| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  what plywood for lightweight speaker cabinets, like Quilter
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2024 7:14 am    

I recently acquired a Quilter TT12 and love it. I am also borrowing a Quilter 10" block dock.

I really like how lightweight and seemingly strong these speaker cabinets are. I am a woodworker and have some speaker and amp cabinet projects in mind and I would like to know what kind of wood they are using.

I'm guessing it is a nice cabinet grade 1/2 birch plywood? Or is it something more exotic/lighter? I think I saw some company using carbon fiber for speaker cabinets that were crazy lightweight.

I have some old poplar barn boards that I was thinking I could plane down to 1/2" and make cabinets out of- I think this would be very light. Of course, plywood would be a lot easier to work with.

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2024 7:55 am    

Do a search on Tommy Huff. He builds his cabinets out of Birch plywood, and does an amazing job.
Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2024 9:46 am    

I too have thought about using 1/2" material for speaker cabs. That popular sounds like a good idea, any plywood adds weight in exchange for strength.
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2024 11:36 am    

Years ago Buzz Feiten was building speaker cabs that were supposed to be noticeably lighter.
I don't know if he still does.
I don't know what they were made of.

There was a review of them in Guitar Player Magazine.
At some point after that they were licensed by Fuchs amplifiers.

Try doing some internet searches and see what comes up.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2024 7:44 pm    

Here is a picture of a speaker cabinet I built for a 15" Eminence EPS-15C speaker, It is made of 1/2" Birch plywood. It has a back of 1/2" plywood with 3" full width opening top and bottom. With handle, Corners, Grill. Rubber feet and covered with car trunk liner material. It weighs 21 lb., With a Tone Block 202 amp., My amp. combo weighs 25lb.

The cut out was used to install a Evans amp. unit, Till I got the TB202.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2024 5:54 am    

Bobby that looks great, but is that weight correct? I would think the cabinet heavier not counting the speaker weight. I put the speaker jack on the back on the few I built.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2024 8:35 pm    

Larry, When I pulled the Evans amp. out of the cabinet, I weighed the cabinet with speaker. It weighed 21 lb. By adding the jack, Speaker wire and the filler plate and attachments in the amp. hole, It now weighs 22lb.

2 reasons I put the jack on the front, 1 so I can see it. I had a Wantabee Sound Man, Pull the speaker cable out, With my Evan AH 200 on. The stage lit up like an arc welder flash. The amp had fell off my cart getting it on stage. They had removed the ramp when COVID hit, Was our first show back. My insurance company covered the 700.00 to rebuild it.

Also I sit and look at that space between the top of the cabinet and the speaker. Could I cut a hole out and fit the TB 202 in the cabinet with tie down bar. One less piece to carry.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 5:40 am     ...well...

I have a Sho~Bud single channel made out of pine...assembled with chassis and Weber neo speaker,it weighs about the same as a Deluxe Reverb...stil too heavy for me to carry anymore,but light enough I could use it if I had to...I was dead set against not using plywood like the original, but the pine is definitely lighter than the plywood and sounds fine...I've been told that pine cabs are more"resonant"than plywood, but I was afraid it would change the sound of the amp...can't tell any difference!

RIck Johnson is a Forum member and I think he still builds them...I used a cat in town here and he didn't do some stuff I asked him to do, soI won't recommend him.

All this to say that pine is an option for amp cabs...

SH
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 9:19 am    

Plus one for pine… its lighter/better/cheaper

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 10:03 am    

Bobby, thanks for the info and explanation.
John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 6:12 pm     Plywood for Speaker cabs and the like

Being a lifelong woodworker and having built a great number of cabs, I would offer the following observations- back in the 60’s and 70’s, several of the major amp manufacturers used 1 x 12 pine because it was available, fairly straight and flat with relatively few knots. The trend toward using jointed or glued-up boards came into vogue to be able to get flatter boards, control costs and guarantee availability for the manufacturing plants. On another front, plywood manufacture and laminated wood products were developed with higher strength, but sometimes with greater weight compared to pine. In the later 70’s and 80’s, the Finland or Baltic Birch Plywoods became available here in the US. For the residential cabinet makers, it was a godsend since it was strong, straight, easily machined and finished. The extra advantage was that you could use the 1/2” thick material in place of the 3/4” stock and still get the strength and lighter finished products. I still use the Baltic Birch ply today for many projects. Like a Timex, it can take a beating and still stay ticking, easy to cover with Tolex, Vinyl, Carpet etc. Easy to Finger joint or place dovetail joints. So, can you tell that I am a fan of good, high quality plywood for speaker cabs?

New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 6:27 am    

Lynn,

I am not sure what plywood Quilter uses, but by far the cheapest, easiest to construct, and best sounding speaker enclosure that I have used I made from a pine, deep honey super. You can order an unassembled deep super from any beekeeping supply house.

The premium boxes cost about $25.00 plus shipping. They are machined with standard box joints and can be glued and screwed together in no time.

There is a 3/4" rebate machined into the top edge of the shorter sides that you need deal with - I put a piece of 1 X 4 pine in the rebate on each side and secure the speaker baffle to them from the inside.

It makes a nice, retro looking speaker box particularly if you use a funky piece of old grill cloth like I did. Fill the screw holes, rout, sand and paint - I use Hammertone enamel which holds up well, don't bother with covering the thing.

Load it with your favorite 12" speaker. I used a 4 ohm SICA neo and power it with a Milkman "The amp". Together, amp and speaker weigh 19.5 lbs. Super light weight and great sounding - my band mates call it the Milk and Honey.

G. Meixner

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 8:31 am    

Back around 1955 I built an amplifier from the guts of an old Philco floor radio, the cabinet was 3/4 plywood. With speakers and everything included it weighed about 35 pounds. At that time my transportation was a Trolley car and bus but being young I could handle it going to gigs.
Forget the good old days......LOL
Sam
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 9:19 am    

You might try something like this too: https://avatarspeakers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/29793539_1851259081585189_7550896707281461809_n.jpg
Just routed slots--keeps the strength, but cuts the weight into just a fraction of what a solid piece of birch ply would weigh.

Dave
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 12:16 pm    

David Ball wrote:
You might try something like this too: https://avatarspeakers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/29793539_1851259081585189_7550896707281461809_n.jpg
Just routed slots--keeps the strength, but cuts the weight into just a fraction of what a solid piece of birch ply would weigh.

Dave

Brilliant! That is why I'm building up a CNC router- stuff like this.

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 1:50 pm    

Lynn Kasdorf wrote:
David Ball wrote:

Dave

Brilliant! That is why I'm building up a CNC router- stuff like this.

Watch out--CNC can be quite addictive! I started out years ago doing 2D projects like those speaker cabinet parts (still do some of that kind of thing), but got into 3D modeling and started doing archtop plates, necks and other fun stuff. Eventually added a CNC mill to my router rig and did some pedal steel parts a few years back. Good luck!

Dave
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 7:56 pm    

I’ve been using a cabinet I bought from Bobby Lee…real heavy, well built and solid. I think it’s plywood. It’s sounds decent with the k130 JBL. Just today I put another JBL k130 in a Milkman cabinet made of pine with a plywood baffle. I was blown away to how much better it sounded. It was warmer and the mids and highs were just so pleasing…I want to say it was more organic sounding. I was powering it with a Quilter Mach 2 Micropro.

The basic tone doesn’t change much it’s mostly the feel and resonance/response. Just smooth and balanced overall.
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2024 6:29 am    

If you can find one, check the Marrs speaker cabinet like PF used. I believe they're 3/8" ply with internal 1x Pine ribs for support. Very light. I've made cabinets and cases out of Lowe's 1/2" finish plywood that's primed white on one side. 7 ply and light,was $30 but now about $60!