spent a couple years digging into it and discovered that it was just one big tuning. I really liked that. I didn't like 12 strings, so I went to a D10.

My experience with it seemed to mirror what a lot of Uni players said...it's not one or the other, it's just one big tuning.

Sounds like you are finding that with D13, which I assume is kinda like D9/G6, I would guess. An oversimplification, I also assume. Haha
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 9:58 am    

deleted.

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 7 Sep 2024 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 12:54 pm    

deleted

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 7 Sep 2024 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian Lee

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 8:16 pm    

Hi Bill, I've been following all the D13 posts closely - yours included! Your messages in a bottle are being read!

I haven't posted replies typically as I'm only a little way into learning pedal steel and haven't had anything to contribute on the subject. Johnny Cox's original D13 threads really got my attention, but they're also above my pay grade at this point of my learning curve. I've been playing slide for 40+ years, but only recently took the plunge to learn pedal steel - starting in my later 60's like you. It's cool that you have gone all in with the D13 approach! Please keep posting, as I'm sure there are more folks like me that are benefiting from following your efforts.

Johnny's explanations of the culmination of his years of D13 experimentation, and all the folks that have posted about trying it out have me thinking about taking the plunge to try it too. I retuned my E9 rig to try the added 6th in the 13th tuning, and it's a blast to play blues on - which is my main bag.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your posts and to let you know that they are being read!

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 8:24 pm    

I have an SD- 12 that one day, I want to convert over to to E 13. I think that there is something to special when you have to figure things out for yourself. I do wonder know that you’ve had some time with the D13 how would you set it up if you didn’t need to copy E9 or C6 licks?
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2024 5:04 am    

Bill its an awfully lonely world out there. I can understand your frustration because I am dealing with the same kind of thing. With my diminished copedant I feel like I have found the Rosetta Stone or something and I really want to shout it from the mountaintop. I think the reality is that there will only be a few people interested in these tunings. The beauty of the forum is that we can connect with these few people over things like this, and yes leave a trail for others in the future. We are a rare breed and we need to stick together.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2024 6:10 am    

I wouldn't call it a different instrument. To me, it's a familiar stringed instrument tuned in a different manner.

I am reminded of my dear old Uncle Mike. He used to play wonderful old tunes, chord melody style, on his beautiful orange Gretsch 6120.

He was so glad that I started taking guitar lessons. On the rare occasions he came to visit (he was in California and we were here in the southern tip of Texas) he would bring that guitar with him.

As I recall, he used some sort of a G tuning. I remember the 1st and 6th strings were tuned to Ds and I think the 5th string was tuned to G.

He could play such wonderful things on that guitar. He claimed that the tuning allowed him to play his style so much more easily and intuitively. He had started out playing standard tuning on his guitars; but, once he did his research and became accustomed to the new tuning, he never went back.

Alas, I only got to see the guy 6 or 8 times in my (and his) life.

~Lee
Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 7:29 am     Bill's Noblesse Oblige

Anybody who is studying and learning the D13 tuning is in fact on the edge of pedal steel knowledge. Especially if that person already was something of an expert on the E-harp. How many D13 players even exist? less than 50?

I would love to study D13th but I have far too far to go in basic B6th with pedals to venture into D13th; On E9th I know my way at least. But if I ever do get a 12 string, I will put D13th on it and accept Bill's recommendation. I remember asking b0b about D13th and he said an experienced C6th (B6th for me) player would recognize right away the functions of the characteristic D13th pedals.

I have a mentor whose methods and materials I follow, when I mentioned getting a 12 string my mentor made a severe face and started shaking his head instinctively and with a sort of shuddering motion. That experience and the thought of having to relearn all the 9th string 7th chord grips by using a pedal is what has stopped me from getting a 12 string instrument. That 9th string is so essential. How could life ever go on without it?

I might be slowly headed toward D13th, but I have a long detour ahead of me on the B6th neck. Bill's own journey from lap steel to D13th has been remarkably accelerated. He deserves kudos for his rapid and advanced progress. If I get a 12 string I will put D13th on it, I promise ! As long as I can still see some E9th in front of me. And maybe Bill can corner the market on D13 teaching material in the meantime and make some money off this gig.

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 8:36 am    

deleted.

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 7 Sep 2024 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 9:20 am     Jeff Newman

Just a word of advice. If you've never read this thread by Jeff Newman, it wouldn't hurt to to read it. Maybe several times

https://stringbendermusic.com/music/jeff-newman/tone-be-or-not-tone-be/

You might save a lot of money and you might spend more time be trying to start concentrating on your craft instead of so much emphases of tools of the craft.

You play the instruement.....it doesn't play you. It all comes from your mind controlling your fingers with the "required" developed muscle memory, I'm talking about the kind of muscle memory it takes to learn to sign your name. It doesn't happen overnight and it takes years and years of trial and error not to mentions the countless hours of practice.

Its not about new guitars, fingerpicks, bars, amps and effects. All fun stuff stuff, but of little use to make use if if you haven't put the thousands and thousands of of hours it takes playing the same thing over and over again till you get it effortlessly right. Einstein once said the definition of "insanity' is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. I'm surprised he said that being a musician himself. The are goals to be achieved to repeating scales, chord progressions and dexterity.

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssstttt a thought.

I appreciate how much you love the instrument and the desire is clearly there. You seem to want to be a contributing part of the forum and I think you do for the most part. You strike me as an amicable, likeable guy. All I'm suggesting is a different approach. Know what you talking, music is so much more fun when you know what's going on.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 10:28 am    

Well, with that pretentious and condescending post, I bid you all farewell.