| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Concerning Proper Power Adapters
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2024 11:24 am    

Just a heads up if you are having problems with your Roland/Boss unit.

I was having operation problems with a Boss BR-900CD unit I bought used several years ago and the CD/Recording and related functions never worked right or at all in some cases.

I was using the PowerAll 1.7 ma adapter which I thought would be sufficient and has been for everything else but the Boss unit did not operate properly with it.

The tech who was serivicing it said need to try the proper original Roland/Boss power supply. PSC-100. I was reluctant and skeptical but followed up. That fixed our problem. Everything works like it should now. What's different? I don't know. Only thing I'm aware of is that the Boss is a regulated P/S. 9V DC. 2a which is more amperage than the unit requires.

I've noticed before that some Roland/Boss products will not work properly with different or aftermarket power supplies. The warning Use Only Boss PSC-100 adapter with this unit was not hype...it was right on.

This probably applies to other brands and makes of electronic gear. Just a heads up if some of your gear doesn't work as intended, noisy etc.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2024 1:50 pm    

Is your Power-All the actual Godlyke Power-All or a copy? This is the actual Power-All - https://godlyke.com/collections/power-all-digital-power-supplies and this is a typical copy - https://www.amazon.com/PK-Power-Power-All-DSA-30W-12-Switching/dp/B06XF4Y1SN

Even if it's the original Power-All, there could be an issue. Power Adapters like the Power-All and Truetone One-Spot are switched-mode power supplies, and not every pedal plays well with these. There is sometimes more noise (due to the high-frequency chopper and extensive filtering required) with a switched-mode supply. Wikipedia gives some useful info on these - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply. I personally have occasionally had issues with some of my digital pedals when powered by a One-Spot, which I consider basically interchangeable with the Power-All.

Actually, I have some Digitech high-draw pedals like the Drop pedal that really do not like One-Spots at all. A lot of noise comes through to the pedal output, which is even worse when daisy-chaining with any other pedal. With the Drop specifically, within a month or two, it simply eats my 1700 ma One-Spots. I figured the first was a fluke, but after the second burned-out One-Spot, I finally gave up and power it separately with an old-school linear analog power supply that didn't have anywhere near as much power-handling capability, but more than the Drop pedal required.

In general, I think that power supplies like the One-Spot and Power All are great in most cases. But occasionally, I find a pedal that just doesn't work with them.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2024 3:25 pm    

Yeah it's a Godlyke Powerall. Got a couple of them. They will power up the machine, but they will not operate the CD tray or functions.

As I stated earlier, I have an assortment of various branded and aftermarket P/S that meet the Boss ratings specs but none of them will work properly. The Boss unit is the only one that works like it should with this unit.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2024 4:18 pm    

While a little more expensive, I am using the Gigrig Gen-X 14 in my pedalboard, and it gives you multiple options of voltage and amp output which should just about power any effects unit properly !!! Plus the power supply is international -- great for the touring musician.

https://www.thegigrig.com/power
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.