| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A very interesting Dobro electric
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2024 4:44 pm    

Both the National and Dobro Hawaiian Electrics went through a few variations in their short lifespans. This included a couple of different molds for each, among other changes. I believe this is the very first casting used for the Dobro version; it is quite rare, though a couple of others are out there. The most notable differences with later Dobros are the tailpiece separate from the raised circle, the lack of a raised hump over the pickup coil, and the lack of f-hole decorations to the sides of the fretboard. This casting can be seen in an early ad, though later ads show later cast features.

I have seen this style before - but only from the front. I did not realize until I saw this particular steel that the entire body construction is different. Unlike any other National-Dobro aluminum steel (including my National prototype), the body is mostly open to the back. There is a cover over the pickup but not the rest of the body. I do not believe these visible chambers were ever covered by felt based on the decorations scattered around the back.

But perhaps the coolest aspect of this particular steel is that it was modified at the factory. The top of the body was cut away, hence the nickel-silver cover now screwed in place over the pickup. This allowed the coils to get closer to the strings, thus increasing the output. For various tedious, nerdy reasons, I am sure that this modification was done at the factory and is not some later change. This experiment is probably what lead to the revised casting with the hump over the pickup.

But note my use of the plural earlier: pickup coils. This steel does not have the single-coil pickup normally found in this model, but rather the hum-cancelling version found in the Dobro All-Electric and a number of prototypes from 1934-5. The output is similar to the single-coil units, though the sound is brighter and clearer.

The jack, pot and tuners were replaced by previous owners; this was known to me and did not come as a surprise. The serial is slightly unusual in not starting with an "A", though it is still a pretty low number. I suspect this served as an experimental unit for a while until the factory decided they were done with it and gave it a number before shipping it out. The case has a false bottom that serves as an accessory compartment, something I have not seen in one of these cases before.

The requisite picture of the old folks' reunion:

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2024 5:47 pm    

Awesome stuff! Thank you for nerding out for our benefit. I haven’t seen that particular National before. I love the shape of that one.
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 9:16 am    

Such cool old guitars! Thanks for sharing.
Lynn Wheelwright

Clearfield, Utah, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 11:32 am    

Noah, I see a serial number just below the peghead on the back of the neck. Could you tell me what that is? I can't make it out from the photo.

Thanks
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 12:39 pm    

The serial is 356.
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 12:41 pm    

Thanks Noah, your post are always super-informative. Very Happy

Clearfield, Utah, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 1:07 pm    

Thanks
Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 4:12 pm    

Love seeing these old lap steels. Thanks for posting these pieces of history, Noah!