| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Setting play in A pedal
Jon Smorada

Industry, PA USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2024 1:16 pm    

I have a Mullens Discovery and am using the Day setup. If I just barely touch the A pedal it immediately starts to raise strings 5 and 10. The B pedal has a little bit of play which I prefer. What's the proper way to get some play in the A pedal so it's not going to start raising the strings with the slightest touch?

Thanks, Jon
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2024 2:42 pm    

Hi Jon. Most steels have a small spring at the top of the pedal rod that lifts the rod just a little above the contact point that you are talking about. Some steels don't. If yours does not have one, just adjust your A pedal down a little lower by turning your pedal-to-rod connector 1 or 2 turns clock-wise (as viewed from the top). Some people have that A pedal adjusted way to high for us less flexible peeps. Smile
PS..You said The Day set up.I'm assuming you are calling the first pedal the A pedal; yes? I'm a little confused because you mentioned string 10 being involved. Oh Well

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2024 5:57 pm    

Day Setup, Your 3rd pedal from left is your A pedal 5-10 strings B to C#. Correct.
Guitars that have pedal return springs are attached at pedal rod lever, Or on the cross shaft itself, Near the pedal lever.
Turn the guitar over and check underneath, If the other pedals have free play, Your A pedal may have a broken spring. Or it became unhooked from 1 of its attachment points. If broken, Replaced, If unhooked Reattach.

It is good to have about 1/4" free play in each pedal, With some tension so you can feel the pedal, Before it actually starts raising or lowering strings on the pedal.

Good Luck finding the problem and a quick cure.
Jon Smorada

Industry, PA USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2024 1:48 am    

Correct. The A pedal is the third from the left and raises strings 5 and 10 from B to C#. I am experiencing some flexibility issues with my ankles, thanks to getting old Sad.

I'm going to my 50th class reunion today and will try to adjust the guitar when I tear it down. It's been a few years since I had it out of the case and getting my chops back has been frustrating, but surprisingly, I wasn't as rusty as I thought I'd be.

Thanks for all your help!

Jon