| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Name of Part and How To Fix BMI
James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2024 2:26 pm    

Please look inside the red circle. The spur the string attaches to looks fine but it bends until the string pops off. What is the name of the part in question, if I need to buy one?

Other than that, what is the best way to fix the problem?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2024 3:11 pm    

Best have someone in the know to give that a look. That is a pin that is embedded into the bridge roller. It should not bend. If it keeps bending it will likely break off and then you have a real problem. I would suggest not playing it until you get it repaired.

Maybe it was broken before and replaced with an improper one.

I'd probably run this issue by the folks at BMI and see how they suggest you proceed.

There are ways to use tools to pull that pin out and replace it with a correct one, but it's tedious and can ruin the finger if not done properly making it necessary to replace that entire finger.

Not knowing your level of mechanical expertise, I won't suggest anything further at the moment, but it can likely be repaired on the guitar with the proper tools and knowledge.
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2024 4:48 am    

That should be a 5/64 roll pin or hardened pin they usualy break not bend it may have been replaced at some time with the wrong type pin. These are usualy driven in or pressed in the finger.

Barry

Last edited by Barry Coker on 29 Aug 2024 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2024 5:37 am    

That tempered roller pin has been replaced with another type of metal. Part of the old pin may still be inside because, as mentioned, they’ll break before they bend. If not it should be an easy fix to replace it with the correct pin.

Not to be negative but you have a lot going on there. It’s likely that guitar was under water or got really wet as the body is badly warped and the first 3 changer fingers are out of alignment. It appears the rod/shaft that slides through the fingers is bent as those fingers are crooked. Not saying it isn’t playable but there are some issues this will cause with tuning, mechanical operation, and resale value should you decide to part with it at some point.

BMI is a long time favorite of mine and I’ve had more than any other brand…refurbishing several. I would hope someone didn’t take advantage of you when they sold you this BMI without full disclosure.
James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2024 6:14 am    

Can you tell me the best way of pulling the old pin out?
Also, what is the right pin to use and where do you buy them? I'll be checking with BMI of course.

Fortunately, the guitar is not actually warped. It only looks like it is in the picture.

I am guessing it was built before the 90s. It had been stored for many years. It is a Day setup, so odds are the owner was a professional. It is playable and tunable except for that one roller and pin. Actually, it is an amazing guitar in terms of quality. It sounds great, even with its old dead strings still on it.

David Higginbotham wrote:
That tempered roller pin has been replaced with another type of metal. Part of the old pin may still be inside because, as mentioned, they’ll break before they bend. If not it should be an easy fix to replace it with the correct pin.

Not to be negative but you have a lot going on there. It’s likely that guitar was under water or got really wet as the body is badly warped and the first 3 changer fingers are out of alignment. It appears the rod/shaft that slides through the fingers is bent as those fingers are crooked. Not saying it isn’t playable but there are some issues this will cause with tuning, mechanical operation, and resale value should you decide to part with it at some point.

BMI is a long time favorite of mine and I’ve had more than any other brand…refurbishing several. I would hope someone didn’t take advantage of you when they sold you this BMI without full disclosure.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2024 10:05 am    

I’ve marked the areas of concern in which I was referring. The body is warped upward above the end plate and those 3 fingers are out of alignment of where they should stop and angled which means the rod they’re mounted on is likely bent inside. But if you’re happy with it that’s all that matters! Winking

You can use a small pair of channel locks to pull that pin out. Just do it carefully so not to break it off. Not sure if they put something inside with it like JB weld but it should come out. Most any hardware store will have the proper rolling pin provided the other didn’t break off inside. You can gauge the depth with a toothpick or anything small enough to fit inside. Considering the angle and limited space… Installing the new one will take a little bit of creativity without dismantling the changer but it’s doable. Just lightly tap it after you apply a little bit of lube.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2024 10:10 am    

The pin bending, It is evident that it has been replaced with an inferior pin. Maybe a piece of proper size coat hanger.

The pin may be removed with a set of small vice grips. Lock firmly on pin and apply a slight twist to the pin. If it will rotate back and fort, It should be easy to pull out.

If you have a local gun smith, They may have a proper size gun pin that would work well.
A good straight proper diameter piece of Spring wire makes a good pin. A Dremel tool and cutoff wheel best for cutting.

Roll pins though hard, With a hole in the center and a slot full length are not strong. But quick and easy to install. If pressure is applied out on the roll pin, Bad things can happen.

Good luck in curing this problem.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2024 10:32 am    

Big Derby Steel secret, but I guess it's OK now that they've gone out of business. Charlie used the little needle bearings out of a U-joint cup for those pins. They won't break, but I don't know which part no. he used to obtain those as they could be different sizes.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2024 6:01 pm    

I purchased my BMI from a dealer that was less than honest. The fingers were misaligned because the axle was bent and badly rusted. I replaced it with a 1/8 diameter drill rod. Several fingers were seized and the rivets loose. The changer is easy to remove if you take good pictures and painters tape to mark and identify the rods. On this mans steel I would pull the changer, clean and polish fingers and replace that axle. BMI has the parts if you want a new finger and axle.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2024 6:56 pm    

I would talk with BMI and see if you can replace the finger.

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2024 12:33 pm    

2o years ago i repaired a old emmons pp the tenth string pin had broken;i drilled the correct size pin hole under the broken pin,made a new pin with small drill bit.still working.
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2024 11:36 am    

Willie Sims wrote:
2o years ago i repaired a old emmons pp the tenth string pin had broken;i drilled the correct size pin hole under the broken pin,made a new pin with small drill bit.still working.
if you can pull the bent pin ,cut a drill bit the proper size,and drive it in the pin
hole. be shure the string brass ball will go over the pin.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2024 1:23 pm    

Obviously, that's not the original pin, but, I can see a very little piece of the original pin protruding from the hole. You need to remove the bent pin and try to drill out or possibly pull out the old broken one. Then, replace it with the correct pin. It looks like what was done was a makeshift repair doomed to failure.