| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Webb 614e
Paul Morrison

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2024 1:32 pm    

I was just wondering why you hardly ever come across Web 614e for sale on here,, Are they that good that no one wants to get rid of them, what is one worth or what should one expect to pay for one, what should I look for on one to know it's a good one. Thank you
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 6:55 am     Re: Web 614e

Paul Morrison wrote:
I was just wondering why you hardly ever come across Web 614e for sale on here,, Are they that good that no one wants to get rid of them, what is one worth or what should one expect to pay for one, what should I look for on one to know it's a good one. Thank you

Yes they are "that good" or I would sell ypu mine. I have a Quilter and it's close, but the Webb is the one I take to work.

As for value, the 614-E and "KB-1 Keyboard Amp" are essentially identical amps, for a working amp expect to pay $800 to $1400 depending on age, condition, and speaker.

There were two builders and three build series of Webb amps and each is slightly different. Most came with JBL 15" musical instrument speakers, either K130 or E130, although some customers had other speakers installed.

Early amps had Accutronics type 4 reverb tanks, later builds used the shorter type 8. Early amps had a 1/4" line out, later amps added a 1/4" power amp in to provide a post-preamp effects loop. All builds feature a 1/4" TRS remote reverb level control, on early amps plugging in the remote unit bypasses the front panel control completely, while newer models add the two controls together in series so that both controls affect the reverb level.

The amp features a switchable auxiliary 5-band eq. The original Jim Webb builds are notorious for significant gain loss when this circuit is activated, making it mostly useless, but the amp sounds so good without it that this is not a deal killer. This anomaly was cleaned up when Tom Bradshaw had the circuit updated for his later builds.

Lastly there are two cabinet designs, the original open-back and Tom Bradshaw's later ported closed back.

As you can see, as well as finding a decent Webb amp, there are subtle differences to consider, and like my steel guitars over the years, I have gone through a few Webb amps to find my keeper. I paid a friend $500 for a useless amp he had gotten from another forum member, a clean looking early build (I bought it for its color) that required a lot of rescue work, including replacing the power cord, fuse block, AC outlet, reverb tank, reverb remote control, and speaker, plus general internal cleanup and the installation of a full effects loop. It turned out well enough for me that I sold my newer Webb amps, as the combination of sound, cosmetics, discrete remote reverb, big type 4 reverb tank, and open back with a JBL K130 speaker serves my needs perfectly. YMMV.
Paul Morrison

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 9:57 am     Web614e

Thank you for the information I traded for one and was just wondering what I had I'm messing around with pedal steel and just having fun, just feeling my way,,, I've got my web my steel king a Nashville 400 and Nashville 1000, with a wbs4x4 hoping to someday have me a blonde 3x4 sho-bud again thank you so much,, Paul
Clark Connell

Emmetsberg,Iowa USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2024 2:22 pm     Webb 6-14E

Since I had mine completely gone through about 2 years ago, all the old caps and resistors replaced, it's a desert island amp. I wouldn't part with it at all. It's that good sounding. Has the JBL speaker. You can't go wrong with a Webb, provided you get one that's been cared for. Good luck to you.
Emmons LeGrand II Lacquer 8X8 Two Tone tan & brown, Mullen G2 D-10 8X8 Teal,
Evans FET 500, Peavey Session 500 mk IV,Peavey Vegas 400, Webb 6-14E, Sho-Bud Amp, Profex II, Sarno Black Box, Sarno Tube Preamp, Blue Tube Preamp,MosValve 500 Power Amp, Lab Series L5 Amp, Quilter Power Block 200 Eminence PF-400 & PF-350 in Telonics cabs, Crate 212 amp