| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scotty's Big Steel Guitar Show
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 9:56 am    

Labor Day weekend, always brings to my mind the Great Steel Guitar Show that Scotty and his family hosted for so many years. I attended my first time in 1977 and then about 12 more years. Some years I had to play music and was on the road, or playing on a Branson Missouri Show, and wasn't able to attend. DeWitt "Scotty" Scott did so much for all of us Steel Guitarists. Attending his Big Steel Guitar Convention was a highlight of my life and I looked forward to it each time. I got to meet, see and hear the Greatest Steel Guitarists that ever played the instrument we all love so much! Some of my heroes were Jerry Byrd, Speedy West, Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green, Bob White, Maurice "Reece" Anderson, Zane Beck, Julian Tharpe, Doug Jernigan, Bobby Black, John Hughey, Ralph Mooney, Tom Brumley, Jimmy Day, Jimmy Crawford, Russ Hicks John Hughey and many others. There was so many great people involved with these shows. You could see and hear the Greatest Steel Guitarists of all time. Thank you Scotty and all the great people involved. Also thanks to all the Great Steel Guitarists. Thanks Scotty, Family, Friends and all that played on these shows!
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 10:13 am    

It was the greatest show on earth and I was mesmerized with the level of talent and the Convention event. I did over 28 years and spend 3 days each year soaking it up. Scotty will forever be my hero and the band and staff were near and dear to my heart. Thank you Scotty and family and everyone involved.
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 10:54 am    

The ISGC was so fun. Different day and time I guess.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 12:30 pm    

Nothing will compare to Scotty's Big Steel Guitar Show because of the Great Steel Guitarists who used to perform there. Not trying to put anyone down, but those Steel Guitarists were the originators, stylists, inventors and the guys who lived it all.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 12:32 pm    

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, DFW till May 2025
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 12:44 pm    

It was without a doubt 'the best'
All of the shows today are mediocre compared to Scotty's International Steel Guitar Show'
Unlike the others, Scotty invited players from ALL States & Countries to share steel guitar fellowship with the world.
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, Ty England & more
wcedgar.com
John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 5:34 pm     Scotty’s ISGC

Being a West Coaster til ‘96, had only heard about the “Big Show”. Moved to the mid-west and finally got to attend many times after that. Unfortunately, I have mixed feelings….yes got to see a lot of my heroes; but also saw the shows decline in attendance…..for whatever reasons.

The really sad part is to see is how one particular person has just absolutely ruined the legacy created by DeWitt Sr and Mary. While many of us have memories of the St. Louis shows, the greatest thing, USED TO BE, that we could revisit and rekindle those memories because of the Tireless and Excellent work of Bill Ferguson. His videos and audios, work to convert from tape format to digital and to make them available to the Steel Guitar Community was and is so greatly and sincerely appreciated.

So, as I think about this weekend in history….I am saddened that there is no ISGC, but more so that a person’s selfish greed has destroyed any remaining artifacts for us steel guitar aficionados and the current and future generations to enjoy and become inspired by the greats.

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 6:02 pm    

I went to the International Steel Guitar Convention in '03 as a spectator and listener because at the time, I wasn't playing shows yet. I'd wanted to go to the ISGC ever since I started playing steel. In the year 2000, I'd heard that one of my steel guitar heroes, Teddy Carr was selling the Franklin steel he played with the country music band Ricochet because he left Ricochet in 2000 because he and his wife were getting ready for a baby, and Teddy's Franklin was on display at the ISGC in 2000. In '03, when I went to the ISGC, I enjoyed the show and met many great players, including Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green, Sarah Jory, Don Helms, Jay Dee Maness, and many others. I would watch and listen to other players, but a lot of the time, I walked through the hallways, looking at steel guitars on display, and the Saturday night I was there, I tried out a Carter steel and loved it! Then, after the convention, my telephone was ringing a lot because several steel guitarists were calling my house. I think I dreaded leaving the convention in '03 because I'd met so many great players
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 10:47 am    

I just wished that others could have seen, heard and met those really Legendary Steel Guitarists. Where else could a Steel Guitar Fan or player walk inside a large room and hear Buddy Emmons, Jimmy Day, Zane Beck, Doug Jernigan, Lloyd Green, Pete Drake, Curly Chalker, Speedy West, Leon McAuliffe, Jerry Byrd, Tom Brumley, Julian Tharpe, John Hughey, Jimmy Crawford, Russ Hicks, Bob White, Ralph Mooney and others. Now so many of them are gone. The Great Super Backup Band members were people like Bobby Caldwell, Buddy Sicher, Roy Rosetta, Larry London, Jimmy Queen, Sid Hudson, Rick Boyer, Wade Ray, and so many others. I will always be thankful to have had that opportunity.
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 11:06 am    

I think one of the great benefits of seeing all of the above mentioned steel players was not only the enjoyment they provided but also by watching them play a full set we could learn to appreciate the different styles they brought to country music.
Jimmy Day didn’t sound like Buddy Emmons and Lloyd Green didn’t sound like Doug Jernigan, etc. I didn’t realize there was a Mooney style until I watched him play his set at the ISGC show. I probably knew it was Tom Brumley who played Together Again but after watching him play his set I could forever tell other songs/licks he made famous.
My favorite performance had to be Lloyd Green and Tommy White (on dobro) playing a medley of Don Williams songs!!

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 11:23 am     Re: Scotty’s ISGC

John Haspert wrote:
Being a West Coaster til ‘96, had only heard about the “Big Show”. Moved to the mid-west and finally got to attend many times after that. Unfortunately, I have mixed feelings….yes got to see a lot of my heroes; but also saw the shows decline in attendance…..for whatever reasons.

The really sad part is to see is how one particular person has just absolutely ruined the legacy created by DeWitt Sr and Mary. While many of us have memories of the St. Louis shows, the greatest thing, USED TO BE, that we could revisit and rekindle those memories because of the Tireless and Excellent work of Bill Ferguson. His videos and audios, work to convert from tape format to digital and to make them available to the Steel Guitar Community was and is so greatly and sincerely appreciated.

So, as I think about this weekend in history….I am saddened that there is no ISGC, but more so that a person’s selfish greed has destroyed any remaining artifacts for us steel guitar aficionados and the current and future generations to enjoy and become inspired by the greats.

Not sure what you are talking about. Was it the plaques or did one of his son's quash the videos of the event?
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 5:55 pm    

I agree with those of you have responded to this post. As some mentioned the Steel Guitarists back then all sounded different. They had their own styles, signature licks and fills. There was so much versatility in their playing. Just to meet and visit them was Awesome too. Thanks Y'all for sharing your memories.
Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2024 10:39 am     Scotty's

Great comments from previous folks! Here's one of my many photos.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2024 4:24 pm    

No doubt the biggest show. I attended three times. It is a shame it has been shut down. Texas I think is now the biggest show. We get big name players from the states and overseas. The ISGC crowd was very large from what I remember. 1981 was my first time to attend and see Buddy Emmons live. Scotty started something that I sure am thankful for.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2024 4:50 pm    

amazing show, I was there in 1994 but arrived too late and missed it , I did hang out with Scotty and the guys at his shop , which was a blast .. Scotty was a great guy and a huge asset to steel guitar community, his Steel Guitar Convention was known all around the world , too bad he couldn’t find anyone capable of continuing with it after he’s gone …

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2024 5:00 pm    

Russ Hicks and I were discussing the convention and he said it had been dwindling as many legends we’re passing and Scotty didn’t really keep up the the new and young players like he should have.

Last edited by Ron Hogan on 7 Sep 2024 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2024 6:55 pm    

Who were some y'all's heroes of the Steel Guitar that played Scotty's Big Steel Guitar Show?
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2024 8:13 pm    

They were all great. Part of the greatness was that each one had their own recognizable style. All of that era were creators. Many of the newbies came away copying their chosen style and technique. I was always sitting on the floor in front of the stage when the Saturday sets were played by Green, Emmons, Rugg, Crawford & Hicks, Jernigan, White, Franklin. Emmons Saturday set was rehearsed and always dynamic and creative, one year with a small orchestra and conductor. The convention room was standing room only during his set. In 1977 he recorded a live double LP. He was creative and flawless. After the Saturday schedule closed down, you could wander the hallways and find some of them jamming until early morning. The room packed with spectators and thick cigarette smoke. Party after the show. Especially at Chase Park Plaza Hotel. It all tamed down at the Sheraton. Hospitality rooms still had jams. Educational and fun time to live it.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 4:36 am    

I agree with you Dennis Detweiler. It was a time that we will never forget and never see again.

No Steel Guitar Shows today compare with Scotty's. It was mainly because of the Stars of Steel Guitar. Everyone had a different style and sound.

It was just incredible. I'll always be grateful for being able to experience it.

Thanks, and best to all!

Terry Wood
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 8:42 am    

Scotty invited me to play his convention two different times. Playing those shows were nerve racking. After playing those shows I felt like a cow after milking. Scotty was a special person who was able to get the best out of the many different types of people who attended and played his Convention. Scotty made everyone feel important. There may be other steel guitar shows, but I doubt there will ever be one like Scotty's International Convention.
For those that might be interested: There is a steel show coming up soon. September 27th and 28th in Branson, Missouri. A great list of players. I play on this show Saturday September 28th at 2:30. Looking forward to seeing old and new friends.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 8:59 am    

Terry Wood wrote:
Who were some y'all's heroes of the Steel Guitar that played Scotty's Big Steel Guitar Show?

One of my heroes was the emcee William H. "Stoney" Stonecipher because he was the man who got me started playing the steel guitar, and Paul Franklin, John Hughey, Jay Dee Manness, Don Helms, Norm Hamlet, Lloyd Green, Jimmy Day, Shot Jackson, and Buddy Emmons come to mind. One of my favorite players, Sonny Garrish was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2014
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 6:45 pm    

My job for Scotty, for a couple of years, was to go to player's rooms, and go with them and their steel's on the elevator, down to the stage,
A person that always comes to mind when I think of Scotty's is Mike Perlowin and his thoughtful inquiring mind. Also, that guy with the white beard, top hat, tuxedo and maybe a cane.
I also think of Jimmy Day and his groupies with the satin jackets. I can't remember what they said or pictured.
Maybe someone here knows.
Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 11:25 pm     Scotty's Big Steel Guitar Show

Brett, here's a followup to your favorite steel guitarist's induction into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2014, Sonny Garrish.

Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 11:32 am    

Thank you, Jim, for posting Sonny Garrish' induction picture.

He was such a Great Steel Guitarist, and one that a lot of people didn't realize all of the hit recordings that Sonny played on over many years.

Pictured behind him are left to right Steel Guitar Hall of Famers Ron Elliot, Billy Robinson, Russ Hicks and barely can see Doug Jernigan's hair and forehead behind the guy holding Sonny's plaque. I knew all four of those guys and Doug and Russ were special guests on some of my little Steel Guitar Shows. Billy Robinson and Ron Elliott were two that I had going to come to play my shows but never made it before their passing away.

Those Scotty Steel Guitar Shows were just Awesome and all of those Steel Guitarists that were inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame were so deserving.

The very first year they inducted Steel Guitarists were Jerry Byrd, Leon McAuliffe and Alvino Rey they were some of the earliest Great Men of Steel Guitar. I was there that year too.

I will ever be grateful for those years that I was able to attend.

Terry Wood
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 11:47 am     Re: Scotty's Big Steel Guitar Show

Jim R. Harrison wrote:
Brett, here's a followup to your favorite steel guitarist's induction into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2014, Sonny Garrish.

Jim, thank you for posting the picture of Sonny! He played steel on a lot of the records and songs I heard in the 80s and 90s. I remember right after I started playing steel, I was a karaoke singer for a country radio station in order to get an occupational diploma to graduate high school, and was working a balloon festival. I started talking to some people and told them I'm a steel guitar player, and a lady asked me, "Have you ever heard of Sonny Garrish?" I answered "Yes, he is one of my favorite steel guitarists".