| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Suggestions for a Platform for Steel and Seat uneven Ground
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2024 6:01 pm    

Bumping this up asking for suggestions for a platform to set the pedal steel and seat. The one I posted about down the page didn't work too well or for very long. 1/2 inch too weak and spongy plus the hinges gave way.

I don't really want to have to lug big heavy 3/4 in. plywood around and trying to come up with an alternative.

Would have to be large enough or adjustable enough for the seat and steel to be at the same height.

I have a big outdoor picnic coming up that will be under cover but on the ground. As I recall, the surface is pretty uneven with maybe a few tree roots around.

What have you guys come up with that works but is not too burdening to haul or tote? Appreciate the help. JO.

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
What CB said. Also, if you're using an open bottomed clip on volume pedal like an Emmons drop pin etc., hum is easily induced with the pedal sitting on bare ground.

I use a half sheet of 1/2" plywood hinged in the middle. This will also help level you up. Invariably, the designated place for the steel to set up almost always has uneven dips, rises and divots. Sad
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 4:12 am    

Very interested in this post.

It has been a problem for me 3 times this year. All 3 were on grass. The places did provide plywood, but not large enough for both guitar and seat. And with uneven ground, the board rocks back and forth making it very difficult to keep foot control on the pedals. One gig had my guitar on plywood and my seat in the thick grass in soft ground. That gig was impossible.

I am not opposed to carrying my own hard surface or riser, but I have a small SUV and need to fit it in with my equipment.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 4:44 am    

I always carry a few of these plastic flower pot coasters in my seat and I have a dozen more that I'll pack if I know I'm coming into a known problem situation. They are not perfect but they have solved situations such as gaps in flatbed slats and grass, gravel & soft turf. They are lightweight and a little flimsy so I'll double or triple them up when necessary, for strength or for height adjustment.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 7:25 am    

Interesting idea Jon. Individual devices v. one big platform. Could use under steel and seat legs too. I'll give that some consideration.
Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 7:34 am    

Those coasters are a great idea! I go to a monthly jam that's outdoors on wood chips in the summer. It's a total pain. I got a kitchen rug, but it's bulky and awkward when I'm already carrying rather a lot of stuff.

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 8:28 am    

Once I had to play in a stable ankle-deep in equal parts straw and horse-pucky. Luckily I have 2 carpeted 3/4" plywood sheets in my pickup bed so I laid them on the straw as shown, set up and got to work. Fair amount of vacuuming the next day, but the gig paid fairly well.

This thread got me thinking about portable hard surfaces and it seems like Jerry had a good idea about hinged plywood sheets, although 1/2" is insufficient. 3/4" works better. Maybe with some kind of hasp and a hardware-store handle to make it easier to transport. Probably would need some 2X 4 blocks to level things up, too... I do think it's better to keep gear away from dirt or dust or sand (or horse-pucky!). Gritty music is OK, Gritty changers not so much, not to mention grounding issues.

ALSO not to mention substantial compensation for all the inconvenience!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 8:37 am    

Well yeah, 3/4 ply is sturdy enough but it's so darned heavy. MDF and OSB, but OSB pieces will come unglued if handled roughly and MDF, like particle board, is a load more than plywood. Maybe birch ply, but terribly expensive now.

I'll consider hinging 2 pieces of 3/4 ply, 3'x4' but the hinges and screws have to be so they will withstand the weight of the material and the gear as they will have to go opposite the folding action. That's what happened with the 1/2 stuff. Too weak plus not enough material to hold hinge screws securely.

Still thinking....
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 12:10 pm    

I have a drawing of a plywood platform, In my plan folder. Drew the plans after a birthday party in a wet lawn. Had to use metal jar lids to keep steel and seat from sinking in lawn.

Plywood does not hold screws well.
The best way I have found to put hinges on plywood, Take a piece of 1/8" metal the size of the hinge. Center mark holes of hinge on the plate, Drill tap size holes in backer plate, Tap holes in plate.

Use bolts to sandwich the plywood between the hinge and plate. Peen ends of bolts so they don't loosen from plywood drying and shrinking.

Two pieces of 3/4" X 24" wide plywood, 6" longer than widest guitar, Hinged, Will make a flat surface to set guitar and seat on. Paint or seal the bottom, So it easy to clean. My plan was fancy, Carpet the top.
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 12:57 pm     Platform

I no longer take outside gigs unless it’s in a place with a bandstand and easy load in, no more grass and generators or 200’ extension cords.. Shocked

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 2:16 pm    

The problem I could see with using the separate coaster type discs under each led, is if the ground on one end of the guitar is higher than the other. It could affect pedal
or knee lever playing, or even throw off your picking or bar hand (don't laugh, I did a gig where there was about a 3" difference, playing on a hill of river rocks and a small piece of plywood just barely big enough for my guitar, and seat on rocks. One of the most miserable gigs in my 50+ years on playing).

And... It was like 104 degrees in direct sunlight. The contact cement holding the rubber piece on top of my Hilton volume pedal softened up and the rubber piece slid completely off the pedal, laying on the rocks.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 5:50 pm    

The coaster idea is on the right track, but I would combine it with the half sheet of 3/4 plywood. And I would use five or six 8” lengths of 2x2 or 1x2 as shims instead of plastic pot coasters. You will never find a perfectly level patch of back yard, but maybe you get lucky once in a while and only have to shim one corner of the platform. It’s still a PITA, but a half sheet of 3/4” doesn’t weighs more than 30-35 pounds. Put a handle on it. A/C solid core. You don’t need to pay for a hardwood face.

I had to play a gig that was basically out in the woods. All I had was a half sheet of 1/4” hardboard. That did not work out well at all. I’m not sure anything would have.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 8:39 pm    

I have some rubber, non-skid furniture pads that I keep in the car, similar to but not exactly these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D478QQCF/. The ones I got were the largest round ones I could find - large is obviously better for a somewhat soft surface because they won't sink in as much. I like the rubber because it is a bit flexible and can conform to a somewhat irregular surface. If the drummer can figure out a way to set up his kit, then I can generally figure something out too. Like the drummer, I use a 3-leg drum throne, which handles somewhat irregular surfaces like a champ.

But I will not set up a pedal steel directly on soft or wet grass, gravel, sand like at a beach, or a stupidly irregular surface. I'm sorry, but if y'all want pedal steel, you have to do something to mitigate stupidly impossible conditions. The same goes for any drummers I work with. They routinely carry a drummer's carpet - no carpet frequently means drums slip - but I've never worked with a drummer that carried a hard platform on which to fit a drum kit. And neither will I.

I sometimes play wineries and breweries outside with no stage and we're playing directly on the ground. But they invariably have something - a large piece of plywood, a drummer's carpet, or something like that. The pads may sink into the surface a bit, and I would typically have to adjust the length of the back legs to adjust for some irregularity. But I have to be able to find some place on the surface that's flat enough for the front legs to be reasonably level.

Very occasionally, I've found myself in a situation where pedal steel is impossible, and I play guitar and sometimes a lap steel instead. This is very unusual - most people that hire a band know that they must have at least a somewhat reasonable surface to set up on. Seriously, folks - if someone hiring a band is so ignorant that they expect them to play on, for example, jagged rocks, in the woods with tree stumps or roots sticking up, or on a soft, sandy beach with no platform of any kind, how worried can they be about exactly what instruments are being played? And if they are, they need to wake up and smell the coffee. I can live without people like that.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 9:05 am    

Dave wrote:
But I will not set up a pedal steel directly on soft or wet grass, gravel, sand like at a beach, or a stupidly irregular surface.

Sometimes the surface is hard enough, but there are other issues.. Smile

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 9:31 am    

Exactly. Looks like we'll be using 2 flat beds back to back. They are both plank beds and we'll have to watch out for cracks and humps as in your photo Bill.

Both myself and the drummer will have to find optimum places to set our gear which might be a problem considering there will probably be at least 7 pcs., which is too many for me but.... Oh Well

I don't think they understand we need completely level and stable spots.

Another issue will probably be platforms bouncing enough to cause spring reverb crashing, so I'll likely have to have all digital stuff.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 9:43 am    

Jerry wrote:
Looks like we'll be using 2 flat beds back to back. They are both plank beds and we'll have to watch out for cracks and humps as in your photo Bill.

Yeah, that was a gig on a ranch out in the Texas Hill Country. They had the flatbed trailer parked across the side of a fairly steep hill. I could handle the guitar being tilted forward, but the seat being slanted made all the pedal and knee levers feel weird. I'm guessing the back side of that trailer was at least a foot higher than the front side. I was fairly annoyed (and that was before I heard how loud the generator was) until I remembered how much we were getting paid. Smile
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 1:01 pm    

Been there. Had a horrible sound problem using a generator one time. They placed it far engough away to cut down on the sound but the cable runs really squashed the sound.

The trailers at our event will be pretty much level, so no lateral problems, just have to negotiate the flooring. Still considering a plywood platform.
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 1:32 pm    

I know we are talking about extreme unevenness but the fundamental issue is four legs are never going sit well on even a slightly wonky stage. All PSGs and chairs need at least one fine adjustment leg.
Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 3:18 pm    

Nip it in the bud… haul a half sheet of plywood…..

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 4:28 pm    

Point taken Jerry. Would not have been a big deal 30, 40 yrs. ago.

Now, I have enough burden getting the pedal steel and associated gear there. I'm trying to avoid having a half sheet of heavy 3/4 plywood to load in and out plus you have to get it to the site where you set up.

That's why I'm looking for alternate solutions.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 5:16 pm    

Roadies, Jerry 🤠
Better yet, get the guy in the band who booked the gig give you a hand with that plywood!
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 9:03 pm    

Bill Terry wrote:
Dave wrote:
But I will not set up a pedal steel directly on soft or wet grass, gravel, sand like at a beach, or a stupidly irregular surface.

Sometimes the surface is hard enough, but there are other issues.. Smile

I have to play on relatively flat boarded surfaces with cracks like that pretty routinely. That is pretty common for an outdoor 'stage' around here - get 5 miles out of town and it is rural farmland (lotsa Amish) in all directions. If the boards are reasonably flat, I can find a reasonably level plane for the front legs. The rubber furniture pads handle cracks like that just fine. A 3-legged drum stool can handle almost anything but an extremely sloped surface.

A few years ago, I had a gig where the whole band was facing sideways on an Amish-style wagon (think horse and wagon with no horse, thus the hitch was on the ground) that was pitched at an approximately 15-20 degree angle from left to right. We had to move some bales of hay out of the way, but otherwise it was tolerable. But a much more extreme angle would have been problematic.

Seriously, though - I have walked into gigs and just laughed at them. You want me to do what??!! Laughing
john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 12:44 pm    

Our group does occasional outside jobs, it's a pain but I use a 4x4 sheet of 3/4 plywood. Fits perfect in the back of the SUV (our model) and assures a perfect flat surface a never have to adjust the rig set up. This work for me in any situation, on a flatbed trailer, ground or whatever. This is my fix for me.
Raybob Bowman

S. Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 1:20 pm    

Half sheet of 3/4 plywood, 4'x4' should be enough for steel and seat. Set amp in the dirt.

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 1:21 pm    

This is not for outdoor use but could be! This 39x39, i built it with wheels so I could roll to different places in the room. So you don’t need 4x4 and can save a little room hauling.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 4:19 pm    

That's nice Doug. Carpet tiles on there?

Well folks, I appreciate all the suggestions. Since we are going to be on a sturdy relatively flat surface, I'm thinking a plywood panel will do OK to deal with cracks, voids and minor warps and bumps.

For setting up on uneven ground with dips, holes, slants, tree roots and the like, I like the individual leg leveler devices using some in multiples where needed per Jon et al.

Plywood is always going to be flat so if you use that on hilly, slanting turf etc., it won't help laterally, horizontally etc.

Thanks much. Bring 'em if you got 'em.